Another BC slide.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Small community of Thrums outside of Castlegar. Closed Highway 3#A.

Just hear it on the news and I have no further information at this time.

Found this......
A mudslide in the Kootenays has caused the closure of Highway 3A in both directions between Castlegar and Nelson, according to DriveBC.
The slide occurred near the hamlet of Thrums late Tuesday afternoon, leaving no detours available, several homes at risk, businesses flooded and creeks overflowing.

Jennifer Peters, who commuted past the slide on her way home from work, said the detour open to her has since been closed by emergency crews.
"I don't know of anyone being really hurt or anything terrible coming of this," she said.
There have been no reports of injuries or damage.
The slide comes two days after a slide at Fairmont Springs stranded 500 campers north of Cranbrook, and less than a week after a landslide ripped through Johnsons Landing, another Kootenays hamlet, burying homes and four people beneath a morass of mud, rocks, broken trees and debris.
All three slides occurred within 100 kilometres of each other.
Read it on Global News:

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Small community of Thrums outside of Castlegar. Closed Highway 3#A.

Just hear it on the news and I have no further information at this time.

Found this......
A mudslide in the Kootenays has caused the closure of Highway 3A in both directions between Castlegar and Nelson, according to DriveBC.
The slide occurred near the hamlet of Thrums late Tuesday afternoon, leaving no detours available, several homes at risk, businesses flooded and creeks overflowing.

Jennifer Peters, who commuted past the slide on her way home from work, said the detour open to her has since been closed by emergency crews.
"I don't know of anyone being really hurt or anything terrible coming of this," she said.
There have been no reports of injuries or damage.
The slide comes two days after a slide at Fairmont Springs stranded 500 campers north of Cranbrook, and less than a week after a landslide ripped through Johnsons Landing, another Kootenays hamlet, burying homes and four people beneath a morass of mud, rocks, broken trees and debris.
All three slides occurred within 100 kilometres of each other.
Read it on Global News:

wow doug, that is wild. this the only area that is getting this much rain? looks terrible. hope everyones luck holds out.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
WoW did it pourrrrrrrrr !

Downtown Nelson was on the news and the water in the streets was up to the headlights!

That wasn't a jacked-up Ford with the driver wearing white oakleys but rather a little 4 door 1980 Honda Accord with a funny paint job.

Just the same it was pretty deep! Sort of like Millwoods last week.

Ski_X_Doo

Reaction score
All i can say about all of this flooding and water is i hope we get lots of snow out of it this year im really close to nelson/castlegar is it still closed off?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
​from driveBC's website: I'm thinking it should read Nelson and not Creston.

Highway 3A between Castlegar and Creston Both directions
- Closed in both directions at Brilliant because of Mud Slide. No detour in available. Expected time of opening 7:00 pm. Confidence level is High. Next update 7:00 pm July 17/2012. Updated on Tue Jul 17 at 6:10 pm PDT. (ID# 134387)

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

- Closed in both directions at Brilliant because of Mud Slide. No detour in available. Expected time of opening 7:00 pm. Confidence level is High. Next update 7:00 pm July 17/2012. Updated on Tue Jul 17 at 6:10 pm PDT. (ID# 134387)
Maybe they closed the pass....

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

This slide is no longer on the driveBC website, so it must be open again.

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We didn't get a drop of rain in Trail all day even though it looked nasty towards Castlegar. Must have just missed us but we did get a bit of lightening that messed with the plant at work with a power bump. Wonder if it was a rockslide above the dump? It's always coming down on the highway between the scales and the viewpoint.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We didn't get a drop of rain in Trail all day even though it looked nasty towards Castlegar. Must have just missed us but we did get a bit of lightening that messed with the plant at work with a power bump. Wonder if it was a rockslide above the dump? It's always coming down on the highway between the scales and the viewpoint.
Must have been very localized....I phoned my Mom in Wynndel and she says it wasn't too bad there at all today.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was a weird kind of flash flood. By the Time we drove through it after work, there was some water on the roads but not like it had been two hours before. You could see that some of the man holes were still spewing water, and there was a car that looked like it bonked into a fire hydrant.

Top Bottom