Snow Conditions - Cataract Creek Jan 20-2010

campstove

Reaction score
i hope to be there..have to twist some arms for a travelling buddy..lack of snow at home has really dampened spirits!!! are there trail maps avail. or just print one off web.??what about trail pass??have to purchase?where?? so far from reading posts about this area seems to be a great bunch of guys. thnx for info.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Trail maps are posted at the top of this thread...just print from the web. There are also signs posted throughout the trail system as maintained from the Calgary Snowmobile Club and they are placed at each trail intersection.

As for trail passes, they aren't mandatory but it's a good show of support to purchase an Alberta trail map as it goes to support the local clubs who groom and maintain the Alberta trail systems both locally and Provincially. Trail passes are available through the Calgary club linked above.

Looks like fresh snow is in the forecast for Sat/Sun so I will be out early on Sunday.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
crappy, no fresh grooming this week.... lets hope for that snow!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thinking possible head that way weekend of 6th and 7th. is there good open free ride areas? just trying to guestimate how far from drayton valley i am looking at. i used to do crowsnest in 5.5 with the rig pulling 2 400brl tanks so would 5hrs do it? not sure yet exactly where its at.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thinking possible head that way weekend of 6th and 7th. is there good open free ride areas? just trying to guestimate how far from drayton valley i am looking at. i used to do crowsnest in 5.5 with the rig pulling 2 400brl tanks so would 5hrs do it? not sure yet exactly where its at.

going down 22 turn right just before longview then follow that till the road closure then turn left and proceed to either etherington or cataract creek i would think you would be there easy in 5 hours

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeh i am thinkin closer to the 4 range.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this area is primarily trails. there are a few cut blocks that can be riden (if there was more snow), and some open areas, but mostly trails.
if somebody is coming down to any hill climbing at all, they'll probably be disappointed.
the snow isn't endless deep like it is in golden and revy, but if you know where to go you can still have fun. some of the trails are actually down to dirt/rocks cause of the 2 weeks of +10 we had in calgary, so if you do come find the trails that are higher in elevation (i.e. skyline).
i still go and ride there, i know what to expect. this isn't golden/revy.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i understand that wrong side of the hills for endless deep. was just thinking of a new area to ride with at least a bit of hills. but thanks for the update. if id doesn't snow by then definitly wont go that way.

Top Bottom