can't pull a trailer behind holiday trailer

hard@it

Reaction score
Has anyone else heard that as of aug 1st we can not pull a trailer behind our holiday trailer

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5 th wheel or bumper pull. bp no, 5 th yes have not heard anything different.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
pull behinds you haven been able to tandem with for years......5th wheels are still ok as long as your not over length or over weight

hard@it

Reaction score
I understand that they are talking 5th wheel,and I did forget to say that it is in alberta

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as long as you have a proper license and are not overweight or length i dont think that it will ever be illegal.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I apologise to all the guys that pull trains, but I do hope they abolish it. I'm sure deck sales would go way up.:d

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have to say that 75% of the guys that pull those that i see should not, but nothing can be done. Accept maybe an "long license added to the 5 they have" Simple test can you turn a 90 corner in city trafic and can you back up. Saves all the guys that can do it.
And people with the big motor homes with air brakes should have to have a air brake endorsement. I can only guess at how many of those units the driver doesnt even know what air brake means.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would have to say that 75% of the guys that pull those that i see should not, but nothing can be done. Accept maybe an "long license added to the 5 they have" Simple test can you turn a 90 corner in city trafic and can you back up. Saves all the guys that can do it.
And people with the big motor homes with air brakes should have to have a air brake endorsement. I can only guess at how many of those units the driver doesnt even know what air brake means.

was told by an rc friend that if you are pulling trains you ned a 1. but they do not enforce it to hard. but i have seen guys having to leave the boat on the side of the road before and come back later. not sure why but they had a cop behind them and where dropping the rear trailer.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was told by an rc friend that if you are pulling trains you ned a 1. but they do not enforce it to hard. but i have seen guys having to leave the boat on the side of the road before and come back later. not sure why but they had a cop behind them and where dropping the rear trailer.

I can only guess that it would be because the "pup" would have been swinging all over the place. Truck without wide enough mirrors cant the that the boat is almost in the ditch. Glad to hear that class 1 is needed to pull the second trailer. Now when will grampa have to have a class 3 to rip down the hwy in his $200,000 motorhome.

Throttle*Queen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our mechanic buddy was told to quit wiring 5th wheels for pulling because the are going to pass the bylaw,....that was a year ago! I expect it to come one day, (already is in BC) however nothings been said as to when for sure yet. Right now you are ok if you are under weight and length.

hard@it

Reaction score
I don't agree with the class 1 but it might not have some sort of a course, due to some people shouldnt be pulling 1 never mind 2 trailers.But so far it sounds like the travel plans are as usual.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Class 1 is a commercial licence it isn't required for fifth wheel, boat / trailer combo

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in alberta with a class 5 license your trailer can have max 2 axles if behind your rv and you can only pull a single trailer says nothing about being allowed to pull doubles.

Class 5 Licence

Permits an operator to drive:

•A two axle single motor vehicle, excluding a motorcycle

•A two axle motor vehicle towing a trailer with one or more axles, if the trailer is not equipped with airbrakes

•A recreational vehicle or any combination of a recreational vehicle and a trailer, if the trailer has not more than two axles and is not equipped with airbrakes

•A moped

•Class 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 type vehicles, for learning only
No holder of a Class 5 operator's licence shall operate a motor vehicle:

•That has a seating capacity of more than 15, while that vehicle is transporting any person in addition to the operator

•To transport for hire
The minimum learning age is 14.

The minimum licencing age is 16.

Requirements: road test.

Vehicle for road test: any two axle motor vehicle excluding a motorcycle.

got the info of registries website.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A recreational vehicle or any combination of a recreational vehicle and a trailer, if the trailer has not more than two axles and is not equipped with airbrakes

That's right, the trailer behind the RV cannot have more than two axles.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As stated, you don't need a class 1 to pull 2 trailers. Whoever told you that, has no idea about lisencing. And, the law calls 2 trailers behind a pickup different then a b-train. The likely reason you have seen people leaving the 2nd trailer is over length.

The problem is, you cannot stop the idiots. They will try to put a pallet of bricks on their little homemade trailer that will basically be dragging on the ground. They will pull a massive 40ft 5th wheel or whatever. No lisence will stop it. It would just be another gov't money grab. How many people the way they drive on a daily basis would pass a road test for a class 5? Less then 25% of drivers I bet? How much good does that road test do? How many people do you see driving a class 1 vehicle that shouldn't be driving a prius? Lots! Anyone can get their class 1 even......it takes nothing. Don't need a clue about how to drive, there are people who will hand out the lisence.

I would love to see all the idiots pulled off the road that do it, but not going to happen. How is pulling a 25ft 5th wheel and 15 ft boat any different or less safe then a 40ft 5th wheel? Still a long unit that needs to be driven properly.

I think one of the only ways would be larger fines. Like not letting someone going 120 in a 110 going if they got a massive trailer behind them. Or pulling over these half tons with 35ft bumper pulls behind them that are swaying to hell. Or if they did it right, making ANY vehicle 4500kg or more pull into scales and weight in. It would help get rid of overloaded vehicles and unsecured loads. Not to mention, a good time for DOT's to check if people can drive.

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
O and the biggest licensing joke of all, the new GDL license! I'm sure it helps any. Ya, you cannot have more passengers then seatbelts (pretty sure that goes for ALL licenses!), no alcohol on your breath. Hell, I still have my GDL and I drive for work. GDL is completely useless just another way for gov't to get more money.

No thanks, I don't want another license to get that will do nothing but take my money.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As stated, you don't need a class 1 to pull 2 trailers. Whoever told you that, has no idea about lisencing. And, the law calls 2 trailers behind a pickup different then a b-train. The likely reason you have seen people leaving the 2nd trailer is over length.

The problem is, you cannot stop the idiots. They will try to put a pallet of bricks on their little homemade trailer that will basically be dragging on the ground. They will pull a massive 40ft 5th wheel or whatever. No lisence will stop it. It would just be another gov't money grab. How many people the way they drive on a daily basis would pass a road test for a class 5? Less then 25% of drivers I bet? How much good does that road test do? How many people do you see driving a class 1 vehicle that shouldn't be driving a prius? Lots! Anyone can get their class 1 even......it takes nothing. Don't need a clue about how to drive, there are people who will hand out the lisence.

I would love to see all the idiots pulled off the road that do it, but not going to happen. How is pulling a 25ft 5th wheel and 15 ft boat any different or less safe then a 40ft 5th wheel? Still a long unit that needs to be driven properly.

I think one of the only ways would be larger fines. Like not letting someone going 120 in a 110 going if they got a massive trailer behind them. Or pulling over these half tons with 35ft bumper pulls behind them that are swaying to hell. Or if they did it right, making ANY vehicle 4500kg or more pull into scales and weight in. It would help get rid of overloaded vehicles and unsecured loads. Not to mention, a good time for DOT's to check if people can drive.

as it states in the class 5 licensing rules you can only pull a trailer not a trailer or combination of trailers. the guy that told me was a close friend that is rc. been for 15 yrs. i believe him onver someone who still has their gdl. sorry. have you ever pulled a combination of 2 trailers. it is alot different than a single say 40 ft holiday trailer. which i am yet to see a 40 ft bumper pull holiday trailer?

i will leave it at that because this thread is the same as the sled deck on a half ton stuff.everybody wants to putin their 2 cents on wether its legal or not but nobody has actually done the research or testing to find out. we all assume to much.

however you have agood point on the evrybody gets weighed/checked at the scale idea. but in alberta that would only work for 2 weeks in the summer anyways because they are always closed any other time.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Yup question has been answered, it's fine in Alberta and Sask. Has NEVER been allowed in BC. Not like they just changed it or anything.

Top Bottom