Is our sport dying? Why we need PR and why we need it now!

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My thought on why our sport is dying is the news makes us sound like a$$ and it cost lots to get into and keep going in it. But the big thing is the news makes us sound like rednecks too that's my 2cents so I don't know if it true or fales but who knows.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My thought on why our sport is dying is the news makes us sound like a$$ and it cost lots to get into and keep going in it. But the big thing is the news makes us sound like rednecks too that's my 2cents so I don't know if it true or fales but who knows.

The Media loves dirty laundry, good stories don't get the reaction bad shocking ones do. it is unfair and screwed up. If clubs would take on more with the communities they are in, then the good may start coming out. There will always be those who dislike us, but then we can't please everyone

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Media loves dirty laundry, good stories don't get the reaction bad shocking ones do. it is unfair and screwed up. If clubs would take on more with the communities they are in, then the good may start coming out. There will always be those who dislike us, but then we can't please everyone

HASLETT, Mich., November 5, 2009— Every year, 3 million people bundle up, get
outdoors and participate in an activity that generates $28 billion worth of economic
activity in North America

Thats alota cash we spend combined we would have alot of influence just saying.:beer::d

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I look into it seems we are growing not dying. I'm still all Fawked up on the 28 bill holly chit thats alot a cabbage.

Last year showed a continued increase in sale of parts garments and accessories as many individuals fixed up their snowmobiles and purchased new garments and accessories to help them enjoy the winter. Based on last year’s level of activity we expect 2009-2010 to be a quality year for the snowmobile industry.

Last year, snowmobilers averaged over 1300 miles of riding, which was a 20% increase from the previous year. The increase in riding, along with the increase in snowmobile registrations resulted in a strong tourism impact report for snowmobiling. Restaurants, Motels, and related businesses all benefitted from an excellent 2008-2009 snowmobiling season. Over $28 billion dollars in economic activity occurred in North America – related to snowmobiling in the 2008-2009 season.

This year you can expect to see more young faces on the trail. Survey results show that the average snowmobiler is now one year younger than last year – so younger folks are joining the snowmobiling family and bringing a renewed level of enthusiasm and confidence to the market.

We are looking forward to a great snowmobile season this year. I recommend you take the time to inspect the new snowmobiles and discover the amazing technology that is now available for all of us to enjoy

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's not the media that loves the laundry, it's the people consuming it. They're the same people that are watching Big Brother, Americas Top Model and the rest of that "reality" garbage that's on TV. It's stupid to blame the media for anything, they are playing to their market.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I look into it seems we are growing not dying. I'm still all Fawked up on the 28 bill holly chit thats alot a cabbage.

Last year showed a continued increase in sale of parts garments and accessories as many individuals fixed up their snowmobiles and purchased new garments and accessories to help them enjoy the winter. Based on last year’s level of activity we expect 2009-2010 to be a quality year for the snowmobile industry.

Last year, snowmobilers averaged over 1300 miles of riding, which was a 20% increase from the previous year. The increase in riding, along with the increase in snowmobile registrations resulted in a strong tourism impact report for snowmobiling. Restaurants, Motels, and related businesses all benefitted from an excellent 2008-2009 snowmobiling season. Over $28 billion dollars in economic activity occurred in North America – related to snowmobiling in the 2008-2009 season.

This year you can expect to see more young faces on the trail. Survey results show that the average snowmobiler is now one year younger than last year – so younger folks are joining the snowmobiling family and bringing a renewed level of enthusiasm and confidence to the market.

We are looking forward to a great snowmobile season this year. I recommend you take the time to inspect the new snowmobiles and discover the amazing technology that is now available for all of us to enjoy

Sleds sales are decreasing, they have been since the late 1990's. I can get you the figures.

It's not the media that loves the laundry, it's the people consuming it. They're the same people that are watching Big Brother, Americas Top Model and the rest of that "reality" garbage that's on TV.

I agree with this statement.

It's stupid to blame the media for anything, they are playing to their market.

I disagree with this statement. To me, you are saying they are not responsible and accountable for what they report, so long as the audience likes it. Someone, somewhere makes a conscious choice on how and what perception they report a story with, whether it is biased or fair, etc. If the media screwed up their fact checking on a story - Do you think they would do an exposing report on potentially lack of fact checking? Probably not........ my point is that its a matter of choice on what they report, and how they report it, the only people that care to tilt the story to "play" to an audience would be them.

