Cataract creek snowmobile area offical thread 2015/16

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm afraid after this thaw its going to be a skating rink out there. Warm winds are not good for snowpack. Lets hope it cools off fast.

tucker_98

Reaction score
I'm afraid after this thaw its going to be a skating rink out there. Warm winds are not good for snowpack. Lets hope it cools off fast.
Hey Glen, was planning on doing a trip down there this weekend for a day or even two... With current conditions are people better off staying away? How bad is snow loss so far? Any mud or brown spots showing up yet? Forecast for tomorrow not looking too promising at +10... Figured I would ask instead of heading down and doing more damage...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Glen, was planning on doing a trip down there this weekend for a day or even two... With current conditions are people better off staying away? How bad is snow loss so far? Any mud or brown spots showing up yet? Forecast for tomorrow not looking too promising at +10... Figured I would ask instead of heading down and doing more damage...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Thanks for asking. Lay off till Sunday going to be cooler
I would stay away while it is this warm. Snow turns to a slurppy and when it freezes is a rock hard pile of ice moggul. Way to hard to groom these ice moguls. No rocks or dirt showing yet but as you get closer to the 2 staging areas the base is getting thinner. When this freezes again it will be scratcher use for sure until we get some more snow. Forecast is calling for some snow lets hope its a good dump

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glen and I did some grooming yesterday, more "shaving" than "cutting". We were able to shave off some of the moguls on some of the trails, but this will not mean anything if it did not get below zero last night. As well, if sledders are there in numbers before Sunday/good freezing weather and snow arrives, our efforts will not matter. There is nothing a great dump of snow will not fix.

On the trails we worked yesterday, 99.7% of the trails were a white ribbon. Very few small amounts of brown stuff is showing up, closer to the parking lots. As usual, the snow to the west side of the system is fine, the base is solid almost everywhere.

We lost the ice bridge Glen had been flooded on Cataract Creek prior to the Poker Run. Right now there are two, open water shallow crossings. This is not good, and will be talked about with the Backcountry Trails Flood Rehabilitation project team.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was thinking of going to Fording tomorrow, anyone been back there lately?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was thinking of going to Fording tomorrow, anyone been back there lately?

Don't know about today but some were out the other day. Seen them heading out in the AM. No report on how it was.

Heard avalanches coming down today. Spooky

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The C.S.C.'s Facebook page received a question about Cataract Creek Snowmobile Trails just now, and I thought I would copy and paste my response.:

Groomed yesterday and today, and the news is not good. From parking lots to first trail junctions, snow is very thin. We have decided to not groom anymore, until we get more snow. That, and we had a drag break today doing a job it was not designed for. The snow was very heavy and wet. Did what we could, but I am not happy with the results. There is snow on the west side (and southern) trails, but if it freezes going into this weekend, all trails will be very hard and icy. WE NEED A BIG DUMP OF SNOW.

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone snowmobiled at Cataract/Etherington this past weekend? I am not sure of snow conditions, or if any new snow was on the ground on Saturday, or Sunday morning. Anyone who has knowledge of this would be a great help.

Dmas88

Reaction score
Was out on the southern trails Sunday afternoon. Left about 7:30pm and there were only a few snowflakes falling at that point, didn't look like there was any more about to fall. Trails were pretty rough, but still white. if you don't feel like going to the gym, go riding, better workout! :p

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No snow in the forecast for the foreseeable future and temps in the plus teens. What a chitty season this has been. Might be time to park the sled and get the car on the road

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is what happened last year. I waited for the conditions to get better. Waited for base... It never came. I got out twice all season. Been out twice already this year and looks like might have to drive a little farther if I want to get some more seat time. :-(

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Prior to Xmas it was looking like it would be a really good season, since Xmas it has been chit.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We do know that the trails on the south end of the system (Pasque, Cummings, Skyline, Oyster Excursion, and Fallers) and the back/western parts of Cataract and Etherington are very good with snow. We plan to go out with the All Tracks groomer and drag early next week. (Sorry, complications/further improvements with the machine and this weekends' Calgary Boat & Sportsmen's Show are taking up our time right now.)

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking of taking the family for a little ride this Saturday near the cook house at Cataract. Any updates?

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it wasnt long ago that i would get excited for the weekend to get out and go sledding, the lack of snow and crazy warm weather for this time of year is rapidly killing that excitement. i was going to go for a ride on sunday but 5 hours driving wasnt worth it. i imagine the parking lot and the field by the camp kitchen at etherington are bare.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are hoping to have feet on the ground within the next two days, and let everyone know of the conditions.

From what I "can see", the Lost Creek Weather Station, just south of the official trails, is reporting freezing temperatures for the last two weeks, and new snow fell on Saturday, of some note. This would lead me to believe, and advise, to drop off at Cataract Creek parking lot, take Cataract Creek Trail (which will be sketchy - probably - plus ice bridge is out and you have to cross through an open Cataract Creek) to the Cataract Creek Spray Lake Sawmill bridge. Cross on the snowmobile trail across Cataract Creek here, then go straight ahead and on to Cummings Trail. From here, you can go all the way south to Pasque Trail, or cut off at "the cross over trail" to Skyline and Oyster-Excursion, and proceed south on one of these. This is where the snow will be good.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Heading out Thursday to do more testing and video with the ALL TRACK groomer. Sure hope it cools down and snows more

Cal_Doo

Reaction score
I went for a ride on Superbowl Sunday, parked at Etherington and left the truck around 11:30. Valley bottom trails were super hard packed and icy, I had a hard time keeping my sled's temperature down on he way out. That being said, coverage was still good, the meadow still had plenty of snow, and the trail headed west from Etherington had good coverage. Took Raspberry Ridge, then Fallers to Skyline, and headed east on Pasque to where it meets Cummings. Snow on Skyline and Pasque was great, enough wind and drifting it was like fresh, especially on Pasque. It was still a great day, but I'm definitely still doing a snow dance. Here's to hoping March brings some snowflakes!

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love to hear confirmation that the trails south of Cataract Creek are holding the good snow!
I went for a ride on Superbowl Sunday, parked at Etherington and left the truck around 11:30. Valley bottom trails were super hard packed and icy, I had a hard time keeping my sled's temperature down on he way out. That being said, coverage was still good, the meadow still had plenty of snow, and the trail headed west from Etherington had good coverage. Took Raspberry Ridge, then Fallers to Skyline, and headed east on Pasque to where it meets Cummings. Snow on Skyline and Pasque was great, enough wind and drifting it was like fresh, especially on Pasque. It was still a great day, but I'm definitely still doing a snow dance. Here's to hoping March brings some snowflakes!

Top Bottom