Buying a side by side...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah , like the small Hondas .... The ones that cut 23 different new trails around every small mud hole ....
Way less impact there ....
lmfao !!

so your against the smaller quads on any of the trails west of red deer and anyone owning any atv with less than 30 inch diameter tires, because they may not be able to get through the trails. kind of an elitist eh!

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not sure how many times my 1984 Honda 200 atc has left some people not saying to much.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha, yes and I have seen it personally, lad on a 300 Honda dancing around all the big tired machines. lol.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too much of a work out for my little honda with stock 24" tires trying too ride rutted up areas, so finding hard pack is where I ride. No need for "me" too be where its tuff going when I can cover ground with out the winch.

Winter time when frozen with tracks is when I return too my fav areas.

Just me is all, pal Don

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 50in 800 and love it, wish it was the new 900 50in but it dose the job. from what i can tell out riding the 570 seems to be a pretty close match on the road and racing but i have found the 800 has a little more torque, which is nice to have when you need it.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure see lots of the 700 AC trails out there... They are making their mark . Great machine at a great price . The newcyamaha wolverine did not seem to catch on , or at least you sure don't see any ....on the trails .
Not enough power for most I guess .... As well as little aftermarket support...?

Looks like a choice between a rzr or AC unit ,in the smaller units ...both are good . I prefer the AC , all things considered.
The narrowest maverick is 60
inchs wide , so may be too big ...for a lot of people. If you are considering a sport / work unit ...the commanders & generals are both great units , but pricey !

The Rangers and defenders are more work than play....
A lot depends on your definition of play ...!
A word of caution IMO though... Don't under buy and then waste thousands tying to
make it in to something it was never designed to
be in the first place ...
Talked to a lot of people at the rally's this year that spent big $$$$ on extras and are still disappointed, most wish they would of bought a higher performance machine in the first place in hind sight .
Good luck with what ever you buy , the key is recognizing how and where you ride !

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha I am not one of those that wish I had more performance. Well more performance with the power steering and deep water performance lol. Those will be fixed shortly.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure see lots of the 700 AC trails out there... They are making their mark . Great machine at a great price . The newcyamaha wolverine did not seem to catch on , or at least you sure don't see any ....on the trails .
Not enough power for most I guess .... As well as little aftermarket support...?

Looks like a choice between a rzr or AC unit ,in the smaller units ...both are good . I prefer the AC , all things considered.
The narrowest maverick is 60
inchs wide , so may be too big ...for a lot of people. If you are considering a sport / work unit ...the commanders & generals are both great units , but pricey !

The Rangers and defenders are more work than play....
A lot depends on your definition of play ...!
A word of caution IMO though... Don't under buy and then waste thousands tying to
make it in to something it was never designed to
be in the first place ...
Talked to a lot of people at the rally's this year that spent big $$$$ on extras and are still disappointed, most wish they would of bought a higher performance machine in the first place in hind sight .
Good luck with what ever you buy , the key is recognizing how and where you ride !

I really like my ranger for mudding and cruising. Use it for hunting and fishing and you can't beat it. But when I go with you guys I am like a little kid watching and wishing I had a cool machine like your guys! It's not made for speed! But when I get to a mud hole it's hard to beat it. And take it hunting I don't think you can beat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like my ranger for mudding and cruising. Use it for hunting and fishing and you can't beat it. But when I go with you guys I am like a little kid watching and wishing I had a cool machine like your guys! It's not made for speed! But when I get to a mud hole it's hard to beat it. And take it hunting I don't think you can beat it.

I could maybe take my wildcat bird hunting lol. As long as I don't shoot too many.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let me clarify a little .... By performance I just don't mean engine HP. Such things as steering , ride, GC , tire size , body roll ...
all factor in under vehicle performance .... The total package .

Just ask kieth , he likes good suspension.....

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could maybe take my wildcat bird hunting lol. As long as I don't shoot too many.

Take you to long to get out lol. They would have flown away by the time you get out. My next sxs will be a sportier one! Keep my ranger for hunting and such.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One would guess there are many factors that play a roll in what we end up buying.

Quality and price normaly top the list, and getting it too and from ride area and working on it too.

If one looks after their ride quality would most likely be there if things stay in tact.

Price on the other hand is in many directions. New price Alberta, Canada province to Province, New year end models, and looking at them in the lower USA States price.
Used price is very low down in the USA since there is many too choose from, and there have been some frugal priced unit up this way too. "Buyer beware of course.
Many factors in that department.

Size of unit too. Some folks its not a factor, but too others its a big thought plan at getting it too and from, where one wants to use/ or take it, where to store it in off season, and will the Smart-Car with Harbour-Freight trailer get it down the road,,, Ha. Just kidding.

Width, 2 or 4 seater, heigth, and getting in and out of it throught the day.
Access too service for some folks, not so much for other's.

Power, Performance over all handling of course are factors too,,, all the above is what has held me/us from jumping on the SxS band wagon because we are long time 3 wheel folk that switched to 4 wheel quads. "That took some pumpkin power getting that far." Ha

The day will come I'm Sure, but if 4 wheels get me too and from at a furgal price, then its a win win for me/us every time.

Pal Don thought on the big picture down the road.

Top Bottom