Cataract/Etherington 2013/14 Thread

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Kaz Dog. Met up with you last Saturday at the one intersection (and at the survival cabin), we were riding the Mountain Cats and the Summit. Was an awesome day in the sunshine. As we told you, been riding in there for 20+ years and would like to help out on fixing up the trails, etc. Please keep me informed on what is needed and when you plan to go out.
cheers

As for what is needed out there, I think we discussed the bridge over what we call "The Hole". The creek crossing that you have try and make the steep climb out on ice from the water heading into the Pass.
Thanks martyscar! And I am currently following up with another rider who has pictures of what we discussed. I will make it there by the end of the year, I just do not know when just yet.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide a conditions update from last weekend? Trails as well as over the pass.

Set from my slave driver

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide a conditions update from last weekend? Trails as well as over the pass.

Set from my slave driver
Trails leaving Etherington and Cataract parking areas headed west are whoopty-doo'ed pretty bad, south out of Cataract on the Forestry Trunk Road/Wilkinson Summit Trail is very good in comparison. Trails on the very west side of the system have great snow: Oyster Excursion, Fallers, and the western north-south section of Etherington Trail up-over-and-down the ridge I found a pleasure to ride. Any high point on the trails be ware of "blow-overs" and associated hard drifts. Raspberry Trail is very good - lots of fresh snow in the "open areas". The north section of Cummings Trail has lots of snow, but is bumpy as well. Pasque Trail has a lot of snow, not many bumps. The route to Baril Creek Trail - to go over the pass: Etherington-->Baril Loop-->Baril Creek Trail has the worst whoopty-doo's in the whole system, IMO. Some sort of Grooming is needed, and will take $$$.

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Set from my slave driver

u8azevy5.jpg

Trails were chit. Snow was pretty not bad on Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Set from my slave driver

We went over the pass on Friday March 21st. The trail getting there is whooped out like crazy, maybe not as bad as i have seen it other years, but pretty bad. All 4 creek crossings were passable with no effort, and the couple climbs were in pretty good shape too. The snow on the BC side wasn't all that good. It had from 12-18" of fresh on a pretty solid base that you couldn't really break through, which made for some real hero snow type of conditions. We tried a couple spots over there and the overall consensus was that we wouldn't be going back untill they get another dump of snow. We didn't play on any slopes due to avy danger, so i have no cooments to provide with regards to the condition of the snow on the slopes in the back bowl.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe these guys can provide more conditions in the back. And in the bowl in the Red Bar Avalanche Conditions. Crazy!! Not my video. Put up 3 days ago.

haha, i saw that coming as soon as he turned towards it!! be familiar with your surroundings!

looks like our tracks from last friday were still there.... maybe with the snow yesterday they finally got covered up??

knocksum

Reaction score

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

TryHonesty

Reaction score
That was me, getting snowblind suddenly is a bitch, thus better goggles on the way.

Sled is fine, just broken plastic, 2 stitches, smoked knee, bruises and damaged pride. More pissed it wasn't later in the day!!

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That was me, getting snowblind suddenly is a bitch, thus better goggles on the way.

Sled is fine, just broken plastic, 2 stitches, smoked knee, bruises and damaged pride. More pissed it wasn't later in the day!!

A similar thing happened to me last year in Elkford. Hit my helmet/noggin on my handlebars after going over wind-blown, corniced depression above treeline. Went down 15 feet before I knew it and ended up with a cut and bandage on my forehead. Good to hear nothing major happened as an outcome.

Storm Rider

Reaction score
Anyone available to go out during this week?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are 3 of us want to ride cataract on friday. Haven't ridden there for 15 years so if your interested in having 2 relatively conservative riders and 1 more advanced join you that would be awesome. Don't really remember the area though. If this works let me know.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

Storm Rider

Reaction score
I always have my gps with me so at least I can get back.
Wanna call me so we can connect? 403-862-6359 I'm working so at noon or after 430

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just asked my Daughter..... cause she would know..... She said she has in the parking lot but its like hold it the right way and then its iffy. She did say she was texting on top of Skyline. Our provider is Telus, she was using an Iphone.

Top Bottom