Log Splitters, any recommendations?

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Split Fire splitter is one of the best available. Not the cheapest but works great. Splits in both directions so it is fairly fast 10 seconds ish cycle time depending on the model.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. Ended up buying a 27 ton Black Diamond with 6.5hp Kohler unit from Peavey Mart. $1600 was just too good to pass up. Tried it out a little this afternoon, faster than expected, and easily split some knotty pieces I had troubled widdling down with my maul.

1662866166881.png

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. Ended up buying a 27 ton Black Diamond with 6.5hp Kohler unit from Peavey Mart. $1600 was just too good to pass up. Tried it out a little this afternoon, faster than expected, and easily split some knotty pieces I had troubled widdling down with my maul.

View attachment 259896
That the one I have too.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found the biggest, heaviest splitting maul I could find. Cost like $50 and it contributes to my manliness
you must still be a young man. wait a few years and see how manly you feel. I always say "If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself."

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you must still be a young man. wait a few years and see how manly you feel. I always say "If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself."
I'll be 42 in about a month. Don't feel a day over 39 though

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These Chopper1 axes work the best. Unfortunately, you can't buy them in Canada anymore. We have about 4 of them that we've found at garage sales throughout the years. I haven't used anything that works as well as they do.

https://www.chopper1axe.com/

Those are very good splitting axes.

The collins splitting axe I have now works very good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
View attachment 260206
Decided it was time to buy a splitter. Should have done it years ago.
27ton Champion, split big Douglas fir knots with ease.
Did over a cord in an hour.
"Should have done it years ago."
I said that same statement after I used it for the first time. Not the biggest splitter but it got the job done and I was a happy camper. The little stand/table that I built was a great idea and saved a tremendous amount of “bent over” time.

IMG_0932.JPG IMG_0935.JPG IMG_0945.JPG IMG_0985.JPG IMG_0969.JPG

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I said that same statement after I used it for the first time. Not the biggest splitter but it got the job done and I was a happy camper. The little stand/table that I built was a great idea and saved a tremendous amount of “bent over” time.

View attachment 260225 View attachment 260226 View attachment 260227View attachment 260228 View attachment 260229
Nice setup fernie!
I thought these electric things were junk until I picked up the 9 ton electric and it splits anything I put in it which is mainly large fir. The old back can't handle the wedge and sledge anymore.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

View attachment 260225 View attachment 260226 View attachment 260227View attachment 260228 View attachment 260229

Those are great little splitters!

BTW, Your a very neat “pilot”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5Lgreenback

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve been impressed with the Yardmax 5 ton. It’s a bit slow, but usually I’m dealing with firewood solo, and faster splitters I find to only reduce time greatly with helpers.

I’ve only split maybe 2 cords with it, not sure how it will do longevity wise.

Top Bottom