Cataract/Etherington 2013/14 Thread

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cell coverage is erratic....Skyline for sure.Never had any coverage at the parking lot.I use Virgin.

TryHonesty

Reaction score
You have to get within 6 mikes of Longview to get any reception on your return. With one blip at the top of that one foothill as an exception. Telus must have alot of landlines out there.

Hirmkin

Reaction score
I haven’t been to Cataract lately will there be enough snowin the beginning trails to go for one last ride with the kid?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When is the official closing day???? If it has a opening day it should also have a closing day. Its in a park that's why it has rules

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the gate is open on the main road at Cataract parking lot the area is closed.....

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The parking lot right at Cataract is huge. you will be fine. Road gate is closed right at the parking lot so you cant miss it.

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See if this works. you can see how big the parking lot is.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Al...2!3m1!1s0x5309b282a82419b5:0xb0a9479a409b8e9e

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.282249,-114.5907531,596m/data=!3m1!1e3

The gate that closes the main road is at the south end of the parking lot.

Thanks. If the sun shows its face tomorrow I'm out there for sure.
Only been out there a couple of times and parked in the first lot but it sounds like lots of changes happened 10 months ago.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call it a season out there. Road all the way to the mine and back. Snow was very Iso down by Round Prairie. 5cm of new at the pass but a thin season in general in that direction. Lots of bare spots showing on the way back. Melted out over the course of the day.

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went south yesterday. The trails were groomed beauty by Mother Nature. 4" fresh in the back. Beauty day, but the trails down low to the truck were mud on the way out.
y2abyje5.jpg
sy5yda8a.jpg
umaryqad.jpg
ma9urusa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marley

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went south yesterday. The trails were groomed beauty by Mother Nature. 4" fresh in the back. Beauty day, but the trails down low to the truck were mud on the way out.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/20/y2abyje5.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/20/sy5yda8a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/20/umaryqad.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/20/ma9urusa.jpg

Did we cross paths with you guys on saturday? 2 guys on FreeRides with skis?

Nitrobkr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did we cross paths with you guys on saturday? 2 guys on FreeRides with skis?

No sir, we didn't see anyone at all. Not even a track. Only one freeride in our group.

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry I did not post this earlier, but wanted everyone to know that tomorrow, Sunday, April 27, the Calgary Snowmobile Club Trails Committee, with a request from Alberta Parks, is removing the snowmobile ramp at the Cataract Creek P.R.A. parking lot. This is being done due to creek run-off, and the impending end of the trail system access as of Wednesday, April 30. You will still be able to access the Wilkinson Creek Trail, south from the parking lot, until April 30, when the gate/road will open for vehicle traffic. If anyone would like to access Cataract Creek Trail, please use the drop-off area at the Lost Creek Road gate, at kilometer 11, just north of the parking lot, if it is not being used for hauling logs..

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to thank Kaz Dog on behalf of my group,for all the work you did this year to get the trail system usable.Your work was greatly appreciated.Thanks for all the updates between Alberta Parks and the snowmobile user group.Please keep us posted on updates for the area regarding clean up,repairs and groomer.If there is anything that you need or would like a hand with, please let me/all of us know. Thanks again....

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bunn, to you and your group, along with all the other thanks I have received this past winter!

I will continue to inform via this thread, until I - or someone else - starts a new one for winter 2014-2015.

Just a heads up on a few things:
- I hope to be meeting with AB. E.S.R.D., AB. PARKS, SLS (sawmill), and C.C.S.A.T.C. of the C.S.C. if a planned meeting is possible to go ahead. It will be in regard to the area, flood recovery plans from all sides, and harvesting plans for SLS.
- there is a D8 bulldozer sitting just inside the gate at Etherington as of this past Sunday. It looks like they are going to start working there very soon, if not already.
- there will be trail maintenance days upcoming, all are invited to participate as "guests" of the C.S.C. (insurance/liability thing). I will be posting on this thread, as well as contacting directly those who have helped this past winter, and others who have indicated they would like to.

I would like to thank Kaz Dog on behalf of my group,for all the work you did this year to get the trail system usable.Your work was greatly appreciated.Thanks for all the updates between Alberta Parks and the snowmobile user group.Please keep us posted on updates for the area regarding clean up,repairs and groomer.If there is anything that you need or would like a hand with, please let me/all of us know. Thanks again....

Top Bottom