If they screwed up your name and reported you as a criminal, would you try and correct their mistake or would you just say oh well, they need to report something bad on the 6 o'clock news to "play to their audience"?, they can't be blamed ;) I kinda think not..:).. I'm not OK with being someone's patsy....Someone makes a conscious decision to report every story in a certain way, that decision means they have to accept responsibility for it regardless of what the audience "likes".

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You make a good point point Modman, it would be nice if they reported the events and left out the editorializing

Sleds sales are decreasing, they have been since the late 1990's. I can get you the figures.

I disagree with this statement. To me, you are saying they are not responsible and accountable for what they report, so long as the audience likes it. Someone, somewhere makes a conscious choice on how and what perception they report a story with, whether it is biased or fair, etc. If the media screwed up their fact checking on a story - Do you think they would do an exposing report on potentially lack of fact checking? Probably not........ my point is that its a matter of choice on what they report, and how they report it, the only people that care to tilt the story to "play" to an audience would be them.

If they screwed up your name and reported you as a criminal, would you try and correct their mistake or would you just say oh well, they need to report something bad on the 6 o'clock news to "play to their audience"?, they can't be blamed ;) I kinda think not..:).. I'm not OK with being someone's patsy....Someone makes a conscious decision to report every story in a certain way, that decision means they have to accept responsibility for it regardless of what the audience "likes".

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree with this statement.

Don't tell me show me the numbers I went and checked consumer report northamerica and those are the first 2 articles that came up. 3 more buddies of mine have gotten into it in the last yr I think the sport is strong look at the numbers and follow the money 28 billion.

Another one for ya

Snowmobile Economic Indicators are Positive
ISMA Update 8/12/09

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact Ed Klim, President

International Snowmobile Manufacturers Association

We enter the 2009-2010 season with a positive outlook supported by robust activity and vigorous support for organized snowmobiling. Snowmobile registrations in North America were up in 2009 compared to 2008. In the 2008-2009 season there were 765,275 registered snowmobiles in Canada compared to 708,490 in 2007-2008 - an 8% increase in registered snowmobiles (a trend that started in 2003). In the United States, snowmobile registrations this year were 1,652,642 compared to the previous year’s 1,635,361. This is a 1% increase in the number of registered snowmobiles in the US, which is heartwarming in today’s economy. North American families are snowmobiling more now than ever. They are realizing the fun of snowmobiling and the opportunity to share wonderful experiences with family members and friends.

2010 is another milestone year for the manufacturers and the snowmobile community. The snowmobile manufacturers are required to meet phase 2 of the EPA emission standard with the new 2010 models. These rigid emission requirements, established by the EPA in 2002, are being met by the manufacturers through advanced technology, new engine specifications with dramatic improvement to the quality of the product.

For the month of July 2009, the global cooling continued. Climatologists across the northern sectors of North America reported a 70F BELOW AVERAGE temperature. In some regions, this summer has been the coldest in more than 100 years. Based on initial reports, the global cooling will continue and we can expect good snowfall with great snowmobiling temperatures this winter. The statistics, regardless of what some extremists may report, bode well for the continuation of mankind and the return to normal weather patterns, which includes considerable snowfall and average winter temperatures.

We are looking forward to a great snowmobile season this year. I recommend you take the time to inspect the new snowmobiles and discover the amazing technology that is now available for all of us to enjoy.

8/12/09

Ok I'm done now:beer::beer::beer::d needed a few after that

NIDAHOBOONDOCKER

Reaction score

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Sorry, I screwed that link up, posted the wrong one! Try this one....ACSA, American Council of Snowmobile Associations. Information is power.

CCSO and the ACSA along with other associations do work together.
The Internation Snowmobile Congress is taking place this year in Calgary.

"Expected to participate in the four-day event are representatives from the American Council of Snowmobile Associations (ACSA) – the 26 U.S. Snow Belt states, members of the Canadian Council of Snowmobile Organizations (CCSO) and the Swedish Snowmobile Owners Federation (SnoFed) as well as snowmobilers from Eastern Europe and Russia.

Events and programs are also presented by the Iron Dog Brigade, the ASA Educational Sessions, the International Snowmobile Media Council, the International Snowmobile Tourism Council, the Snowmobile Association of Massachusetts and of course – the Thirsty Dogs. The International Association of Snowmobile Administrators also hold their annual meetings in conjunction with ISC."

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't tell me show me the numbers I went and checked consumer report northamerica and those are the first 2 articles that came up. 3 more buddies of mine have gotten into it in the last yr I think the sport is strong look at the numbers and follow the money 28 billion.

