Blindman River Ride

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a chance to break in the new quad on the Blindman River Ride.
Un-loaded at Bridge South of Blackfalds on hwy 2A.

45 kms one way between Blackfalds and Benetly by river with lots of furry critters in their winter home.

Nice temps today at -8c, and only seen 2 sledders.

Found a few trails to ride by quad, but it looks like there is not enough snow for sleds, and the hills are narrow with ice on them.

Had time for a smoky dog cook along the edge of the river bank.

Old wood'n train bridge that connects the tracks from Blackfalds to Sylvan Lk.

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like lots ohv users can't read to privet property signs that are on both sides of the river.

This photo was taken from a different area showing what the units did to this farmers privet grazing land. Not very good as I hope it gets fenced off once and for all. quad folks wrecking it for sledders. I can see why we fence off our land for this very reason !!!

And it is signed at all gate openings as many of the ohv users think its free range around these properties.

One dose not need to trespass on privet property since there is lots to see along the river.

Plus this river runs for many kms past Bentely if one needs to see more of the back wood lands.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use at your own risk machinery roads link up at different areas along the river it one wants to unload at places.

There area sections that are not fenced off since there is an allowance left open between the crown land and farm land when you get closer to Bently.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't normaly ride the Blindman River as it gets lots of traffic that dosen't work for me.

I like slow speed sight seeing of wild life with lots of stops along the way. Since I was traveling lone wolf on this ride, I spotted 3 groups of deer over the 45 kms and lots of coyotes. Less people means more furry critters.

Tomorrow is a out west ride on crown land since there are no limits to any direction I want to travel.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
And you take your life into your own hands riding on the river. To many drinks and there's a crash. Allmost had a head on there once. Never again will I ride there.
Friend of mine got run into and broke his leg

And ya. People riding on private land is another issue. It will get shut down eventually
Stay off the private land.
I rather ride down the red deer river . Way less traffic

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And you take your life into your own hands riding on the river. To many drinks and there's a crash. Allmost had a head on there once. Never again will I ride there.
Friend of mine got run into and broke his leg

And ya. People riding on private land is another issue. It will get shut down eventually
Stay off the private land.
I rather ride down the red deer river . Way less traffic

Yes to potato heads that like to tip them back, but I don't drink koo-aid at any time since I'm long past those days. As I mentioned in the above post that I don't very offen ride the Blindman since it see a-lot of traffic on weekends or when the weather in bombyy, so I catch it when there is no one using it,,, "next to nil that is."

By riding it as I did yesterday gave me a chance to run between 8 to 14 kpr, and hanging it wide on the out-side curves to limit issues like this. One needs to mitigate the risks at all times.

I think it would be pretty hard to ride the Red Deer river this year since there is next to nill for ice over the last few weeks.

Just getting ready to hit the West lands this morning, easy to get around since all the holes are frozen over.

Pal Lem

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also there is no crown lands on the blindman river excpet for the river and the banks the rest is private land

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your post alarms me. I have been riding the Blindman for 30 years...I would never do it alone. There are too many natural springs feeding it to count. Lots of shallow, turbulant water where ice doesn't form. We have broken through hundreds of times...sometimes it's only a few inches deep, you skim right over, but sometimes it's many feet deep and you lose a machine. We have spent countless hours enjoying the ride from Rimbey Gas Plant to Blackfalds, and every space in between, but to do it alone is fawking insane. Please do yourself and your loved ones a huge favor, take a buddy on your next ride.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your post alarms me. I have been riding the Blindman for 30 years...I would never do it alone. There are too many natural springs feeding it to count. Lots of shallow, turbulant water where ice doesn't form. We have broken through hundreds of times...sometimes it's only a few inches deep, you skim right over, but sometimes it's many feet deep and you lose a machine. We have spent countless hours enjoying the ride from Rimbey Gas Plant to Blackfalds, and every space in between, but to do it alone is fawking insane. Please do yourself and your loved ones a huge favor, take a buddy on your next ride.
I agree with this on a quad forsure

Sled well mabe not as much

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't do the ride by my self as I linked up with my pal West of Blackfalds.

I've been riding this river for 40 + years and pretty much know where every spring is. I did not post pictures of my friends unit since he dose not want any thing to do with public forms. I posting theses rides as lone-wolf so he is not involved in any way, not mention of him is the way he likes to ride.

And we are both packing spot trackers and Iridium sat phone, 2 gps, 2 cell phones as well as first aid kit, fire starter, and emergany blanks. Lots of extras on top of that.

And yes for the second time to crown land as I have posted it in the above posts. I can see why we fenced our land off after seeing the side hills on this farmers land.

Pal Lem

Last edited:
Top Bottom