Best Place for First Time Mountain Ride

landownunder

Reaction score
Where would you guys suggest would be the best place for first time mountain riders? It would be just the wife and myself, we just got into sledding last year and have never been out to the hills so I'd like to go somewhere that would be a good introduction to mountain riding that is safe and not extremely difficult. We would be coming from Edmonton and are thinking of going in between Xmas and New Years.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Valemount has Allan creek,chapel creek and Clemina creek which all have groomed easy access trails and plenty of beginner terrain to practice in. There is still avalanche terrain in all areas so be prepared. It would also be your closest from edmonton

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pick somewhere with a cabin so you guys can have lunch and warm up then play at your will! fernie and valemount are both great, I haven't been to revy yet

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any place has it's easy areas. Mcbride has very tame terrain also. Lots of families bring their kids up to Belle for tobogganing.

I think whatever you choose, you will be ok.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clemina would be a good choice. Get your avy training and gear before you go. You could roll it into one also. Do your training there and get your first ride in at the same time.

Dakine879

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said... I popped my cherry at Clemina last year. Did my practical part of my avalanche course there as well. Easy trail up to the hill and there is a cabin for your mrs to warm up...

Have FUN!!

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Hire a guide or ride with someone who knows the area.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where would you guys suggest would be the best place for first time mountain riders? It would be just the wife and myself, we just got into sledding last year and have never been out to the hills so I'd like to go somewhere that would be a good introduction to mountain riding that is safe and not extremely difficult. We would be coming from Edmonton and are thinking of going in between Xmas and New Years.

If you and your wife have only been riding for a year, I wouldn't recommend what most consider mountain riding in dec. To be honest you probably won't enjoy it. It's not as easy at it looks in the videos! If you want to try something different and see some beautiful country ... pick an area with a long trail ride in... For several reasons. If it's crappy weather or low light you still get a nice day ride in and see some beautiful terrain. Secondly in dec, the chances of low light is pretty good, thirdly if you don't know the area you can get into some serious trouble pretty quick if you don't know where you are going and you truly won't enjoy it. To the point you many never go back. I would recommend waiting until March when the snow I setup better and the days are longer and brighter. I would definitely recommend a guide ... In fact ... It's pretty much a necessity imo for first timers. That being said if I was to pick a best choice for first timers ... I would say renshaw in mcbride for the simple fact the trail is a beauty and there is some simple terrain near the trail head. Worst case, you get a nice 60km ride in for the day.

nathan#19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will agree with the mcbride renshaw recommendation. That's where I go. There is simple areas and hard ares. The biggest factor is to find someone to go with that can get you to an area that you will like. It's also good to find someone that will suggest things that you need to practice. Until you can get a trip together, go out and find the hardest terrain you can ,and master it, because alberta complicated terrain is simple mountain terrain. River valleys are sometimes good areas to ride on some hills and discover momentum and sidehilling if there is enough snow.

tranquillicer

Reaction score
So many things you can work on before going to the Mts that will help you when you get there. Remember that there is seldom any large amount of flat terrain so you need to be able to handle your sled on all sorts of cambers and slopes. As mentioned above, practice at home. Find what ever powder you can and learn to carve the sled or get it on it's edge. Avy training just goes without saying as does the guide thing. They know the terrain, avy conditions and will quickly asses your skill level and seek out appropriate terrain for you and....keep you safe. My daughters learned to sled mts in Valemount and have progressed from there just fine.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clemina would be your bests choice in my opinion, nice ride to the cabin then fairly easy to get around from there, lots to see, great place to figure things out at

if you prefer to go to sicamous then blue lake would be top of the list, both great places to start with lots of options

Alberta Beach Doo

Reaction score
Where ever you go , make sure you go with people who have the time and patience. The best would be for you guys to find some decent riders who know the area and are not about trying to take you places on the hill your not ready to go. My first time many years ago I went with a few hot heads who just wanted to find the most challenging terrain. For them. I had tons of miles of riding experience but none in the mountains. Its always the best and safest to go with a crew that is patient and willing to wait/help the greener riders

birdie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with Stormtrooper Head for the Renshaw Trail in Mcbride
The Renshaw is a great trail and its easy to play in the alpine once at the cabin
You can play around there and get your legs so to speak
Its also good to see all the other sleds up there and watch what not to do

I would wait till March as Dec & Jan can be snowing alot and when its hard to see you will not have fun
Belle is also and easy hill to go to in the Mcbride area

A Guide will help as well
Enjoy
birdie

Top Bottom