Can i tow this trailer comfortably?

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so, i have decided against this trailer because i dont want the payment of $560 /mth for 10 yrs and i think it is going to lead to me being single. the gf is pissed.

Maby look at a good used smaller toy hauler.....lots of smaller bumper pulls a guy could pick up between 12 to 20 grand.....just a thought.

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cant remember which yr they switched clutches I know my 05 had a good clutch however they had switched to a different style clutch between my 05 and my 08 and ended up switching the clutch in my 08 back to the old style at 32000 kms (within a couple times of pulling out toyhauler 14000lbs ish loaded) 05 pulled fine same trailer until i got rid of truck at 420000kms same trailer being towed and similar tuner check with dodge and see which clutch u have would be my only concern about 2g to switch as flywheel and everything must be changed

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
so, i have decided against this trailer because i dont want the payment of $560 /mth for 10 yrs and i think it is going to lead to me being single. the gf is pissed.

she's pissed because you decided to save the coin instead of spend it?

Patman

Reaction score
I'm with KawisakiRider on this....I went with a one tonne as being close to your limit on dry weight is too close once you load all the fluids, camping gear, food, beer, machines, etc! Them boys at the road checks have no forgiveness and will ground your unit until you pull it apart to meet their limits. Stay under the truck's limits and it will truly last longer. I overloaded one trailer when I was moving and had one scary ride too many down an unforgiving hill to remind me those limits are more important than just a fine! My toy hauler and truck has given many great years with the Oregon Dunes being this summer's destination.

My Two Cents...

Patman

Waiting for the right side by side Deal...
:fish2:

Bandit_750

Reaction score
she's pissed because you decided to save the coin instead of spend it?

she got all excited that we were going to purchase it. I could afford the payment, but instead i chose not to go that route with the 10 yr payment and now she is mad at me. Says i am never confident in big purchases lol. Pretty confident i made the right choice there.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
awful lot of money to spend and find out later ya need a bigger truck
she got all excited that we were going to purchase it. I could afford the payment, but instead i chose not to go that route with the 10 yr payment and now she is mad at me. Says i am never confident in big purchases lol. Pretty confident i made the right choice there.

Dragon4x4

Reaction score
sounds like the right move to me pal. you can find really good deals around, just keep your eyes open for some poor bastard that thought he was a hot shot roller and eneded up bust and needs to get rid of his toys always get good deals just have to look for em

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
same for me, on the 2500 nothing is different, except for the overload springs, compared to a one ton. And when ordering parts you will notice that some 2500 have overload springs, found this out when I got my 5th wheel brackets. Brakes are even the same guys.

But the one thing you dont have when you get the 3500 is the higher weight rating.

But here is a fun fact, my bud just bought a ecoboost which according to ,i havent got to look at it yet, Has the SAME weight rating as my 2500 diesel WTF!

My soloution debadge the truck then they have to go deep and inspect istead of just a drivebye and pullover.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
same for me, on the 2500 nothing is different, except for the overload springs, compared to a one ton. And when ordering parts you will notice that some 2500 have overload springs, found this out when I got my 5th wheel brackets. Brakes are even the same guys.

But the one thing you dont have when you get the 3500 is the higher weight rating.

But here is a fun fact, my bud just bought a ecoboost which according to ,i havent got to look at it yet, Has the SAME weight rating as my 2500 diesel WTF!

My soloution debadge the truck then they have to go deep and inspect istead of just a drivebye and pullover.

i googled this

my 2006 2500hd still is higher in all categories, some are close... what year is your diesel?

Jazzygurl

Reaction score
Hey Drew,

Not sure if you looked up the stats, or have ever read anything on stopping distances with all that weight and traveling that fast down a highway? But you definitely would not be pulling your trailer safely. LOL Sorry to burst your bubble, but doing 130 km/hr without weight just stopping in a regular vehicle you need 94.05 metres to stop, now add in all the weight of the toyhauler, all the toys, fuel, gear, etc... I do know we all use trailer brakes and that will assist with our stopping distance. Just food for thought.

If you want the biggest trailer money can buy then why pull it with a cheaper truck. Get a 1 ton dually that is made to pull that trailer. if it's windy you are gonna risk blowing of the road or worse yet killing yourselves or someone else. Better yet. You won't be that dick doing 70 km over loaded on a long weekend with 40 plus units behind you. That super pisses me off when a unit can't maintain hwy speeds cause of a load that's to big. I have a dually/ toyhauler combo and can do 130 while uphill getting road head and rolling one up and still Pull my trailer safely. Lol

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
i googled this

my 2006 2500hd still is higher in all categories, some are close... what year is your diesel?

2007.5 cummin 6.7. ya i dont believe him but he going to pull a trailer close to the same weight as mine.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You are doing the right thing IMO. Pretend you are making payments on a new unit and keep saving your money till you find the right trailer for your needs/wants. New toys are always pretty cool, but you may find something used that will cost you a lot less than a new unit.

I am still looking for a toyhauler. I started looking at them a few years ago to see what we liked. We are now looking for used units that we liked the most. Instead of 60 plus thousand for a new one 30 to 40 grand is what they are worth now...sometimes less depending on the model and condition. Sometimes used units are better as they have had the bugs fixed.

If you are on a budget (who isn't these days), you could try something like what we use for our toyhauler. I picked up a nice used camper for under 2000 bucks and threw it onto my flat deck trailer...aka "red neck toy hauler". lol For the amount of time I am able to get away to go quading this has worked very well for us so far. It only takes a few minutes to load and unload it for work or play. Also, it is tough enough that I have not broken anything no matter where I have gone with it so far. I doubt that I would be able to get a new toyhauler into our favorite spots without damaging something. Our unit is big enough that I can haul all of our quads (and then some) with ease. When we unload our quads the deck makes a nice porch for BBQing or just lounging. We spend most of our time outside but it is nice to have a few comforts like hot water for a shower when we are out in the bush.

Dedicated toy haulers are nice but until I can take more time off to enjoy one I can not justify spending that much coin yet. I am usually lucky if I can get out 4 weekends a year (like many people). In the mean time I am still saving for a second hand one and if I am real lucky I will not have to get a loan when I do finally purchase one.

Good luck with what ever you end up with!

Top Bottom