Buying a New BBQ

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cooks way slower than my 885. The firebox temp is approximately 100f colder than the readout on the controller. It took almost a hour to heat up to 425f today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont have a pellet grill. But my dad does. He says it doesnt get that hot.

I think they are better for slow cooking?

Maybe there is some hotter ones,i dont know

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
P-setting? What is that? Traeger even sent me a new hopper with all the electronics.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Pretty disappointed in this model, this is my 4th traeger and it’s the worst performing, IMO is more of a smoker. The scaling on the temp controller is way off, as it get hotter the temperature reading on the controller.
My first indicator that the firebox was cold was the amount of grease and creosote inside of it, so I stuck my thermocouple that I have with my fluke meter inside.

ea9c1d8e9cfe34c01aa4b0c287af3b8a.jpg

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Every good pellet smoker IMO you should be able to get to 500f

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every good pellet smoker IMO you should be able to get to 500f

Thats not bad. But with the infa red burner on propane you get up to 1100. And on the normal burners 600 or 700.

Normally 550 is high as i go for steaks though.

Id like a pellet grill for full chickens, and ribs and other stuff i like to cook at 350

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Of right, thanks.
This grill doesn’t have that like the old controllers

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of right, thanks.
This grill doesn’t have that like the old controllers

Thats a bummer I have fixed 4 duds and turned them into studs just by altering the auger program which is essentially what the P settings do. I would venture a guess your program is set for a warmer climate.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought one of these a few years back, works good, have to learn how to use the P-Setting to getting it to hold temperature properly, but for the price it's hard to beat. I can probably cook 5 or 6 meals on it with a bag of pellets. Plus side is it runs on the inverter in the trailer, so can use it camping and don't have to run the generator.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought one of these a few years back, works good, have to learn how to use the P-Setting to getting it to hold temperature properly, but for the price it's hard to beat. I can probably cook 5 or 6 meals on it with a bag of pellets. Plus side is it runs on the inverter in the trailer, so can use it camping and don't have to run the generator.

I have the pit boss version. Doesn’t like being too hot. Auger fire then seizure salad auger seized in osb!

Same as the pit boss 800 I had.

my Louisiana founders 1200 doesn’t heat anywhere close to as well as the pit boss 800, but the Louisiana hasn’t started burning back into the hopper like the pit bosses I had/have.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the pit boss version. Doesn’t like being too hot. Auger fire then seizure salad auger seized in osb!

Same as the pit boss 800 I had.

my Louisiana founders 1200 doesn’t heat anywhere close to as well as the pit boss 800, but the Louisiana hasn’t started burning back into the hopper like the pit bosses I had/have.

I use mine as a smoker only, so it rarely gets set above 275F, never had an issue with the auger from the heat. It doesn't like the cold though, anything colder than -15 and the auger gets too stiff to turn.

We don't eat a lot of smoked food so it works good for us, the gas BBQ gets 5 times the use this thing does.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Meh. Seems like too much work. I got other chit to do

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need to slow down and find time.

My hobby is eating, not cooking. Bbq is just a nessesary evil. Food turns out great.

Now if someone else wants to do the work, and make up a charcole feast im happy to help eat it.

😊

Top Bottom