Bought an M7 now what?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I bought an 05 M7 as a back up sled with 300 ish original km's.

Now what do I need to do to this thing to get it mountain ready?

Obviously siphon out the old gas but what else?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diamond drive oil change, lube up all the zirks........then go ride it. Be prepared to come back smiling. The M7 is an awesome sled, and the engine is bulletproof! A couple of things like minor suspension mods and a taller seat make it even better. Enjoy! :D

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in a similar position a few years back. Found a 2004 RMK 800 with 234 miles on it. Went through it changed chain case oil and greased everything up. It was pretty much empty gas wise so filled with premium and away I went. It smoked a lot on the way out but was fine on the way back. I was a bit hesitate buying a sled that sat for so long but so far so good other than rebuilding the bottom end this summer but that is a known problem for the sled and I knew this before I bought it.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diamond drive oil change, lube up all the zirks........then go ride it. Be prepared to come back smiling. The M7 is an awesome sled, and the engine is bulletproof! A couple of things like minor suspension mods and a taller seat make it even better. Enjoy! :D

Any idea if a guy can find a procedure on how to do this and what oil to use?

Or just as simple as pull plug and replace oil?
And if so what king of oil?

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any idea if a guy can find a procedure on how to do this and what oil to use?

Or just as simple as pull plug and replace oil?
And if so what king of oil?

Pull the drain bolt and refill. Drain bolt is on the backside of the diamond drive and then when filling, tip the sled on its side. I just used the diamond drive oil from arctic cat when I had an M series

Sent from my iPhone

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Put on a new spare belt with fresh gas, make sure no mouse nests in the exhaust and rip it. M7 has unbelievable reliability. By far Arctic Cat's best sled. BDX makes a few kits for bearing replacements in the DD which i would recommend, and then they also make bigger containers of oil for them as well with an easy fill nozzle. Like said before grease it until it comes out of the fittings get rid of that old crappy grease, check your limiter strap so it's not dry rotted. Bring extra plugs for your first ride, wouldn't hurt to put some oil a gallon of fuel and run that first, make sure no air bubbles in the oil line. 300km is a good find.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pull the drain bolt and refill. Drain bolt is on the backside of the diamond drive and then when filling, tip the sled on its side. I just used the diamond drive oil from arctic cat when I had an M series

With that low of km's that'll be OK this time. Next year take your Diamond drive right out and disassemble/inspect it when you change the oil. It's actually the easiest way to change the oil anyway and it lets you know if there are any problems before it gets expensive. The M7 non-reverse Diamond drive is easy to work on.....way easier than a chaincase. Just gotta remember to remove the long bolt that goes through from the brake rotor side or you'll be cursing trying to get it out. Put the oil in it before you put it back together and you won't have to dick with it through the tunnel later.

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's mine......well, my daughters now I guess. These things are awesome!

M7.jpg

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there anywhere a guy could find a shop and or a owners manual for these old beauties?

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once you ride that thing it may not be the spare anymore, they were one of the best sleds cat ever built you wont be sorry you bought it :)

acm1t

Reaction score
First sled I ever owned was an m7 I put over 2000 km before I even turned a wrench on it. And that was to change the dd oil. Great on belts and very easy to learn how to fix a snowmobile. I had 13000 kms on original motor when I did the top end, and I wasted my money because pistons were in great shape. Has to be one of the most reliable 2 stroke motors out there. Have fun with that sled.... You'll be glad you bought it!!!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend had the same sled with that awful Attack 20 track on it. In the mountains he had trouble with the reverse angle lugs not hooking up. It was a fun sled otherwise.

Ya, the Attack 20 was a love/hate thing. I turned mine around then heated/straightened the lugs and it worked really well. Put a Camo on it when the Attack wore out.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will proclimb skis fit on an old M7?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

saltywalt

Reaction score
I don't see why not. Also the HRP front arm brackets for the skid are a good upgrade. They take the buck out of the sled on the trail.

Top Bottom