Cataract creek snowmobile area offical thread 2015/16

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty standard for the area south to be in great condition but not have access to the area because of lack of snow near the parking lots. The grooming will be a huge asset to the area getting the trails packed to extend the life of the snow.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was out today testing the big groomer again. Noticed 5 government Co and parks trucks in the Etherington staging area. They rode into fording area. How far in they went I don't know. Sure hope they aren't going to find to much wrong up there like riders driving all over the parks back there. That trail is to access BC only. No off trail riding in Alberta. They were checking out the off trails on Barill loop also. Would really like to know what they were up to.
I me motioned on another thread that we need a working group to be part of CSC to watch and maintain the Fording Pass access trail. Hope it's not to late.
Good day out there +5 in places. Snow holding up good. Icy trail in. Scratches are necessary on the trails.
Let's hope the government was just on a take a friend snowmobiling day and not looking for anything.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or maybe they are seeing how popular the area is getting and realizing how important it is and possibly thinking they need to enlarge the area to accommodate all the traffic. I'm a cup half full kind of thinker. ;-)

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Or maybe they are seeing how popular the area is getting and realizing how important it is and possibly thinking they need to enlarge the area to accommodate all the traffic. I'm a cup half full kind of thinker. ;-)

This is the government. What are u smoking?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Trail expansion would be a good idea. Let's get what we have all taken care of first and look for something in the future.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not been out in 4 weeks. This double digit warm weather has scared me away

edit - fawking dam autocorrect

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Image not been out in 4 weeks. This double digit warm weather has scared me away

I hear ya'! Glen and I will be out Tuesday to do some testing with the groomer. If all goes well we will get down a trail from the Cataract Creek parking lot. We will keep you all posted about the outcome.

Dmas88

Reaction score
Lots of bare spots from cataract creek lot. Lot itself is pure ice. Once you get to Cummings, all seems to get better. Not sure if staging is an option if coming in @ the south end of 940? I would be curious to know if there is snow from the point the road closes there. Would also be nice to get on some of the logging roads and stage at the bridge area near Cummings /Barill loop junction. That would save a lot of trails being beat up even more. Desperately need some snow soon or it will be bare ground all the way to that point soon.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lots of bare spots from cataract creek lot. Lot itself is pure ice. Once you get to Cummings, all seems to get better. Not sure if staging is an option if coming in @ the south end of 940? I would be curious to know if there is snow from the point the road closes there. Would also be nice to get on some of the logging roads and stage at the bridge area near Cummings /Barill loop junction. That would save a lot of trails being beat up even more. Desperately need some snow soon or it will be bare ground all the way to that point soon.

From what I know. We can only stage from the areas by the main road. No vehicle access into the area. Looks like it is getting snow today. Some is better than none. Out tomorrow grooming with the new groomer. We will post some pics of the new girl in action

jazz 111

Reaction score
Like to go out this weekend has anyone been out there this week? also is there enough snow out at cataract staging area?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like to go out this weekend has anyone been out there this week? also is there enough snow out at cataract staging area?

We have been out there this week. Rained there today. Some slush fell from the ski also. We need COLDER WEATHER badly. Grooming isn't even working. All we do is mush up slush. Not my most positive trail report. Hoping it cools off soon and we get a big dump of snow. Trails at the valley bottom are very low snow. Rocks and mud starting to show now. Haven`t been up to high or to far back to tell you how the snow is doing S/W end.
We continue to try to improve the area but its still only year one of the main effort. It will only get better as we get into other years.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last weeks of warm weather has killed my sledding spirit. I'm ready for summer, bring on the warmer weather to kill the remaining snow.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The last weeks of warm weather has killed my sledding spirit. I'm ready for summer, bring on the warmer weather to kill the remaining snow.

You need to go to the Mud Pit section then. LOL Some of us still have hope. Its gonna snow again. Maybe in November

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
By the way to the snowmobile club the grooming and trail maintenance is greatly appreciated I know you guys put a lot of effort into the trail system I will support your club for years to come.

From all the volunteer helpers out there that have helped THANKS

We are trying but Mother Nature is not cooperating to much

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need to go to the Mud Pit section then. LOL Some of us still have hope. Its gonna snow again. Maybe in November

i think spring has begun, very early this year. No snow in the forecast for the next two weeks and temps in +7 area. Unless a person heads west to BC I don't foresee very many more rides this season. Who knows though, this is Alberta and we are a ways away from May long weekend

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rained at my house until midnight, woke up to 5" of snow lol

Kokanee9

Reaction score
While the weather has not been overly cooperative this season, I would like to point out that there are growing reports that as this El Nino fades out, it is going to be replaced by La Nina in late summer/fall. This is actually good news for us because it means that the later in the season that La Nina forms, the colder and wetter it will be next winter.

If the forecasts are actually accurate, this will mean lots of snow for next season. I'm sure I won't be the only one watching these reports.

Top Bottom