Cataract & Etherington ???

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The farther south you go the better the trails get. Should be fairly smooth. As for grooming, lucky if they see the groomer once a year!

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this has been posted a few times, but here it is again.... trail reports as provided by the parks guys

it usually updated on thursday or fridays.

Summitdoorule

Reaction score
Good news... I have talked to the Forestry/Parks guy yesterday and he informed me he was going to start groomming this week to have the trails in some good shape for the weekend...

Mackie 12

Reaction score
i also will be taken the wife riding on saturday, hopefully there will be some snow left?

Mackie 12

Reaction score
Anyone going Sunday? some one that knows there way through Fording and into B.C.?

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get in contact with Kevin (403)660-7733. He's going out alone and he knows the area.

Smithys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to Cataract on Saturday. Hope to be at the staging area between 9:30am - 10:00am. Never rode this area yet.

Are the trails well marked ? Is there anyone else going tomorrow?

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Going to Cataract on Saturday. Hope to be at the staging area between 9:30am - 10:00am. Never rode this area yet.

Are the trails well marked ? Is there anyone else going tomorrow?

I'll be there as well. Thinking it will be busy out there with all this good weather. Taking my young one with me for his first time out. I'll park at Cataract (second staging area south of the highway just past Etherington) and will be there around 10 AM or so. Black Chev w/ Black Trailer

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Great day out in Cataract with Smithys and Catchme as it was family day where everyone had there kids out riding. Snow was alright on most of the trails and the weather was fantastic. Took my little guy out for his first ride and he was loving it. Got a couple small catwalks in and a couple small 3'/4' jumps with him hanging on and saying woohoo! Lots of video shot today but gotta upload it before I can share, but it's coming!

Thanks for hooking up everyone. That was fun!

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Smithys and Gascan for a great day. I know the kid's had fun. Here's a few pic's.

#1 -Just some scenery
#2 -Same
#3 -Me and catchme jr (Justin at cataract staging area)
#4 - Don't really know what the deal is with this one

Attachments

• 100_0467.JPG
    100_0467.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_0470.JPG
    100_0470.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_0458.JPG
    100_0458.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_0448.JPG
    100_0448.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And some more

#1 - Gascan and little "Gas Cap"
#2 - Gas Cap just itchin to try his dad's new machine
#3 - Gas Cap patiently waiting for his dad again
#4 - The kids hangin out takin five

Attachments

• 100_0447.JPG
    100_0447.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 100_0463.JPG
    100_0463.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_0460.JPG
    100_0460.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 100_0451.JPG
    100_0451.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 69

Klingon Warrior

Reaction score
Hey Gas Can, still planning on going to Cataract on Wednesday?
I'm game and off after Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday are good for me !
Need to go out and put a tank of fuel thru the Dragon before heading to Sicamous for the holidays, let me know.
Klingon Warrior

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Wednesday looks OK for me at this point. Year end is taking a toll on me and still have to complete inventory and year end billing. I'll try and keep Wednesday open and will give you a call Monday night to ensure it works.

Tuesday is supposed to snow so hopefully there's some fresh powder.

Klingon Warrior

Reaction score
Reading thru this thread earlier, there was some question about leaving the trails and going into the cut blocks, etc. The trail system is Groomed by the Govt when there is enough snow to do so, but the trail system is maintained by the Calgary Snowmobile Club, work bees etc, all of the signage was and is provided by the Calgary Club. If you have been there, you'll notice a sign at almost every intersection, with the exception of vandals and mother nature.
We have not had the chance to have one yet this year, so there may be some deadfall, rocks or other obstructions on the trails. You can ride in the cutblocks (let common sense prevail) don't ride in the freshly planted ones or any that have signage indicating you shouldn't be in there. There have been years when there has been 7 to 8 feet of snow on them which made them safe to ride in, otherwise there are stumps, rocks and logs which can damage your machines. As per normal, be good stewards, do not damage trees and life is good. The trail system is quite extensive, and you can go further south than is signed if you know where you are going. At the north end, Fording pass can be a challenge for the inexperienced, and the summitt is usually barren until you get into BC where the powder is. There is a stretch up top where signs indicate you can't leave the trail, you are in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park, until you reach the other side. I understand this is only 1 of 2 places in the country where you can ride in a Provincial Park, stay on the trail or we risk having it closed. The slopes on either side of the trail are hard to resist, but please do. I have always spotted tracks on them where you are not supposed to be. Again, use common sense.
A Trail Pass is not a Mandatory thing anywhere in Alberta although we would like everyone who uses our trail systems to have one. An Alberta Snowmobile Association Trail Pass gives you passage on any trail system in the province, which is represented by 36 or so clubs in the province.
It costs $60.00 for the Provincial Trail pass, and most of the clubs add a small membership fee to that. Before Jan 1, a Calgary Club Membership is $80.00 which includes the trail pass, after Jan 1 it goes to $90.00. Still less than you would spend on a day of riding, fuel, travel, food etc. Your participation also bolsters our numbers, which gives us a larger voice when fighting to keep these riding areas open. We count on your support.
There is a lot more to this story, and I personally think it is a small price to pay to preserve the right to ride in this province, even if you don't want to immerse yourself in the politics of it or go to the meetings.
Please buy a Membership to an ASA member club in this province.
For any more info, please contact me at the Calgary Snowmobile Club,
I'll be all to glad to answer any questions.
Sincerely,
Joel
president@calgarysnowmobileclub.net

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Thanks for posting that here Joel. Some great information for those who don't know the regulations of the park and good info on the trail passes and how it supports this great recreational sport we enjoy.

Top Bottom