2A79369B-E8DF-4455-A510-D0C07B63E3C5.jpeg
    551.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 2BA02D91-D383-4865-9327-99AADE105B0F.jpeg
    2BA02D91-D383-4865-9327-99AADE105B0F.jpeg
    643.6 KB · Views: 108

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is everyone’s need for having to split firewood? As long as it’s dry and properly seasoned a full log will burn much longer and yield better heat overall compared to the same log that is split in half or quarters. Unless it’s for a small aesthetic fireplace, a stove big enough for actually heating a house or building should be able to fit atleast 12-14” diameter logs. Sure there’s some logs that are larger and need to be split, but from personally having relied almost exclusively on wood heat for many decades now, I’ve never had trouble finding enough logs smaller than this and typically spend less than a few hours a year splitting wood with an axe just to make use of the few bigger ends occasionally.

Skip the $$ for a splitter and get a stove with a bigger door I’d say. Leave the logs whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I completely agree with this, whether it’s in my outdoor boiler or my wood stove at the cabin, as long as the log fits through the door it’s staying whole. The only time I split is for kindling or if I’m away and the wife can’t lift the larger logs into the boiler. However there is some fireplaces and stoves where split wood is required because of a smaller firebox and some of us know those smaller boxes have a hard time accepting big wood😃

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is everyone’s need for having to split firewood? As long as it’s dry and properly seasoned a full log will burn much longer and yield better heat overall compared to the same log that is split in half or quarters. Unless it’s for a small aesthetic fireplace, a stove big enough for actually heating a house or building should be able to fit atleast 12-14” diameter logs. Sure there’s some logs that are larger and need to be split, but from personally having relied almost exclusively on wood heat for many decades now, I’ve never had trouble finding enough logs smaller than this and typically spend less than a few hours a year splitting wood with an axe just to make use of the few bigger ends occasionally.

Skip the $$ for a splitter and get a stove with a bigger door I’d say. Leave the logs whole.

Bigger stove does not mean more heat, the new catalytic stoves are smaller, burn cleaner and produce more heat over a longer period of time.
Alot of the firewood I get is way bigger than 12".

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We get whole length trees, some 30" at the but and cut 40" long, ends up being a pretty big chunk of wood to get through the door plus pieces that big wont dry properly and it ends up taking 3 days to burn. you burn more wood trying to get the big stuff to burn than you recover in heat. Anything over 8" across gets split at least once

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of moving parts in the Kinetic ones id refer to the KISS method, Keep it simple stupid. If I was buying a kinetic one dont splurge with a cheap one or it will be parts in the back 40 in no time.

Doing further research on Kinetic splitters it appears there are really only 2 quality brands to choose; Super Splitter, and Gripo. Both are around $4k. Definitely lots of poor reviews on the other brands, stripped rack and pinions among them.

A hydraulic with a 4-way knife is probably the ticket for our situation.

Bigger stove does not mean more heat, the new catalytic stoves are smaller, burn cleaner and produce more heat over a longer period of time.
Alot of the firewood I get is way bigger than 12".

I agree. I have a non-cat, but meets the 2015 EPA standards. It's 2.4 cuft, and although it doesn't burn forever it does burn much cleaner than the older stoves. It's effective for our house, although there are days I wish it was 3 cuft.

We had a couple different houses with wood stoves growing up, decent sized things. They'd burn dry wood, wet wood, small wood, big wood, even rotten wood, the only consistency was the continuous plume of blue smoke from the chimney. I like my cleaner stove, most of the visible plume from the chimney is water vapor, not smoke.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
25 tonne with a Honda in the UFA flyer I got today $2g

I have a unit similar with a Koehler from peavey mart that was $1000 a couple years ago.

Does it’s job.

Attachments

• 372C3960-F95B-4A59-94DD-BFBC9CC18B80.jpeg
    372C3960-F95B-4A59-94DD-BFBC9CC18B80.jpeg
    355.3 KB · Views: 85

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too many nails for the yard! Real wood lasts longer after she going good!

I have shat poplar. Gotta split that shat to dry or it rots.

Yeah the nails suck if its your property. If you can stand 30ft away from it with out burning your face, its not a bomb fire imo. Though haha

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have some big popular, its like giant cedar almost.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doing further research on Kinetic splitters it appears there are really only 2 quality brands to choose; Super Splitter, and Gripo. Both are around $4k. Definitely lots of poor reviews on the other brands, stripped rack and pinions among them.

A hydraulic with a 4-way knife is probably the ticket for our situation.

I agree. I have a non-cat, but meets the 2015 EPA standards. It's 2.4 cuft, and although it doesn't burn forever it does burn much cleaner than the older stoves. It's effective for our house, although there are days I wish it was 3 cuft.

We had a couple different houses with wood stoves growing up, decent sized things. They'd burn dry wood, wet wood, small wood, big wood, even rotten wood, the only consistency was the continuous plume of blue smoke from the chimney. I like my cleaner stove, most of the visible plume from the chimney is water vapor, not smoke.
I upgraded to a cat stove last year and the difference is huge. Old stove would maybe burn 7hrs if loaded up and closed damper, new stove will do 12hrs easily of consistent temperature. Manual says it should burn 30hrs at minimum temp setting.
My chimney is a couple feet short of recommended height for optimal burn time so I'm adding another 3 feet this year.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I upgraded to a cat stove last year and the difference is huge. Old stove would maybe burn 7hrs if loaded up and closed damper, new stove will do 12hrs easily of consistent temperature. Manual says it should burn 30hrs at minimum temp setting.
My chimney is a couple feet short of recommended height for optimal burn time so I'm adding another 3 feet this year.

When we bought our stove I wanted a BlazeKing as well, but got a good deal on the one we have now though. If I could go back I'd have bought a BK though.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we bought our stove I wanted a BlazeKing as well, but got a good deal on the one we have now though. If I could go back I'd have bought a BK though.
They are pricey but worth it imo.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blaze Kings for sure are the way to go. My BIL had a Blaze Princess and it was very nice as well for an avg sized place in Revy, didn't need the big one in that climate.

Top Bottom