Mudslide at Fairmount Hot Springs

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Holy crap..........

Mudslide forces evacuation at Fairmont Hot Springs

BY STEPHANIE IP, THE PROVINCE JULY 15, 2012

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Mudslide+forces+evacuation+Fairmont+Springs/6938053/story.html

Aerial photo of the mudslide at Fairmont Hot Springs on Sunday, July 15.

Photograph by: Twitter , @EmergencyInfoBC

Emergency officials are en route to assess the area around Fairmont Hot Springs after a mudslide Sunday afternoon sent travelers packing.
The mudslide is in the same Kootenay region as a massive landslide that wiped out three cabins in the hamlet of Johnsons Landing on Kootenay Lake.
Mountainside Vacation Villas, which is east of the main highway, has evacuated all 116 rooms of vacationers after a nearby creek overflowed and sent mud, boulders and rocks flowing into the area.
“The creeks have overflowed and it’s coming from up top of the ski hill,” said an employee at the resort who wished to remain anonymous. She said all travelers had been sent to the nearby fire hall around 5 p.m.
“It’s just because of the heavy rainfall because the ground is so saturated — it’s given way,” she said.
While images of the recent landslide near Johnsons Landing are still fresh in many people’s memory, the employee said the mud only reaches about a couple feet high and no structures have been majorly damaged at this point.
Vancouver funk band Whiskey Chief, along with a number of other bands and music fans, were in the area over the weekend for Hoodstock, an annual one-day music festival in Columbia Valley that happened this past Saturday. Whiskey Chief were evacuated from their rooms Sunday afternoon.
“Huge mudslide in Fairmont! Evacuating,” the band tweeted from their official account along with a photo of a large pool of mud, surrounding a cabin.
The mudslide shut down Highway 93 and Highway 95 in both directions earlier, but the roads re-opened at around 6:45 p.m. Sunday, according to DriveBC.
Heavy rain and a late snow melt have caused havoc across the Kootenays this summer, with flooding and mudslides taking place as many rivers and lakes in the area reached a 40-year high.

Read more:Mudslide forces evacuation at Fairmont Hot Springs

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been following this one too. We were just there 2 weekends ago. I guess the RV park is totally cut off from the hotel side.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got stuck in the traffic around 6:20 or so. Heard they were evacuating and turned around to take westside road to bypass. Glad I did, wouldn't have wanted to be in that line of cars when it finally got moving.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
life goes on Larry! The Red Deer river has an oil spill, the Bow and Elbow rise, Millwoods floods, the Yellowhead closed, what else is going to happen before the weather settles down????

i hear ya. ya just never know what will happen and when. some of the nicest places in the world have hidden dangers just waiting to be awakened.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got home yesterday and they have this big pump trailer running behind my house in the green space. Up the road two big pump trucks running. My sump pump is running for the first time we have been in this house. Kinda wet around here. Good thing the sun is coming back out.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been working at the resort trying to locate and piece together the water system for the resort and man i can't beleive the amount of water it took to move that much mud. Dug all day with and excavator today to find a valve chamber that used to be on the bank of the creek, we found it in the middle of what is now the drainage! The creek is usually 3-4feet wide with lots of trees lining the banks, but the mud slide cut a swath 50ft wide and the mud line up the banks was 10ft deep in places. Crazy!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been working at the resort trying to locate and piece together the water system for the resort and man i can't beleive the amount of water it took to move that much mud. Dug all day with and excavator today to find a valve chamber that used to be on the bank of the creek, we found it in the middle of what is now the drainage! The creek is usually 3-4feet wide with lots of trees lining the banks, but the mud slide cut a swath 50ft wide and the mud line up the banks was 10ft deep in places. Crazy!
Is the foot bridge between the pool side and RV side gonzo too?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

that may now be the new mud bath dave.

man that is a lot of force to do this damage.

were you not there like a week or so ago dave?

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Come on now. It's December 21st when the world ends according to the Myans. The day of the Winter Solstice.....

cool we got another 9 days to live, feelin lucky already. hehe.

we need superman to come fix this end of the world stuff. hehe

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Come on now. It's December 21st when the world ends according to the Myans. The day of the Winter Solstice.....

You are correct. My mistake. Hope this didn't hurt your feelings or cause you to lose to much sleep.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are correct. My mistake. Hope this didn't hurt your feelings or cause you to lose to much sleep.

good god man i can't sleep now, i don't need more worries. hehe. i wonder if there will still be snow and mud?

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup foot bridge gone, vehicle bridge gone but they built a road with culverts on Monday to get the campers out. hiked up the creek to 1600m to see where it started but ran into big cliffs so turned back.

Top Bottom