Cataract Creek Snow Conditions - Update Nov 29-09

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
I took a drive down to Cataract Creek and Etherington staging areas yesterday to check out the snow, and there isn't much to report. Both staging areas have 2-3 inches on the ground and that was it. Lots of rocks, plenty of bare spots, open water in the creeks and nothing I saw that is ready to ride. Here are some pictures taken along Hwy #40 Saturday afternoon. Hopefully people can update this thread throughout December?

We need to see a good dump of snow down there real soon! :)

Attachments

• SP 006.jpg
    SP 006.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 96
  • SP 013.jpg
    SP 013.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 90
  • SP 020.jpg
    SP 020.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 85
  • SP 030.jpg
    SP 030.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 92

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anybody been back out to check conditions since this snow fell in calgary??

cliffclavin

Reaction score
anybody been back out to check conditions since this snow fell in calgary??

Apparently there is snow in the forecast for Friday and Saturday. If the snow materializes on Friday, it may make sense to give it a try on Saturday. I have not been up since last year but like many others, I am dying to get out and ride....

Divideride

Reaction score
Man I hope it snows enough soon cause I can't afford to drive to Golden to get the deep snow. I've never been to Cataract, what's it like further up? Is there lots of snow or is it patchy most of the year?

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep the weather guys have called an advisory 10 to 20cms friday night......perhaps that might be enough to get out there....just a question...when the road is rideable (940)...how far down can you go ?????

It might be dicey for travel to crowsnest on 22..???? Hmmmm.......

At this point I would be happy to be able to pin the flipper on my sled a few times in the parking lot....:d

here is forecast

ngs
Okotoks - High River - Claresholm
3:02 PM MST Thursday 03 December 2009
Winter storm warning for
Okotoks - High River - Claresholm issued

An Arctic cold front will sweep southeastward across Southern Alberta Friday bringing snow blowing snow and strong winds. This is a warning that dangerous winter weather conditions are imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions...Listen for updated statements.

An Arctic cold front will sweep rapidly southeastward across Southern Alberta through the day Friday. This front will be accompanied by snow, strong winds and blowing snow. Snowfall accumulations of 10 to 20 centimetres can be expected in many regions by midnight Friday. The front will also be accompanied by strong north to northwest winds resulting in widespread blowing snow and near zero visibilities. These reduced visibilities will be most pronounced in exposed and rural areas. The winds will slowly begin to ease overnight Friday.

In the wake of this cold front much cooler air will settle over the province on Saturday.

This winter storm can produce poor travelling conditions. Persons in or near these areas should be on the lookout for adverse weather conditions and listen for updated warnings.

Over the southwest strong west winds will develop through some mountain passes and adjacent valleys this evening. These winds will persist into Friday morning before easing below warning levels.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
That's good info Heikki. If it snows that much on Friday, I'll be out first thing Saturday AM to test it out. Hopefully the cold over the last few days was enough to get the creeks to freeze up as well, but doubt that?

Hwy 40 is gravel and runs down to crowsnest from the paved intersection, but they do have a snow gate just south of the Cataract staging area that says it closes December 1st. Guess that gives you one way in and one way out.

I'm gonna load up and head down there Saturday with one sled. Anyone?

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OOOOoooooooh I hope they get lots, we are thinking of taking a quick trip out there Sat too! Nice thing with Cataract is one good dump and riding can be goooooooooood :D Anyone remember April of I think it was well shoot I can't remember what year it was (A FEW ago) it was bare bones at Cataract and over night was crazy snow. We went out and unloaded at the Highwood river in and road down the closed highway, rode all day and came back to a foot of snow on the deck..sigh...those were the good old days!! ;) lol

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
I'll be there Saturday to get some hours on the new sled. Driving the black 09 GMC pictured above w/ black enclosed trailer. Riding a white Nytro with black and white Yamaha riding gear. Say hello if you're down there.

GasCan

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We will have a 3/4 white crew cab duramax and riding a black 800 and a King Kat, if you see us same thing! lol Oh lets all do the snow dance !

poorboy

Reaction score
if snows nice on sat could you please let one know have 2 kids wanting to go thanks

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GasCan you know we are going to be looking for pictures if your go out tomorrow. It's snowing pretty good here as well so I might just have to go unload a couple machines and go for a rip in a stubble field later today.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
GasCan you know we are going to be looking for pictures if your go out tomorrow. It's snowing pretty good here as well so I might just have to go unload a couple machines and go for a rip in a stubble field later today.

Will do Randy. I'll take the camera and the camcorder and see what kind of footage I can get tomorrow. Heading home now to bolt some new goodies on the sled and get them fueled up. I'll post when I get home tomorrow night.

highstage

Reaction score
OOOOoooooooh I hope they get lots, we are thinking of taking a quick trip out there Sat too! Nice thing with Cataract is one good dump and riding can be goooooooooood :D Anyone remember April of I think it was well shoot I can't remember what year it was (A FEW ago) it was bare bones at Cataract and over night was crazy snow. We went out and unloaded at the Highwood river in and road down the closed highway, rode all day and came back to a foot of snow on the deck..sigh...those were the good old days!! ;) lol

i cant wait until big dog gets that new m1000 and i can nut stomp him with my skud hahahah have a good day cant wait to go to the mountians guys

Top Bottom