Cataract & Etherington ???

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dec.7/09 The trail up to the pass was thin. Only about 5" on the climb up to the shale field. Headed south down Oyster and thats when it started to stack up, 3' just south of the Cattaract boundry and thats in the valley bottom! I hope its a sign of things to come!:d

Attachments

• CattaractCreek_Dec7_09 004.jpg
    CattaractCreek_Dec7_09 004.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 85
  • CattaractCreek_Dec7_09 005.jpg
    CattaractCreek_Dec7_09 005.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 71
  • CattaractCreek_Dec7_09 006.jpg
    CattaractCreek_Dec7_09 006.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 74
  • CattaractCreek_Dec7_09 007.jpg
    CattaractCreek_Dec7_09 007.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 74
  • CattaractCreek_Dec7_09 012.jpg
    CattaractCreek_Dec7_09 012.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 69
  • CattaractCreek_Dec7_09 013.jpg
    CattaractCreek_Dec7_09 013.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 84
  • CattaractCreek_Dec7_09 014.jpg
    CattaractCreek_Dec7_09 014.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 72

X-RS Doo

Reaction score
I need to get out of this office an go riding. I have never rode out at Cataract before. Are you required to stay on the trail system or are you allowed to venture off?:

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to get out of this office an go riding. I have never rode out at Cataract before. Are you required to stay on the trail system or are you allowed to venture off?:

when in the cataract trail system area, i'm pretty sure you are suppose to stay on the trail. there is so much dead fall and stumps in the cut blocks i don't think i'd ride them anyways.

however, you can go west over the divide into bc and everything is fair terrain. and you can also ride south of the system, as i believe neddacsac did, and i don't think there are many regulations down there either.

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those new to riding at cataract make sure your insurance & registration is up to date and with you. I have yet to go there and not be checked at some point in the day.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Trail Pass for Cataract & Etherington areas

I'm not sure if it's mandatory for a trail pass in Kananaskis, but if so they are available from the Calgary Snowmobile Club for 60.00 per sled. I was told you require a trail pass if riding in the parks area at K Country so I bought a couple for my sleds. Well worth it as parks Canada maintains the trail system there and grooms it too. Calgary Snowmobile Club also uses this as the clubs base area so perhaps someone from CSC can chime in here and verify if trail passes are in fact required?

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not speaking on behalf of the club but here's my two bits:

I cannot say for sure whether it's required or not. I can only offer that I have had reg & insurance checked out there but have never been asked for my trail pass.

Cat & Etherington are a bit of an odd duck as it's the only snowmobile trails I'm aware of in BC or Alberta that are maintained by the government. So it may not fall under the list of trails that require ASA trail passes. I ride a few other trails that do (mainly the Crowsnest) so get a trail pass anyways through my Calgary club membership.

I should also mention that the club does have an annual work bee out there to maintain the trails so supporting the Calgary Club helps keep these trails in shape.

To get the goods from the club I'd call one of the contacts on thier web site.

bdietz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of heading out to cataract this weekend prob sun with my 2 boys
never been out there before or anywhere else in the mountains for that matter
just getting back into sledding after a long dry spell and the boys are new to it also
would sure like to hook up with someone that could show us around
we will be ridding a 700 cat and an 800 cat and an 800 polaris rmk
we could use a few pointers

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
I am thinking of heading out to cataract this weekend prob sun with my 2 boys
never been out there before or anywhere else in the mountains for that matter
just getting back into sledding after a long dry spell and the boys are new to it also
would sure like to hook up with someone that could show us around
we will be ridding a 700 cat and an 800 cat and an 800 polaris rmk
we could use a few pointers

Won't be there myself this weekend but last weekend was great. The guys I went out with broke trail and the snow was deep up high and provided a great workout in the trees. I suspect there has been some more sledders out this week and perhaps they packed a few of the trails but there is certainly more to explore.

Here's a link to another thread is in this section that provides a map and snow conditions posted last week. I am sure Parks Canada should release an update on Thursday so check it often and print off the trail map from this link. There's also mapped signs in both staging areas and throughout the marked trails at intersections. Staging at Etherington was good (several clicks south of the highway) and Cataract has a cabin in the parking lot to stage from (another 8 clicks or so south of Etherington). Have fun ride safe and I'm sure others will chime in who might be heading down this weekend.

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its not parks canada that looks after the trails its under kananaskis country. parks canada is federal and k country is provincal.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a warm-up shack at Etherington as well, it's just not in the parking lot. There is a shack with a stove in the first clearing on the right that is usually open and stocked with wood, or someone has left some behind (last year anyways).

l8r Shawn

Top Bottom