Snow Conditions - Cataract Creek Jan 20-2010

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
With a good existing base and up to 3m on higher elevations, there's more snow in the forecast for Friday Jan 22nd and Saturday 23rd with expectations of up to 5cm each day. Should be a great ride for Sunday and some fresh snow to be found. This will also help the trails down low as things have now cooled off in the region temperature wise.

Here's the forecast for this week in K Country

Canadian Avalanche Reports for South Rockies

I will be out early on Sunday (onsite for 10:00 AM Etherington staging area) to get a good ride in and check out the upper trails to the southwest including Oyster and Skyline. Should be fun with some fresh powder drifting up high.

See ya there!

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely shaping up to be a good weekend......thanks for the info GC.....that radar is cool :cool:

Saturday for me....I always seem to get there late (1pm) and end up my ride in the dark :rolleyes:

let it snow.. let it snow

Klingon Warrior

Reaction score
Loving this white frost today with light snow, hopefully parlays into some fresh snow for Sunday in the foothills !

wheels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was thinking of taking the family down on sunday and was wondering about sled regestration. I have everything for the big sleds but not for my kids 120 and 300. Would i need to have that for them to ride thier sleds not even sure if i can regester the 120. Also is there trail maps at the parking lot? have not been there in years. Thanxs for any info!

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Was thinking of taking the family down on sunday and was wondering about sled regestration. I have everything for the big sleds but not for my kids 120 and 300. Would i need to have that for them to ride thier sleds not even sure if i can regester the 120. Also is there trail maps at the parking lot? have not been there in years. Thanxs for any info!

Got spot checked for reg/ins there a couple weeks ago and asked these exact questions of the parks guy. He said and I quote;

• Registration and Insurance is mandatory on all sleds including 120cc
  • Only 50cc (actually 49cc) dirt bikes are exempt from reg/ins

The 50cc stuff is ok because they cannot be registered in Alberta but they can only be ridden with adult supervision. When I questioned him on the 120cc sleds, he said he couldn't speak for every officer, but that most would overlook the 120cc sleds if ridden beside an adult and rider being a small child and wearing a helmet. I'd think you're safe with the 120, but be sure to have the 300 registered an insured regardless of the riders age. The officers can use discretion but if you cross the wrong one, no reg/ins results in almost 600.00 in fines.

Trail and there are trail markers provided courtesy of he Calgary Snowmobile Club at each intersection or trail crossing. Hope this helps.

wheels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you Gascan for the info i will be sure to register the 300 but i don't think i will regester the 120 he is only 4 and i'm not sure how much he will ride anyhow. I pull a sliegh behind me and when he gets tired i throw it in and tow it. Hope it is a good day kids are very excited. Thanks again!!!

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Thank you Gascan for the info i will be sure to register the 300 but i don't think i will regester the 120 he is only 4 and i'm not sure how much he will ride anyhow. I pull a sliegh behind me and when he gets tired i throw it in and tow it. Hope it is a good day kids are very excited. Thanks again!!!

If I see you there, I'll be sure to stop and say hello. FYI, the Etherington staging area is about 7 klm south of the highway. Just to the southwest of the parking lot it opens into a large open field near the warm up shack and this is a great area for the kids to practice their skills with no obstructions. Have fun!

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think it is actually just around the corner from the 5km marker.... but who's counting:):)

greginbragg

Reaction score
I'm looking to go on Sunday, the 24th and head over Fording to the B.C. side. If anyone is interested in joining me, p.m. me.:mountainClimb:

X-RS Doo

Reaction score
I would be interested in going out for a ride tomorrow. I have never rode the Cataract trails so it would be good to go with someone that is familiar with the trails.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
I would be interested in going out for a ride tomorrow. I have never rode the Cataract trails so it would be good to go with someone that is familiar with the trails.

Heading out of Calgary at 8:00 AM tomorrow and will be at the Etherington Staging area at 10:00 AM. I think the Klingon has the same plans and know there was a couple others who might make it out? See ya there at 10 AM

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
gascan, cause i missed today i'm gonna head out tomorrow. hope you don't mind if i tag along!! sounds like you'll be staging at etherignton at 10... c u there!!

wheels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got the sleds loaded up and the gear is packed hoping the wind takes off and it is a better day tommorow.Kids are stoked to ride hope to be there by 10:30-11:00. Maybe there will be a little fresh snow to track up. Going to park at Etherington. See you there!!!

X-RS Doo

Reaction score
Heading out of Calgary at 8:00 AM tomorrow and will be at the Etherington Staging area at 10:00 AM. I think the Klingon has the same plans and know there was a couple others who might make it out? See ya there at 10 AM
OK. See ya tomorrow morning. Let's hope it keeps snowing.

ArcticRob

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I am new to the Calgary area and am only familiar with the sparwood and Golden sledding regions. I understand that K-country is pretty sweet, but I don't really know where to stage. From what I have seen on the map and read in this forum, the staging area is at Etherington Creek and you get to it from Long view via road 541 and then turn south where it meets hwy 40 and the staging area is about 7 km down 40. Please somebody let me know if this is correct. thanks, see you guys out there tomorrow

ArcticRob

Reaction score
Great, thanks a lot, I really appreciate the quick reply! See you on the trails, if you are out on the trails tomorrow and you see an orange m8 and an xp I made!

campstove

Reaction score
thinking about coming out on sun. 31. hows the snow?? i haven't been there in 8-10 years, mainly ride revy, but sounds like a fun area. plus its only 2.5 to 3 hrs vs. 8!!!! also, i realize that this a trail system, but i'm assuming there is some good play areas?? not much of a trail guy,luv the trees!!:d...any info would be greatly appreciated.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
There's some tree riding to the southwest of the posted trails and also one can ride over the fording pass into BC. Etherington staging area around 9:30 AM should net some people to ride with. Might be there myself on Sunday.

Top Bottom