Buying a New BBQ

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never bought a BBQ before. No idea why. Decided it was time to buy one.

Looking for quality but not breaking the bank either. I live alone so something small would be fine like a 2 burner.

Ideally it would be build/made in Canada or the US.

Was looking at a reasonably priced Weber, have heard good things. Hear they used to be US built now they are pretty much from China.

Canadian Tire has a good priced Coleman one that has good reviews but again most of them are made overseas.

I mean its not a deal breaker it is made her but I figure if it was thats better.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have two top quality grills, I own a Napoleon 4 burner for at the lake and a 4 burner Weber for at home. I can tell you honestly that they are both great grills.... but I can also tell you that the Weber is hands down the best grill I have ever owned or operated. Weber’s line of accessories for their equipment is second to none and there is no buying any accessory that “should fit/work” with your grill. I know it seems crazy to spend the coin but after spending 300-500 4 or 5 times over you will wish you just bought the Weber and got the warranty that comes with. It is a life time grill (in my opinion)

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Looking for quality but not breaking the bank either. I live alone so something small would be fine like a 2 burner.

Ideally it would be build/made in Canada or the US."

Right there sums up what is wrong with our Canadian economy and manufacturing sector. We all want to make $35-$40 bucks an hour, we all want to buy Canadian but we all want Chinese pricing.

We dont build anything in Canada anymore for the retail sector because none of us want to pay for our own labor.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Napoleon has been the best for me by far. It has lasted for years with no troubles. I use to get cheap ones from CT but they just aren't as good and only last a few years.Spend a little more it"s worth it.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure where their built but I have a broil king imperial XL. It’s a little (a lot) bigger than what your looking for but they have smalller ones too. I’ve had it for 5 years now and after a quick wipe down it still looks like the day I brought it home, still cooks like it too. Lowe’s has their version I think they call them broil king regal. There a little cheaper but I didn’t see that version till after I bought mine Could have saved 500,
we have a Weber at work and it’s seen some serious use and abuse and it’s still going strong 5+ years now,

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Looking for quality but not breaking the bank either. I live alone so something small would be fine like a 2 burner.

Ideally it would be build/made in Canada or the US."

Right there sums up what is wrong with our Canadian economy and manufacturing sector. We all want to make $35-$40 bucks an hour, we all want to buy Canadian but we all want Chinese pricing.

We dont build anything in Canada anymore for the retail sector because none of us want to pay for our own labor.

Its not that i am looking for chinese pricing I just dont need some 5-6 burner huge grill. by dont break the bank i was referring to more qualities of a smaller one. its just me afterall for the most part.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have a small NexGrill (propane) for my trailer that I got from Costco. Don't know where it is made but like everything else, probably China. Works great for my wife and I whether we are camping or at home. Two burner stainless steel and it fits the bill. I think it was $129.00. It would be a good choice for what you are looking for. Sorry I don't have any pictures.

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never bought a BBQ before. No idea why. Decided it was time to buy one.

Looking for quality but not breaking the bank either. I live alone so something small would be fine like a 2 burner.

Ideally it would be build/made in Canada or the US.

Was looking at a reasonably priced Weber, have heard good things. Hear they used to be US built now they are pretty much from China.

Canadian Tire has a good priced Coleman one that has good reviews but again most of them are made overseas.

I mean its not a deal breaker it is made her but I figure if it was thats better.

I am also shopping for a new BBQ. My current broil mate is going on 14 years but it is time for a new one.
I have found out the same about Weber; made in China.
I have narrowed it down to Broil Mate/Broil King or a Napoleon. My understanding is both are Canada/US made. I could be wrong, but those are what I am going to get. I am hoping there are some sales for father's day.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Napoleon for me. Canadian made and they last. All other brands I’ve had last a max of 5yrs.
Same old question: Do I get more if I pay more...in this case I would say yes.

As of now only the Napoleon Prestige and Prestige Pro are Canadian made, all the rest of their lineup is made in China.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn’t know that. Well that sucks.

yeah, its not something they advertise, but you cant blame them, to compete in the big box environment they have to produce a cost effective product to keep their name out there.

What is interesting is that just because something is made in China doesnt mean it has to be inferior, there are some solid products coming over, its just that they make so much crap we are overwhelmed.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I havnt bought a BBQ in about 7 years, but when I do the first thing I do is pull up the grills and look at the burners, if the burner looks cheap, it probably is.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd person looking for a new Q. I am going to spend around a thou for one, because how much we use our gas grill (will never go back to propane)
My wife moved in with her Sterling gas Q, that she figures is about 15 years old and only giving us greif now. I'd buy another Sterling, but we want to go bigger than what they offer.
So my 3 stores of choice are, Barbeques Galore, Trail Appliance and Lowes

The little Q the ferniesnow mentioned from Coscto for 129, is a great little grill. I know people who have had them for years and no issues

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
yeah, its not something they advertise, but you cant blame them, to compete in the big box environment they have to produce a cost effective product to keep their name out there.

What is interesting is that just because something is made in China doesnt mean it has to be inferior, there are some solid products coming over, its just that they make so much crap we are overwhelmed.

I would agree about quality. If it’s managed it will be great but less expensive.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something to note about the Weber line up
Home Depot ones aren’t the same as the weber dealer
Most of the hd ones have the ceramic grates
The store has the ones with 5/16” stainless steel round bar. Which is hands down better imho
On yr 7 with mine. Gets insides cleaned out 1-2 times yr (little slack and seems to be job that gets forgot about)
It’s natural gas and in a sunroom type thing with screen ends so we bbq yr round and quite a bit.

The table top Weber camping grill would be good fit for what your looking for I think
Can use either the small bottles or hook to tank

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd person looking for a new Q. I am going to spend around a thou for one, because how much we use our gas grill (will never go back to propane)
My wife moved in with her Sterling gas Q, that she figures is about 15 years old and only giving us greif now. I'd buy another Sterling, but we want to go bigger than what they offer.
So my 3 stores of choice are, Barbeques Galore, Trail Appliance and Lowes

The little Q the ferniesnow mentioned from Coscto for 129, is a great little grill. I know people who have had them for years and no issues
Thanks for the additional review on the NexGrill Doug.

I learned a good lesson last summer when we bought our new Weber from Lowes. I wanted a NG grill and the sales person told us that yes it is NG. She went on to say, "they can be both". Just hook them up. Well, that was a load of crap. We have a Weber G4, not that we need 4 burners often but when company/family is over, the larger cooking area is great. Got to our new home and hooked up the Q looking forward to cooking with NG as the outlet is right there on the deck. It would only heat up to 400 degrees with all 4 burners turn on full. I phoned Weber and talked to a nice lady who explained that our grill was only for propane. Hooked up the propane bottle and bingo a nice hot grill with temps in the 500-600 degree range.

So, I guess what I am saying is do your research. I won't rely only on a sales person. I will look the grill up on the interweb and check for myself before I lay down the coin.

On a similar note, looking for a "fire table" for NG is similar. Sales people don't know dick all!!

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First Weber 15 years, second Weber on about 10 years now.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional review on the NexGrill Doug.

I learned a good lesson last summer when we bought our new Weber from Lowes. I wanted a NG grill and the sales person told us that yes it is NG. She went on to say, "they can be both". Just hook them up. Well, that was a load of crap. We have a Weber G4, not that we need 4 burners often but when company/family is over, the larger cooking area is great. Got to our new home and hooked up the Q looking forward to cooking with NG as the outlet is right there on the deck. It would only heat up to 400 degrees with all 4 burners turn on full. I phoned Weber and talked to a nice lady who explained that our grill was only for propane. Hooked up the propane bottle and bingo a nice hot grill with temps in the 500-600 degree range.

So, I guess what I am saying is do your research. I won't rely only on a sales person. I will look the grill up on the interweb and check for myself before I lay down the coin.

On a similar note, looking for a "fire table" for NG is similar. Sales people don't know dick all!!

Drill the jets out ( or buy natural gas ones). Then adjust air to get proper flame. Chart for proper hole size IMG_6141.png
how large of hole/ BTU per burner is required.

Last edited:

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kind of getting replies I figured I would get. Went to BBQ country this morning but it was raining so I just looked. Nice kid working there but he appeared to be about 12 years old and I kind of doubt he has ever cooked anything on a grill before (could be wrong) but since I havent bought one before I figured I would research a bit more.

I have narrowed them down to 4 choices for me

Weber - seems built well, but I was hoping for the ability to remove the bottom part for easier cleaning. Not a deal breaker though. I like how the sides fold down flush with it.

Napoleon - is the one the kid recommended second - stainless steel grids is a better thing he said? I dont know if thats true or not. https://www.napoleon.com/en/ca/barbecues/products/gas-grills/rogue-series/rogue-365-r365nk-1

Broil King - is the first grill he recommended like right away - seemed good. I didnt like how the sides folded down, they dont go flat and the design is different than the others but that probably just means it works good and has for years so why change. Was a 3 burner which I dont really need but for the same price as the 2 burners why not https://broilkingbbq.com/en_ca/grills/monarch/monarch_320/

Coleman - is the canadian tire special but all the reviews i can see are good. I havent seen it in person but the sides fold down good, the only iffy thing I think is the grease trap. I would think having it straight down under the box was best but this uses like double grids to channel it to the side of the unit. Must work no one in any review complained about it but I dunno https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...-propane-bbq-black-steel-finish-0853139p.html

Top Bottom