Here are the sales figures I was referencing (there is complete data from 1996 but I will only post a few years because I have to manually type them in, just to give the trend - this is western Canada and Canada-wide, western US and US-wide are similar). These are from the ISC in Iowa.

Western Canada

1996 - 17,803
1997 - 21,008
1999 - 18,491
2002 - 13,769
2005 - 10,359
2007 - 14,634
2010 - 10,785

Canada-wide

1990 - 57,000
1997 - 68,742 (highest year)
2003 - 50,209
2010 - 37,670 (lowest year)

Western US
1996 - 34,820 (highest year)
2010 - 13,731 (lowest year)

In western Canada, there are half the # of new sled sales last year compared to 1997.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the average price of a new sled in 2010 twice that of a new sled in 1997?

NIDAHOBOONDOCKER

Reaction score
Is the average price of a new sled in 2010 twice that of a new sled in 1997?

True, in some cases its tripled, but the reliability has also doubled or tripled. Out of the box HP and ride. This really hurt the aftermarket mfg that were in business in the 90's. IMO the mfg need to make normal entry level sleds if they want to keep the market viable. If they were smart they would all come together and have a realistically priced sled for the average joe and sell it for $5000.00.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here are the sales figures I was referencing (there is complete data from 1996 but I will only post a few years because I have to manually type them in, just to give the trend - this is western Canada and Canada-wide, western US and US-wide are similar). These are from the ISC in Iowa.

Western Canada

1996 - 17,803
1997 - 21,008
1999 - 18,491
2002 - 13,769
2005 - 10,359
2007 - 14,634
2010 - 10,785

Canada-wide

1990 - 57,000
1997 - 68,742 (highest year)
2003 - 50,209
2010 - 37,670 (lowest year)

Western US
1996 - 34,820 (highest year)
2010 - 13,731 (lowest year)

In western Canada, there are half the # of new sled sales last year compared to 1997.

qurious what is the source for these numbers:d

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
qurious what is the source for these numbers:d

These were from the ISMA conference in Iowa? 2010. They were also published in SnoWest (Dec issue?). I can confirm later if you want me to or someone that has a Snowest subscription can probably confirm it.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
True, in some cases its tripled, but the reliability has also doubled or tripled. Out of the box HP and ride. This really hurt the aftermarket mfg that were in business in the 90's. IMO the mfg need to make normal entry level sleds if they want to keep the market viable. If they were smart they would all come together and have a realistically priced sled for the average joe and sell it for $5000.00.

were you dropped on your head as a child???????

terry65m

Reaction score
the not dying thats not going to happen.what the sport needs is fewer people organizing it to death.been sledding since early 70"s it keeps growing.

terry65m

Reaction score
I don"t think think our sport is even sick . Its been growing in leaps and bounds since the late 60"s early 70"s.Just look at sled sales in the last 20 years.How many ereas can you list right now strictly for sledding?How many were there say 15 years ago?we"ve come a long way too late to turn back now.onward and upward.

NIDAHOBOONDOCKER

Reaction score
were you dropped on your head as a child???????

Well maybe, you must own a 800 polaris :nono: Seriously, I can remember when riding 40 miles in a day was a lot, and many breakdowns occurred. Now 150 isn't out of the question out west and my sled rarely needs work. Case in point....1987 Yamaha Exciter.....could go back farther but its true imo

the not dying thats not going to happen.what the sport needs is fewer people organizing it to death.been sledding since early 70"s it keeps growing.

Not growing you mean? How can you say it has grown? Sled sales down....ok im with you sort of on the organizing but isn't that what this thread is about? Organizing ONE place to go to get/contribute information? Ask the guys in West Yellowstone if it has grown....sorry, disagree, not when sleds are 12K +

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These were from the ISMA conference in Iowa? 2010. They were also published in SnoWest (Dec issue?). I can confirm later if you want me to or someone that has a Snowest subscription can probably confirm it.

Thanks for the info Modman. I guess I gotta wonder if it is a bad thing less crowded riding areas less garbage out there less swearing in public places that offend the general public. I kinda think that the people that benefit the most from sledding should step up. Manufacturers of sleds, safety gear, Hotels, Motels, and bizzes that have a vested interest in how the sport progresses. To put it back on the sled community is B.S. We spend between $ 10,000 to 17,000 thousand for the machine then another couple grand on safety gear avy bag probe beacon. Fuel accomidations oil food bevy's how much of the load do sledders have to bare. Time for the parties that have been profiting from our sport to get their chit together and represent. They have failed to represent to this point. I guess if they keep seeing their numbers decline they might get on it. JMHO:beer::d

Top Bottom