Cataract & Etherington ???

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we went over the pass today too. 2 other dudes were also in there. by looking at your trail in it looks like you guys had some trouble in spots to get there... hopefully we get a dump to clean up some of them trenches across the runouts....

it must have been at least 10 degree's warmer on the bc side than it was on the ab side. still wind blown, but we managed to find some nice deep soft pockets hidden in the trees. got some turns in, and was way better than xmas shopping. can't complain.

trail in on the ab side still needs more snow, but considering it must be at least a month earlier than the first trip in last year, i'm not complaining.

cliffclavin

Reaction score
we went over the pass today too. 2 other dudes were also in there. by looking at your trail in it looks like you guys had some trouble in spots to get there... hopefully we get a dump to clean up some of them trenches across the runouts....

it must have been at least 10 degree's warmer on the bc side than it was on the ab side. still wind blown, but we managed to find some nice deep soft pockets hidden in the trees. got some turns in, and was way better than xmas shopping. can't complain.

trail in on the ab side still needs more snow, but considering it must be at least a month earlier than the first trip in last year, i'm not complaining.

How cold was it when you guys unloaded? Planning on going out to Maclean tomorrow just to get out....figured it would be easier to drive 40 minutes to Maclean then 1hr and 40 to Cataract. With the forecasted temps we figured on sledding for an hour or two before we got too cold....ya ya, I wear a skirt but -25 is just too cold for my low windshield (see its not my fault but rather my low windshield....) :)

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol, make all the excuses you want, i don't even have a windshield... :)
it was around -21 in the morning, and i think it was -23 when we left for home. coming out of the mountains it got colder and colder, and by the time we got to black diamond it was -28.
i don't imagine mclean will be much better than calgary... i rode there one time (my first, only and last time) and i think it was -mid30's all the way from my house right to the staging area. unless you cross a pass or something like we did, you'll see (feel) no significant temp change.

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode for 3 and a half hours at Mclean today.....-26 or colder and after a few minutes of blasting trail...I totally forgot about the temperatures...I was still working up a sweat and trying to stay dry was more of an issue.....it was -29 when I packed up for home

I did manage to get some hero cam footage too.......:)

posted in powderface section

cliffclavin

Reaction score
Rode for 3 and a half hours at Mclean today.....-26 or colder and after a few minutes of blasting trail...I totally forgot about the temperatures...I was still working up a sweat and trying to stay dry was more of an issue.....it was -29 when I packed up for home

I did manage to get some hero cam footage too.......:)

I am pretty sure I am not going to forget about the cold! Plugged the truck in this morning, brrr...... Hope the conditions were ok at Maclean, guess I will find out in a bit....

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Pics??:confused:

Cliff Clavin

Reaction score
Well it was not too bad out today at Maclean Creek. Snow conditions were passable, mostly covered but plenty of rocks and stumps to watch out for. Weather was not as bad as I thought it would be....Certainly cold but the muff pot hot dogs were second to none....Great to get out on the old sled!

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pass summitx,jim mercier,quinn. First break and the cat went first. fordingpass dec 09 001.jpg

fordingpass dec 09 003.jpg

Last edited:

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good on you guys for getting out to pound in some fun. I'm stuck at home with sick kids but hope to out riding next week. Where's that video Heikki?

Hey gas can give a call i busy fri night and sat night all depends on the SNOW. 403 815 7450 we go again.I take it u did`nt go to golden this past weekend.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Didn't make Golden and have rescheduled for January. Kids have the flu and I damaged the front end on that rock last week. Sleds ready to go now and hopefully my kids are better this week. I'll give you a ring.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't make Golden and have rescheduled for January. Kids have the flu and I damaged the front end on that rock last week. Sleds ready to go now and hopefully my kids are better this week. I'll give you a ring.

stupid rock, i wrecked my carbide too when i went over the handle bars.... just so happened i had spare, so it was an easy fix.

foothills second pic was of a trech he dug. he went first, then an xp tried to follow, and well he didn't quite make it. took 4 of us awhile to dig that pit and get the sled out of it. the pic doesn't really do it justice.

heres another pic from the little pond on the right just after you get over the pass. didn't look like anybody had been in there yet...

Attachments

• PC120083r.JPG
    PC120083r.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 70

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saweeeeet! Looks like you guys had a good time. As for the XP rider, don't feel bad, I've followed that M8 before and he does dig a wicked frickin' trench. lmao

That thing does trench! Even on the trail. Ian believes WOT throttle helps with cooling but I fail to understand that when all the snow is going out the back end in a roost and leaving a 12" deep rut.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
That thing does trench! Even on the trail. Ian believes WOT throttle helps with cooling but I fail to understand that when all the snow is going out the back end in a roost and leaving a 12" deep rut.

First time I rode with Ian was a couple weekends back and I know I heard him say "The Throttles Your Best Friend" at least two or three times that afternoon. :cool:

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First time I rode with Ian was a couple weekends back and I know I heard him say "The Throttles Your Best Friend" at least two or three times that afternoon. :cool:

It is at the right time, but he goes WOT to help with cooling. I dont buy what he's selling.

Shock

Reaction score
Going to Cataract of Friday with my Honey. Are the trails groomed and in desent shape for a nice easy trail ride?

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to Cataract of Friday with my Honey. Are the trails groomed and in desent shape for a nice easy trail ride?

The trails we did to head west were ok. THey were smooth, but that was because there wasn't enough snow to get whooped out.

You'll be riding over lots of rock if you take the same trails we did.

Not sure how south is.

Top Bottom