can't pull a trailer behind holiday trailer

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think we should do this at Mountain Mania next year, you guys both sled right??

I have a sled that i try really hard to ride, and yes this year i am making a plan to goto mainia. But im not a good distance guy ....... im lazy so i take my time

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have also peed off a cliff in the 700 ft-height range but I didn't take pics and it didn't really sound as believable. I also could not see if it hit the ground or not so I don't really know if it made the full 700 ft drop due to wind direction etc, so I really can't make the full claim that I peed all the way to the ground the full 700 ft.
:D

Peeing off cliffs is one of the greatest things ever. Right up there with throwing rocks off cliffs. Never seems to get old. :d:d

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you don't know all the laws you shouldn't be hauling/towing it. Most would be happy to explain laws, commercial or not. I don't need to ask because it's my job to know what I can and cannot drive per the lisence. It is mind boggling that a lot of people pull these big trailers and don't know any of the regulations. I don't know won't get you far, nowhere at all if they see you have a class 1. Ignorance isn't a excuse.

like you just said cyle. if you dont know the laws you shouldn't be driving. there is a bit more of a difference betweena 1 and 3 than the air brakes issue. just sayin. if you think thats the only difference and thats all you studied for for the written portion you'll fail. i can promise you that one. how is it your job to know the laws for a class 1 if you still have you gdl? I never said you can't tow a trailer. it is the combination of trailers that you cannot tow with out a 1. go ask an rc if you do not believe. or tow it to the station and go ask let us know how you make out . :rant: i'm done.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've set a few distance records in my time as well. Here's my 2003 record breaker.

Attachments

• IMG_3563 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3563 (Large).jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3561 (Large).jpg
    IMG_3561 (Large).jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 24

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nice work. but my grandma won that contest didn't she.

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like you just said cyle. if you dont know the laws you shouldn't be driving. there is a bit more of a difference betweena 1 and 3 than the air brakes issue. just sayin. if you think thats the only difference and thats all you studied for for the written portion you'll fail. i can promise you that one. how is it your job to know the laws for a class 1 if you still have you gdl? I never said you can't tow a trailer. it is the combination of trailers that you cannot tow with out a 1. go ask an rc if you do not believe. or tow it to the station and go ask let us know how you make out . :rant: i'm done.
so you are saying that in alberta you CAN NOT tow a fifth wheel with a trailer behind it?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I don't have the lisence yet do I? And no, I haven't studied it at all yet, don't need to all it takes is common sense. But I do know that is the majority for class 1 over 3 is trailer with air brakes. It is my job to know what vehicles I can and cannot drive. I am told what kind of material to transport and I need to know what to use, I have access to class 5, 3, and 1 vehicles that I could easily drive but have to know what I am lisenced to drive.

I am still sticking to the fact that you don't need a class 1 for it. I have no faith in what ONE RCMP officer says on a topic like that, sorry. I would put 1000x the faith in a commercial vehicle enforcement officer said on that type of topic. Umm actually, DOT's would be HAPPY to answer questions. Obviously you don't go there in the fawking unit you don't know about though :rolleyes: As I said, if you don't know the laws on what your driving/towing you shouldn't be driving/towing it.

Anyone who tows a trailer behind their 5th wheel should be able to answer exactly what is needed to do so legally. For all the pics i've seen of it on this site, I cannot believe no one has chimed in that knows the exact laws. Scary.....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
class one is not required to pull a double in Alberta, ie: 5th wheel holiday trailer towing bumper pull trailer, as long as it is within the 20m limit.

Technobee

Reaction score
As per GOA website:
Generally, it is against the law to tow more than one trailer except as provided under specific circumstances outlined in the Traffic Safety Act. A driver may operate a combination of a towing unit and two trailers if the combination meets the following requirements:
The lead trailer must be towed by a pin-and-plate fifth-wheel coupling, mounted over the rear axle of the towing vehicle and fastened to its frame.
The lead trailer must have two or more axles in tandem.
The longer trailer must be the lead trailer.
The hitch connecting the lead trailer and the second trailer must be fastened to the frame of the lead trailer.
The total combination length for a towing unit and one or more trailers shall not exceed 20 metres.
This does not apply to a combination that is being operated for commercial purposes.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have the lisence yet do I? And no, I haven't studied it at all yet, don't need to all it takes is common sense. But I do know that is the majority for class 1 over 3 is trailer with air brakes. It is my job to know what vehicles I can and cannot drive. I am told what kind of material to transport and I need to know what to use, I have access to class 5, 3, and 1 vehicles that I could easily drive but have to know what I am lisenced to drive.

I am still sticking to the fact that you don't need a class 1 for it. I have no faith in what ONE RCMP officer says on a topic like that, sorry. I would put 1000x the faith in a commercial vehicle enforcement officer said on that type of topic. Umm actually, DOT's would be HAPPY to answer questions. Obviously you don't go there in the fawking unit you don't know about though :rolleyes: As I said, if you don't know the laws on what your driving/towing you shouldn't be driving/towing it.

Anyone who tows a trailer behind their 5th wheel should be able to answer exactly what is needed to do so legally. For all the pics i've seen of it on this site, I cannot believe no one has chimed in that knows the exact laws. Scary.....

Ok i will put this simple.. 780-986-2611 that would be the comercial scale in leduc. a DOT scale. The simple diffence between 1 and 3 is A TRAILER. Doesnt matter what is has for brakes. And this is just some friendly advice if you are going to take your class 1 i would study. Unless you know what a build up test is , brake test and check, maybe even understand how an air brake system works. They are on the test. Also how many hours you can drive in a day and and just a heads up they are different in each state or province.

Anyhow to the other contest here my kid says he is out he doesnt like to watch grown men cry...........:beer::beer::beer:.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok i will put this simple.. 780-986-2611 that would be the comercial scale in leduc. a DOT scale. The simple diffence between 1 and 3 is A TRAILER. Doesnt matter what is has for brakes. And this is just some friendly advice if you are going to take your class 1 i would study. Unless you know what a build up test is , brake test and check, maybe even understand how an air brake system works. They are on the test. Also how many hours you can drive in a day and and just a heads up they are different in each state or province.

Anyhow to the other contest here my kid says he is out he doesnt like to watch grown men cry...........:beer::beer::beer:.

you cannot drive an ambulance, taxi , or bus with a class three as well. a little more to it than just a trailer guys. i have had class 1 now for near 20 years. and have had my hd ticket for 15. I know all the bs you gottsa go thriough to get it. when i did my written there was only 2 questions on truck driving the rest was alll on bus crap. distances to stop, passengers, stop times at intersections etc. was just sayin that if you think the only dif between 1 and three is a trailer your wrong.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A single axle truck with hydraulic brakes = class 5
A single axle truck with air brakes = class 5 with air endorsement
Tandem axle with hydraulic brakes = class 3
Tandem axle with air brakes = class 3 with air endorsement
tandem axle pulling trailer with hydraulic brakes = class 3
Any truck/trailer combo with air brakes = class 1

It's been 21 years since I took my class 1 test, but I think these are still the rules.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's been 21 years since I took my class 1 test, but I think these are still the rules.

yes pretty much however with your 1 you can drive anything but a bike.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes pretty much however with your 1 you can drive anything but a bike.
ever since I told them I could drive anything on wheels....my kids always ask me whenever they see something cool rolling down the road: "Dad, can you drive that?" lol....

when you get a class 6, it looks like the license says "Class: 16"

Last edited:

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you cannot drive an ambulance, taxi , or bus with a class three as well. a little more to it than just a trailer guys. i have had class 1 now for near 20 years. and have had my hd ticket for 15. I know all the bs you gottsa go thriough to get it. when i did my written there was only 2 questions on truck driving the rest was alll on bus crap. distances to stop, passengers, stop times at intersections etc. was just sayin that if you think the only dif between 1 and three is a trailer your wrong.

My feeler is hurt. Now ;)

Last edited:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

oh another thing is that you still need your air endorsment to have the one its not just given to ya with the license is it? i know i had to take mine before i could get my 1.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

air brakes really? Anyone who can show up gets the ticket. I can drive a 13 speed just fine, I know all about the build up test, pre trip inspection, log books, etc. And I did say class 1 is pretty much trailer with air, you only need a 3 for a tandem on air to pull a trailer not on air. And a class 1 doesn't cover 4,I am pretty sure you can't drive ambulance, taxi etc. The only reason I don't have my 1 or 3 is I'm not allowed to test until I get rue of gdl, I have plenty of driving experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom