Big iron shootout 2009

sledman65

Reaction score
Try the Revelstoke Lodge,but dont tell them you're sledders (or skiers)250-837-2181

Devo

Reaction score
Its attitudes like that that will get this area shut down. The eco's are just gunning for us right now and with the recent poll in the revy times about how bad sledders are for the mountain caribou, watching 500-1000 extra people just ride around the gate and onto the hill will ensure that we are #1 on the hit list for users to be tossed from the area. Seems kinda like coincidence that sledding awareness is brought to the forefront of the public eye just before the largest sled weekend of the year......

If you don't think that there will be reps from all sorts of other user groups and government depts there with camera's in hand to document things like "classical actions" like these that harm the perception of sledders.....you're about 12 yrs behind the times.

In order for this event and sledding to be sustainable in Revy, sledders will have to respect the cap or risk losing more.

I guess we will see what path sledders choose......
\

Well said

Reaction score
Sledslut:

Maybe get the facts straight. The 1000 limit is because of what is written into our agreement with the forest service who issues us our management agreements and becasue of limited parking.

I hope to see you here to help pick up garbage when this is done.

regulation Ron

carguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As long as there isnt a bunch of people who cant operate a snowmobile out there and there not smashing into each other like afew years ago there shouldnt be any problems

Ya, how inconsiderate of them!

I know my ghost riding has improved in the past couple years.....I'm ready.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have two extra rooms for saturday night at the super 8 revelstoke. Let me know if anyone wants them. Hate to give them up to a skier.

SRS

Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Please be advised that the Snowmobile Revelstoke Society has a maximum capacity policy in effect as per our Management Agreement and Operating Plan for the 2008 / 2009 season. Three years ago the Board of Directors for the Snowmobile Revelstoke Society recognized the need to determine a maximum capacity due to the constraints of parking and environmental impact. The need to park safely, legally and to be prepared in case of an emergency is vital to the success of the Society. It is the intention of the Board of Directors to provide a quality trail system for the enjoyment and safety of all snowmobilers and to support the sport of snowmobiling in an environmentally responsible manner.

Therefore, the Snowmobile Revelstoke Society will accept vehicles for parking up to capacity of the parking lots as determined by onsite parking attendants and or the manager. Excess vehicles will be turned away and the parking lots closed. A maximum of 1000 trail passes will be sold between all booth locations. This includes the Main Parking Lots at Boulder, Frisby and the West Entrance.

In regards to the Big Iron Shoot Out. The Society recognizes that this event has been planned for the 2008 / 2009 season. The Board of Directors feel that in order for the operations of the Society to be a success we need to work within our financial and staffing constraints as well as to follow the Mission and Vision Statements of the Society. The Directors are concerned that this event could potentially impact our Management Agreements and therefore have decided to not be involved at this time. We will manage the parking and grooming as we normally would.

THE MAXIMUM CAPACITY POLICY WILL BE IN EFFECT.

Trail passes cannot be purchased ahead of time and it will be on a first come first serve basis only. Please understand that the Snowmobile Revelstoke Society is simply trying to protect our operations, our management agreements as well as trying to keep riding areas open for years to come.

Angie
Executive Director
Snowmobile Revelstoke Society

G

Guest1

As long as there isnt a bunch of people who cant operate a snowmobile out there and there not smashing into each other like afew years ago there shouldnt be any problems

:rolleyes:

GOT AZZHAT

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Whew! It has taken a few days and a lot of phone calls, but we now have medics & gear for the hill and have communicated with the local emergency organizations, helicopter companies and the forestry to ensure that everyone is aware of the protocols and availability of any resources that may be necessary to run this day smoothly and safely.

Randy & Lori Zacaruk will be starting to flag the cut blocks on Thursday morning and look forward to meeting any of you that may be available to help out. 403-860-9944

Dusty, did you have any luck rounding up some survey lathe to flag the riding areas?
Heads up...anyone planning enter the riding areas will be required to complete a waiver of liability. Waivers will be available at Zala's on Friday for those already in town. They may also be completed on the hill.

Bring a few extra bucks to the trail booth as you will be asked to throw in a donation to help cover the expenses of the day. Any funds that are generated that exceed the costs will be donated to the SRS & the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club.

Please recognize that the parking constraints are very real. The SRS always works hard to arrange the lots efficiently, but once they are full, they are full. Parking along the highways is not possible. You will be towed.

If you are making the journey to Revelstoke, please have an alternate plan in mind. You may be the 1001st person. Avoid making a scene at the trail booth. It doesn't help anyone. Neither do nasty phone calls to the SRS and the RSC. These volunteers have put up with a lot of our sh## over the years. Cut them some slack.

Please support our efforts to maintain peace, respect and responsibility while enjoying a wicked day on the mountain. If we look after ourselves properly this weekend, who knows...2010 is a year away...a lot of good things can happen between now and then.

So far this week this has been my feelings: :) :confused: :rules: :Ponder: :eek: :mad: :Ponder: :PDT_kap: :) :beer:

Guest101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone make sure you pack out your garbage!!! This our backyard and nobody likes garbage in there backyard...Right

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone riding solo at the BIS? I Couldn't find anyone that could take the time off work to come with me. I will be arriving on the 19th and riding all weekend. Let me know if anyone wants to come, or if you have room in your group for one more. I'll be leaving from Red Deer tomorrow sometime. I'm sure I'll find lots of people to ride with...just thought I'd throw it out their on here.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the whole only 1000 people limit. I was at the last BIS in '06,There were quite a few sledders there but I did not think it was ridiculous over crowding.Other than the parking areas, and I am sure that i did not here about all the incidents, I did come upon the 10sled mishap immediately after it happened. It just seems like if a person could round up more volunteers from different sled clubs from BC,AB,etc. and mark trails to and from the hills with the events and maybe areas in the meadows for others. it could be a great event to everones benefit. It just seemed like poor Ozone and a few others were left trying to run things and not realizing how big of a turn out it was going to be. I know if I could get away for the show this weekend I would be there and have no problem volunteering my services during some of the events and assist with the clean up even a day or so after the event. It would also be a great opportunity to meet people and put a face to the online name. As far as rif raf etc. they will be at any event big or small. the bigger the event the more volunteers and organization required, and there are still glitches in any program. things happen. As far as garbage I am sure that all the garbage shown in the pics from the '06 is not just fom that event. It is very tough to find all parts and pieces after your machine rolls down the hill several times. Just my two cents, and hope i am not totally out of line, if i am, you can be sure that someone on here will tell me. Well heres to hoping everything goes well and maybe it will be a larger event in the future for all to enjoy.
ps. can't wait to see the pics ,videos, and here all the stories.

The_black_cat800

Reaction score
the whole 1000 people thing is such a crock of... S H ! T.. i mean thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard and im only a third year rider at the age of 18.. that gives guys like us that want to go out and experience this sorta thing that havent been there before a BAD experience because for A) i probably wont even be able to go now.. B) guys are going to be complete ass wauds and do what they want even though there is 1000 people going and then they are going to do somthing totally stupid and mess it up for the years to come adn its going to get shut down perminantly and whats left for us guys who really respect the mountains and the PRECIOUS caribou is a B.I.S that we will never see again ... so in other words this whole event is SCREWED

Last edited by a moderator:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the whole 1000 people thing is such a crock of... S H ! T.. i mean thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard and im only a third year rider at the age of 18.. that gives guys like us that want to go out and experience this sorta thing that havent been there before a BAD experience because for A) i probably wont even be able to go now.. B) guys are going to be complete ass wauds and do what they want even though there is 1000 people going and then they are going to do somthing totally stupid and mess it up for the years to come adn its going to get shut down perminantly and whats left for us guys who really respect the mountains and the PRECIOUS caribou is a B.I.S that we will never see again ... so in other words this whole event is SCREWED

You are only 18, you will hear of plenty of dumber sh!t before you die. The unlimited crowd size at the '06 one was great! We were in Sicamous and had the whole area to ourselves for three days.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well it sounds like you have already written the BIS off. People better respect the limit or there definitely won't be another one. Its not a crock, its a way of life. The best thing you can do is to teach other riders to respect the environment, wildlife and the rules, clean up on the hill and that way if these riders end up at an event like the BIS, they will be ambassadors for the sport and maybe events like the BIS will live to see another day so that you can go. The key word here is "sustainable". The 1000 rider limit is there so that sledding in Revy is sustainable over the long term.

The chips will fall where they may. Sledders have the opportunity here to demonstrate some self-control and discipline and put a real positive spin on sledding in a sensitive area where its future has unpredicatibility. Or we can pound another nail in the coffin (hopefully not). We each help determine our own fate.

Good luck to all participants - keep the rubber side down!!! LOL
:)

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it sounds like you have already written the BIS off. People better respect the limit or there definitely won't be another one. Its not a crock, its a way of life. The best thing you can do is to teach other riders to respect the environment, wildlife and the rules, clean up on the hill and that way if these riders end up at an event like the BIS, they will be ambassadors for the sport and maybe events like the BIS will live to see another day so that you can go. The key word here is "sustainable". The 1000 rider limit is there so that sledding in Revy is sustainable over the long term.

The chips will fall where they may. Sledders have the opportunity here to demonstrate some self-control and discipline and put a real positive spin on sledding in a sensitive area where its future has unpredicatibility. Or we can pound another nail in the coffin (hopefully not). We each help determine our own fate.

Good luck to all participants - keep the rubber side down!!! LOL
:)
good job modman.its crazy that people are still b@##ching.BE GLAD THERE IS EVENT.you bitch when there is and you bitch when there isen't.Geeeees
lol.:d:d:d

snow_farmer

Reaction score
Don't like the 1000 person limit.Don't go.Respect what the club and society is trying to do.This is our future.:realmad:

+1
I would love to go watch, but I think its better to stay away. I always say there's always next weekend to go riding, but the way the environmentalists have support it may become very limited, so why add fuel to the fire! :(

The_black_cat800

Reaction score
no its just that some times you get a couple BIG WIGS higher up and it seems to be what THEY want and i have seen a few of them around my general area with thier snow clubs but i guess thats true let the people go, more riding around here

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no its just that some times you get a couple BIG WIGS higher up and it seems to be what THEY want and i have seen a few of them around my general area with thier snow clubs but i guess thats true let the people go, more riding around here

So are you a member of the Sno-Goers or the Castlegar club then?

Top Bottom