Best fuel?

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I keep reading posts about the negative effects of ethanol in sleds....so what's the alternative and who sells it?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are asking about premium pump fuel, there are a few stations that sell ethanol-free premium. In my neck of the woods I have a Co-op and a Hughes that both sell ethanol free premium. If travelling, I ask before picking up the nozzle from the pump.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Most pumps I come across have "no ethanol" decals on the premium pumps. Don't know if one can believe it but I have never had a hick-up with the premium I buy whether it be Costco, FasGas, PetroCan, Shell, or Esso. I will not go to a Husky.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451740517.261667.jpg a very simple way of testing to see if there is ethanol in fuel. I run Costco premium and have never seen ethanol in it.
Add water to the water mark, and the rest with the fuel you want to test. Shake it up, if ethanol is present it will blend with the water and will raise the "water" line once it settles out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally don't trust Costco fuels. I am not certain of there origin or the spec that they adhere to. If you are running Costco fuel and having unexplained intermittent service engine soon lights appear try switching fuel. I have had problems with no name fuel on two occasions once with diesel and once with gas. I prefer Petrocan 94 or Shell 91 both are ethanal free.

Ol' Sarge

Reaction score
Costco is a top tier fuel supplier.

Top Tier Gasoline

With a few exceptions (PetroCan and some no-names) premium fuel, at least in Alberta, is ethanol free. Shell is for sure, at least for now. If in doubt use a simple test like kidder's^^

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm going to ask the stupid question, just because I never researched it. What's the problem with running ethanol fuel?:confused:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing as long as electronics or fuel is adjusted for the ethanol.
Carb engines needs fuel increased . Bigger jets.
Fuel separates within a short period of time .
I run premium in everything around home just due to this separating problem. "Water"

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nothing as long as electronics or fuel is adjusted for the ethanol.
Carb engines needs fuel increased . Bigger jets.
Fuel separates within a short period of time .
I run premium in everything around home just due to this separating problem. "Water"

I heard it also will corrode fuel lines on older vehicles, any truth to that?

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's hard on everything compared to non.

I see, my half ton has a flex fuel badge on the tailgate. Does that mean it has some sort of sensor in the tank that tells it when/if it needs to compensate for e85?

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Petro Can 94 at my local pumps state ethanol. Up to 10%.
Ethanol fuel an be bad if it sits for long periods of time due to phase separation.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've run nothing but shell v-power in my etec with no issues yet. How pure/fresh it is once it comes out the pump I can't say but I see no reason to change.

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not a expert on fuels but I "Think" the top tier fuel designation only applies to the amount and type of detergent additive. It is also my understanding that regardless of which refinery that the Fuel comes from it has a specification that is set by the buyer. This specification is for cleanliness and performance criteria. As with any thing we do its easier and cheaper to loosen up on quality control.
Costco is a top tier fuel supplier.

Top Tier Gasoline

With a few exceptions (PetroCan and some no-names) premium fuel, at least in Alberta, is ethanol free. Shell is for sure, at least for now. If in doubt use a simple test like kidder's^^

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Crap your right Jr this is right of the Petro Can website
Does Ultra 94 contain ethanol? Does Petro-Canada still offer an ethanol-free gasoline?
Ultra 94 contains ethanol. Due to the fact that various fuel grades are blended at the point of sale, most grades of Petro-Canada fuel may now contain up to 10% ethanol. This represents a change from the previous state, where premium fuel was ethanol-free at Petro-Canada.

YamaDad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what a Shell dealer told me, Shell 91 never has ethanol. Petro Can blends at the station so you must ask the manager. Esso I don't know about. Everyone else buys from someone, you need to find out who.

Petro can 94 is loaded with ethanol and should not be used in anything boosted.

Ethanol does not burn like gasoline and is like having a dead spot in your gas. There is more to it than just octane rating. Sorry I can't get more technical.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom