Cataract creek snowmobile area offical thread 2015/16

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK here`s the scoop. NO Snow at the Cataract Staging area. BUT snow deep inside the area. We have been out flattening the trails just to be prepared if we get more snow in the future. Skyline trail was totally plugged with snowdrifts up to 8 feet high in places. We used the NEW All Track 20GS to clear those trails. it took us 13 hours just to do Skyline Trail. So for you who purchased a Trail Pass to support trail development your money has been well invested in the future of Cataract trails.

Area needs snow to access the better areas.

Thanks ALL TRACK for letting us use the new groomer

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glen, ever find out what the CO's were doing out there last week?

Reaction score
Here is a short clip of the drifting up on Skyline. The guys were using the AllTrack 20SG to clear the drifts, and prepare the trail for grooming.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The season isn`t over yet but just on hold till Mother Nature gets her s@#$ together. I'm sure we are going to get another dump or 3 yet. Good as time as every to thank those that have made it easier for us to enjoy this area. I would like to thank the Calgary Snowmobile Club and supporters for showing the interest and drive to take this area on. ALL TRACK for the use of the new to the market snowmobile trail groomer and drag. The Accessories Shop from High River for sponsoring 400 litres of diesel fuel for the groomer. The Alberta Government departments who let us take it on as a project and not shutting the area down after the flood in 2013. All of you who purchased a ASA Trail Pass this season. The Alberta Snowmobile Association for putting the trail package together so clubs can put trails on the ground as well as $8000.00 plus dollars of trail signage for the area.All the volunteers and their equipment that worked on the trails to get them ready in the fall and thruout the season. Scott for his long term work with the government departments, backcountry flood group and Spray Lake Sawmills just to mention a few.
We got the groomer a little late and slowly making a difference out there. We are getting schooled on its use and what it can do for us and what we have to do for it to improve the trails for safe family riding.
Hope I didn't miss anyone and Thanks again.

Will post trail reports when we get snow. Keep on dancing

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it a 20-GS or as 20-SG?
Kind a curious what it looks like, been searching the internet without much luck. Unless it is a SG.

It is a AT-20SG - as in Snow Groomer - and is a modified "Model AT-20HD", one that they have been building for the oil & gas/forestry industries for a while now. All Tracks has not put up a lot of information on their official site as a unit for sale as they/we are still refining it, but it is more than 95% completed.

I will have a grooming report posted later this morning.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
NOTICE TO ALL USES OF THE ETHERINGTON PARKING LOT FOR TRAIL ACCESS

ALBERTA PARKS has just advised me that the ETHERINGTON P.R.A. WILL BE CLOSED FOR USE/ACCESS TO THE PARKING LOT next week as there are flood repairs starting relating to the access road for the campground.

“Please be advised that construction on the new entrance road culvert at Etherington Creek Campground has been accelerated to next week due to unseasonably warm temperatures and water starting to flow. The site will be closed ‎to the public for approximately 6 weeks."

I will post more detailed information as soon as I have spoke directly to the appropriate contact today.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ouch hit us while we are down (No snow) LOL.
Glad to see more improvements to the area.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alberta Parks is undertaking flood repair work within the Etherington Public Recreation Area (PRA) and will close off public access to "it" and the parking lot - AFTER THIS WEEKEND. This is where the Cataract Creek Snowmobile Trails "north" access is located - and the shortest route to Fording Pass.

To access the trails after this weekend - for possibly up to the next 6 weeks - please use the Cataract Creek PRA parking lot, where Highway 940 is gated.

Spray Lake Sawmill is actively using the Lost Creek Road 2 kms. before the Cataract Creek parking lot, so please do not use this area to park - your vehicle/trailer may be moved by an excavator, dozer, or semi-truck. As well, it is a S.T.A.R.S. designated landing zone, and would not be able to be used if vehicles/trailers are parked there.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have not been there in 6 weeks, is cat creek still frozen?

2blue

Reaction score
So just to be clear can we go snowmobiling here or no there is enough snow? And which staging area supposed to go to that actually has snow?

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only staging area available to us is the one at Cat Creek. Go back a few posts and read Kaz's posts

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The way it is right now is. Staging at Etherignton still OK till Monday Feb 29. If you have a older sled that's fan cooled and no flipper tracks you could ride the area. Trails are icy and hard. Lower trails are worse than upper trails. Snow is coming again and conditions will improve. Grooming ice is not easy work on machines. Things will get better.
If you ride Fording can you give us a condition update please

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it rained or snowed there this weekend? Heading there Tuesday to check out culvert installation on Etherington staging area.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not been been riding going on 7 weeks. Been so long I probably should have summerized my sleds.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glen is looking to head out tomorrow to groom - new snow over the last two days is the story. Stay tuned.

Top Bottom