Riding on the Blindman

Jimbow007

Reaction score
Saw a few guys offloading their quads last night just off the 2A between Red Deer and Blackfalds. Just wondering if the Blindman was frozen enough? Itching to ride closer to home. Want to ride this weekend.

Puffer99

Reaction score
I saw them too, Think they are crazy to be on there this early! lol Won't catch me on it until christmas. Way too many springs and open water to be safe on a quad or side x side.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too usually wait till xmas to ride the river ...either the Blindman at Blackfalls or the Battle River near Ponoka. Way to many open beaver dams and springs for my liking !!! :nono:

I too really enjoy riding on the river.......just want to do it when its safe !!!

jaredvh

Reaction score
Sounds like the general consensus so far is a big NO. I agree, won't put my quad on it until Christmas.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a guy down by the golf course here that has a km or so cleared off with his quad already. There's also a set of tracks going past Bentley....but i never seen a set coming back. I don't think I'd be on it yet....that frikkin water would be pretty chilly I'm thinking.

Jimbow007

Reaction score
I usually stay off until around Christmas too and think I'll wait again. Just wanted to see if it was anyone from here that tried it.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its a bit early imo as well, been on it this early b4 tho and broke through in the odd sposts where it was shallow and near the shore and damns....

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was this while you were riding your harley? could explain alot.

carlsonswerve

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i still have an extra quad if you wanna try the four wheel deal... lol. closer to xmas though

Jimbow007

Reaction score
Just got back from my first ride on the Blindman. Still a few of the usual open spots but over all not bad. Saw a few others down there too.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was by there today too..... on Hwy 2a....looks like a race track aready !!!
Happy Ridin !!! :d

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
hope no one goes through the ice..there are some fairly deep sections there...Ride safe all

LeinaD

Reaction score
I'd love to check it out if anyone's going out and wants company, I've never ridden a frozen river before.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While we are on the topic of riding on the rivers, perhaps we should bring up some safety issues.
Of coarse we all know about the hazards of thin ice, I feel a serious hazard is meeting on coming traffic in the corners. Many of the corners are blind, making it impossible to see oncoming traffic.
We all enjoy doing 70-80 kph, drifting sideways around the corners, until we meet another atv, side by side or snow machine.

So lets all play safe and enjoy the riding.

Jimbow007

Reaction score
While we are on the topic of riding on the rivers, perhaps we should bring up some safety issues.
Of coarse we all know about the hazards of thin ice, I feel a serious hazard is meeting on coming traffic in the corners. Many of the corners are blind, making it impossible to see oncoming traffic.
We all enjoy doing 70-80 kph, drifting sideways around the corners, until we meet another atv, side by side or snow machine.

Couldn't agree more.

Jimbow007

Reaction score
I'd love to check it out if anyone's going out and wants company, I've never ridden a frozen river before.
We will be trying to get out as often as we can over the holidays if you are down this way.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like the "Battle River" is getting some use too !! Lots of tracks on there over the last few days !!!

jaredvh

Reaction score
This really has nothing to do with the conditions of the Blindman.... but I was out riding at Phyllis Lake this weekend and broke thru the crust on the top of the muskeg. It was messy. I'm sure muskeg takes longer to freeze so theres probably a little more ice on the Blindman but I still wont go on it until we have a good cold spell.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

great post

everybody riding on a river needs to stay on there side of the river in the corners i know on the blindman there is never 2 lines worn down to the ice only one on the inside only a matter of time before there is a head on colision

Top Bottom