Is our sport dying? Why we need PR and why we need it now!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Teth-Air;1148580 Is there interest for a new club in the South end of Calgary? One that is less formal with out minutes and voting etc. [/QUOTE said:
that's called "let's go for a beer!"

You tell me how you can have a "club" without the formalities this day and age?

First of all, insurance! Need I go any further?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
The "club" you speak of is much like our GBCA group. basically just a bunch of guys who enjoy sleds, drinks & laughs....

Such a "club" could never be sanctioned under the ASA because the formalities such as minutes, dues, volunteer time etc... are required and governed by the "companies act" of alberta and must be structured as such with named directors and executive.

sounds like you just need friends chris.....:eek::d:p

I would like to but most of they guys I ride with are much younger than me and are very unreliable at this stage in their life. I am surprized and amazed when they can commit to sledding in advance of 24 hours notice.

Is there interest for a new club in the South end of Calgary? One that is less formal with out minutes and voting etc. as I am already a member of way too many associations and these young guys won't buy into that right away.

They want to have a place to have a beer, watch sled videos and even work on the machines. I'm sure many structured clubs started this way.

Zacs Avy Crew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
Randy and Lori are headed out to Avalanche Centre general meetings next week in Penticton, BC. Does anyone have new thoughts or concerns that they would like to be shared? Meetings will include reps from Gov't, Coroner's service, snowmobile clubs, tour operators and manufacturers.

awied

Reaction score
All good points, the local clubs are the grassroots of the sport and I'm all about advocating for increased rider support, but again, not many of the local clubs can reach the greater audience. I think releasing some of the stats you mention above, would be a step in the right direction. So many people do not realize the lack of support for their local club.

At the end of the day, I'm still a man of action. Now that the season is starting to wind down, I will be contacting some of you guys to discuss further ideas and what we can do to promote this.

What are your thoughts on if all the clubs were represented by one voice? Would the local level be comfortable allowing a PR firm to speak for them on a higher playing field (like to provincial media outlets)? Comment.

ABC Snowmobile Clubs is having a planning meeting next week in Penticton where several of the Board members are also attending the Canadian Avalanche meetings. We will be reviewing the Questionaire responses and planning for the next few years. Effectively representing our member clubs is what we are all about. We will be looking at ways to speak for snowmobiling at the Provincial and Federal level as both levels of government need to be better aquainted with the needs of recreational snowmobilers. We will also be looking at the spokesman issue as that is a critical need in BC.

The issue of joining snowmobile clubs has two sides. You can join for social reasons to meet with buddies, ride together etc. You can also join to support snowmobiling in general and never attend a meeting. It is all about clubs having enough funds to not only look after their area and organize local events but also to have the funds to attend meetings with Government and other recreation organizations to be a voice and to lobby for snowmobiling.

Modman, please include me in your "action plan"

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teth-Air;1148580 Is there interest for a new club in the South end of Calgary? One that is less formal with out minutes and voting etc. [/QUOTE said:
that's called "let's go for a beer!"

You tell me how you can have a "club" without the formalities this day and age?

First of all, insurance! Need I go any further?
The "club" you speak of is much like our GBCA group. basically just a bunch of guys who enjoy sleds, drinks & laughs....

Such a "club" could never be sanctioned under the ASA because the formalities such as minutes, dues, volunteer time etc... are required and governed by the "companies act" of alberta and must be structured as such with named directors and executive.

sounds like you just need friends chris.....""

Originally Posted by Teth-Air
I would like to but most of they guys I ride with are much younger than me and are very unreliable at this stage in their life. I am surprized and amazed when they can commit to sledding in advance of 24 hours notice.

Is there interest for a new club in the South end of Calgary? One that is less formal with out minutes and voting etc. as I am already a member of way too many associations and these young guys won't buy into that right away.

They want to have a place to have a beer, watch sled videos and even work on the machines. I'm sure many structured clubs started this way.

My point is that I don't think the clubs are offering what the young riders are looking for. I can relate to the clubs and the young riders but really can't see them coming together until these young guys mature more and see that they must get involved. I don't have the answers only see that there is a problem here. And Bogger, how much are your friendship fees?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Randy and Lori are headed out to Avalanche Centre general meetings next week in Penticton, BC. Does anyone have new thoughts or concerns that they would like to be shared? Meetings will include reps from Gov't, Coroner's service, snowmobile clubs, tour operators and manufacturers.

ABC Snowmobile Clubs is having a planning meeting next week in Penticton where several of the Board members are also attending the Canadian Avalanche meetings. We will be reviewing the Questionaire responses and planning for the next few years. Effectively representing our member clubs is what we are all about. We will be looking at ways to speak for snowmobiling at the Provincial and Federal level as both levels of government need to be better aquainted with the needs of recreational snowmobilers. We will also be looking at the spokesman issue as that is a critical need in BC.

The issue of joining snowmobile clubs has two sides. You can join for social reasons to meet with buddies, ride together etc. You can also join to support snowmobiling in general and never attend a meeting. It is all about clubs having enough funds to not only look after their area and organize local events but also to have the funds to attend meetings with Government and other recreation organizations to be a voice and to lobby for snowmobiling.

Modman, please include me in your "action plan"

If possible,can you both please PM me your email and I'll be able to fire off an email from home later. I will absolutely include anyone wanting to be involved for the betterment of our sport, but this really isn't "my plan" (more like an idea), it has to be collaborative, it has to work, and it has to be everyone's plan for it to succeed.

Thanks for the support.

Zacs

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
If possible,can you both please PM me your email and I'll be able to fire off an email from home later. I will absolutely include anyone wanting to be involved for the betterment of our sport, but this really isn't "my plan" (more like an idea), it has to be collaborative, it has to work, and it has to be everyone's plan for it to succeed.

Thanks for the support.

Sorry, missed this post.

lori at zacstracs.com

Always interested to be part of the solution. Headed to the International Snowmobile Congress this week. Great place to take new ideas as well!!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Sorry, missed this post.

lori at zacstracs.com

Always interested to be part of the solution. Headed to the International Snowmobile Congress this week. Great place to take new ideas as well!!

we offered to send a counsilor from Lac Ste.Anne County... they regretfully declined the invitation...:(

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Perhaps consider attending an ASA function rather than this international one? The agenda items will be much more targeted to local needs and initiatives.

Lori, got your message but unfortunately I got swamped with an emergency call on Tues that has kept me tied up, finally got a break today for an hour.

Thanks for taking this up with the ISC conference, as is usually the case, life gets in the way of something like this. Hopefully in the next couple weeks we can move the process forward another step in whatever way we feel appropriate. I sent you a PM back and started the email to all interested so that it does not stagnate any further.

Thanks again to everyone interested.

Bart

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think the ASA still has a "Social Club" type membership. Trail Building and non-trail building clubs. Such a club could fit into non trail building club. They want insurance but no trail issues. Still some rules as expected in this day and age. This would be the best fit for what your looking for

Top Bottom