Picked up a new 6.7l super duty

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After six years of owning my first ford (2000 super duty 7.3l diesel) I decided it was time for an upgrade. I was so impressed with my old truck and how reliable it has been that I decided to stick with ford.

While searching for a new truck I test drove the Dodge and the Ford. I didn't look at the Chevy as I am not a big fan of the interior and exterior styling. The duramax/Alison is a great combo and it did win the motortrend truck of the year in 2011 beating the re designed ford.

I wanted to look at the Dodge due to the great rebates I had heard about on the 2012's. It was also my first chance of driving to he Cummins. I like the exterior and interior styling of the Dodge and the 3500 definitely rode smoother in the rear end compared to the f350. The Dodge does have a lot less payload and towing capacity though so that might be the reason. I have heard the 2013s have a huge improvement in those areas.

Ultimately it was the high payload 11500 lb gvwr and the fit and finish on the Ford that sealed the deal. The bonus was the Ford rebates were surprising better than the ram.

My biggest complaint about my old f250 is the low gvwr. It is only 8800 lbs and the truck weighs around 7500 lbs. It does take much overloading this thing which isn't a huge deal in Alberta with the air bags and load e tires. However I plan on doing more atv camping trips in Bc and the weight police are a sticky bunch in that province.

I'm definitely nervous about having a truck long term with all this emissions junk. Once warranty is up I'm sure I will pull that stuff off. The 6.7 is the first ford engine I would consider after the 7.3, so hopefully it treats me just as well.

It's definitely going to pull a lot better than my old truck so I'm looking forward to that when I start camping in July.

Here are a few pictures.

Last edited:

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I just came off a f350 and would never go back to one, all I can say is don't expect it to last as long as the 7.3 best one they ever built, but good luck and yes nice truck..........

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I just came off a f350 and would never go back to one, all I can say is don't expect it to last as long as the 7.3 best one they ever built, but good luck and yes nice truck..........

What year was yours? What did you buy? I agree it may not last as long but it is what it is. Not that I put a lot of kms on my trucks anyway. Put 72000 on my 7.3 in six years and it now has 204k on it.

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Locin
I bought my 2011 s/d 6.7 Lariat in july of 2010, this is my 3rd superduty that goes to the bush every day I work, 241000 km on it , and two things have happened to it, a NOX sensor and a smile every time I get in it. I pull a 30 ft 5th wheel, with out issue, service it well, use 0 40 syn oil and go and enjoy your new truck. I plan on putting 500K on this one.
Regards Don

Last edited:

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Locin
I bought my 2011 s/d 6.7 Lariat in july of 2010, this is my 3rd superduty that goes to the bush every day I work, 241000 km on it , and two things have happened to it, a NOX sensor and a smile every time I get in it. I pull a 30 ft 5th wheel, with out issue, service it well, use 0 40 syn oil and go and enjoy your new truck. I plan on putting 500K on this one.
Regards Don

Thanks for the info. I have heard of some high mile ones and so far the 6.7 seems like a good engine. I will miss the simplicity of my 7.3 but I'm sure this thing will pull way better and it's already using less fuel so I know I'll be happy with it. The big thing to me is the creature comforts inside. My 2000 was starting to feel pretty dated compared to these new trucks.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a few suggestions, read your manual and figure out how advancetrac works and traction control override or when you get stuck and get rockin and rollin you will become very very angry. Also it you got the diff lock like I did this is a huge step backwards in my opinion.....I think the good old limited slip worked just fine, one less thing that I had to touch-manipulate while pulling away from an icy intersection. I don't know...... I loved it at first, now I am having second thoughts.

Also these 6.7's run way better with cetane improver of some sort, lots of different options out there. Really cuts my regen frequencys down and way shorter duration.

Last edited:

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a few suggestions, read your manual and figure out how advancetrac works and traction control override or when you get stuck and get rockin and rollin you will become very very angry. Also it you got the diff lock like I did this is a huge step backwards in my opinion.....I think the good old limited slip worked just fine, one less thing that I had to touch-manipulate while pulling away from an icy intersection. I don't know...... I loved it at first, now I am having second thoughts.

Also these 6.7's run way better with cetane improver of some sort, lots of different options out there. Really cuts my regen frequencys down and way shorter duration.

Ya its got the locker. I haven't tried disabling the advancetrac yet but I have in my 12 gas ford work truck. Long press the traction control shuts it off so hopefully it's the same.

How often were u getting regens before? How much did the additive help? It's done one so far on the drive home(was a 400 km drive) and has about 600 km on it so far.

I always ran a conditioner on my 7.3. What brand do you use?

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use 4+ super concentrate conditioner. UFA or DSG in Saskatoon sells it. Regens seem to complete much faster and frequencys are extended by about 4-500 km per cycle. So I seem to be about every 1500 km or so but I am 90% highway driving. Sounds like you got the traction control figured out. Watch your right rear tire by the way with out the ltd slip they burn up pretty quick have to rotate more.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Wowsers I surprised the f350 is rougher than the dodge my '12 dodge 3500 is pretty frigging rough couldn't image anything rougher ....congrats Steve

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
My 2011 megacab 3500 diesel is only 10,500 lbs

That trucks almost 3 years old already Ric.... time to upgrade again ;) BUT IT'S NOT QUITE 2 YEARS OLD.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom