Best Buy Return Policy

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BEST BUY, MY FOOT

Best Buy has some bad policies....

Normally, I would not share this with others, however, since this could happen to you or your friends , I decided to share it. If you purchase something from, Wal-Mart, Sears etc. and you return the item with the receipt they will give you your money back if you paid cash, or credit your account if paid by plastic.

Well, I purchased a GPS for my car, a Tom Tom XL.S from 'Best Buy'. They have a policy that it must be returned within 14 days for a refund!

So after 4 days I returned it in the original box with all the items in the box, with paper work and cords all wrapped in the plastic. Just as I received it, including the receipt.

I explained to the lady at the return desk I did not like the way it could not find store names. The lady at the refund desk said, there is a 15% restock fee, for items returned. I said no one told me that. I said how much would that be. She said it goes by the price of the item. It will be $45.00 Dollars for you. I said, all your going to do is walk over and place it back on the shelf then charge me $45.00 of my money for restocking? She said that's the store policy. I said if more people were aware of it they would not buy anything here! If I bought a $2000.00 computer or TV and returned it I would be charged $300.00 dollars restock fee? She said yes, 15%.

I said OK, just give me my money minus the restock fee.

She said, since the item is over $200.00 dollars, she can't give me my money back!!!

Corporate has to and they will mail you a check in 7 to ten days.!! I said 'WHAT?!'

It's my money!! I paid in cash! I want to buy a different brand..Now I have to wait 7 to 10 days. She said well, our policy is on the back of your receipt.

I said, do you read the front or back of your receipt? She said well, the front! I said so do I, I want to talk to the Manager!.

So the manager comes over, I explained everything to him, and he said, well, sir they should of told you about the policy when you got the item. I said, No one, has ever told me about the check refund or restock fee, whenever I bought items from computers to TVs from Best Buy. The only thing they ever discussed was the worthless extended warranty program. He said Well, I can give you corporate phone number.

I called corporate. The guy said, well, I'm not supposed to do this but I can give you a 45.00 dollar gift card and you can use it at Best Buy. I told him if I bought something and returned it, you would charge me a restock fee on the item and then send me a check for the remaining 3 dollars. You can keep your gift card, I'm never shopping in Best Buy ever again, and if I would of been smart, I would of charged the whole thing on my credit card! Then I would of canceled the transaction.

I would of gotten all my money back including your stupid fees! He didn't say a word!

I informed him that I was going to e-mail my friends and give them a heads up on this stores policy, as they don't tell you about all the little caveats.

So please pass this on. It may save your friends from having a bad experience of shopping at Best Buy

It's true! read it for yourself!!

Best Buys return policy

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to know...I wasn't aware of this policy either as I don't make a habbit of reading the back of my reciepts....usually feel bad enough reading the front...lol. This will definitely make me think twice before buying from them for sure.

Crazed

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this. I was going to go there and buy a Christmas gift. I think i will go else where!!

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank You , one more place i will NOT go to. It has been 5 years since i steped foot in Sears. Same deal had to mail me my refund on a wipper snipper.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya it was a forward i got and didnt beleive it until i read it myself... not impressed:nono:

tredeb

Reaction score
So essentially, they don't make you aware of their return policy until you have already bought your item and received your receipt. Brutal.

as much as I hate Walmart business practice, they cannot be beat for their return policy. Canadian Tire and Staples are much the same, good return policy.

Usually if you keep on these guys, they will cave. I had to really pressure the Brick for some warranty coverage, but I finally got it.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
We had trouble at best buy too........ Bought the son a laptop for school, and apparently the motherboard has failed(they suspect). It is only 2 months old, and now we have to wait 3 to 4 weeks to have it repaired. We asked about a loaner, and they said no, however, they did suggest we buy another laptop for $2000.00 and then just return it for a refund(and i suspect minus the 15% restocking fee), when our original laptop was finished............wtf? Why can't we just return this faulty one then, and get a new computer.....what's the difference?????

give_it_all_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I luckily have only had good experiences at BestBuy so far. Even with refunds, I returned an xbox and a few other things for $700 or so and they gave back cash no problem. No restocking fee or anything, so maybe it's a store to store basis?

If you are young, the best thing to do is bring in your mom with you :p I did that with a cd player, I accidently broke it in half and they gave me a better one to replace it! Moms terrify people without even doing anything.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should of returned it at walmart, they will take back anything including stuff they dont sell and without a reciept. I have bought and returned to best buy before without any problems and always got full purchase back. Maybe I was lucky but dont think I'll shop there anymore.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i luckily have only had good experiences at bestbuy so far. Even with refunds, i returned an xbox and a few other things for $700 or so and they gave back cash no problem. No restocking fee or anything, so maybe it's a store to store basis?

ya, i've never had a bad experience there before, either.... Always got full money back on returns.... They must have very recently changed policies.................. I bought a remote antennae for sirius radio just a few weeks ago, and the sold me the wrong ones, and i was given full credit for them, no problemo.........

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have got alot of stuff from best buy, xbox, ps3. and a tv. i retured the tv 2 days later because they got the one i wanted to have in the frist place.. the tv was never taken out of the box. brang it back and i never had a restock charge. payed the difference on the tv and left. thats weird. but iam glad you posted that. ill have to look into that a little more.

its too bad they dont work of commisiton at best buy like they do at future shop. cuz that would be a wicked way to get a good deal!! throught the 15% return policy for christmas gifts at them

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's crazy, I haven't had to return anything for a few years there but last time I did it was just 100% cash back. I always pay by credit card for stuff like that, just incase.

As far as warranty goes, that's the beef with the manufacture not the store. However I bought a laptop from office depot a few years ago, 1 month or so after the CD drive failed, contacted toshiba told to take it to warranty place in edmonton, few days later fixed for free no questions asked couldn't be happier. However it did take about a YEAR to get my mail in rebate money!

Princess auto has the best return/warranty there is! Don't need to reciept they just look it up, don't care how long or anything it's been. They don't even care if the 1 year warranty has passed they STILL fixed a $700 generator, could of easily said no as it was about 1 month over.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
KVF700....you should go back to Best Buy and get all your cash. This is from Best Buy's website:

June 4, 2008:

Dear Valued Customer,

We understand that a bulk email message has recently circulated on the Internet that Best Buy charges a re-stocking fee. This information is incorrect – all our stores in Canada do not have restocking fees. Our policy has been and still is to provide convenient, hassle-free returns for our customers.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
KVF700....you should go back to Best Buy and get all your cash. This is from Best Buy's website:

June 4, 2008:

Dear Valued Customer,

We understand that a bulk email message has recently circulated on the Internet that Best Buy charges a re-stocking fee. This information is incorrect – all our stores in Canada do not have restocking fees. Our policy has been and still is to provide convenient, hassle-free returns for our customers.

o i was lucky enough not to have this bad experience.

But it says right on best Buy's return policy page there COULD be a 15% restocking fee... kinda odd.

i guess the best thing to do is get something on paper. now that i am looking at best buy canada's website i dont see any restocking thing. doesn't hurt to ask questions before you buy and be aware!!

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I just talked to my daughter's boyfriend, who works part time at best buy.... There is absolutely no 15% restocking fee on returned items.......my daughter used to work at future shop too, and future shop is owned by best buy, and she knows lots about customer service at both stores..........gauranteed there is no restocking charge!!!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best Buy and Future Shop have been changing policies on the fly. My Dad was Future Shop the other day, was at the till waiting to pay for a digital photo frame, CASH in hand. When he got to the till they told him they don;t take cash anymore. WTF!!!! I said maybe it was just at that till as they have seperate tills for cash vs cards. Dad tells me nope.....no cash accepted at any till. I have never in my life heard of a store that does not accept cash.

I prefer to support Mom and Pop type stores or more Canadian stores like Londond Drugs or C-Tire. No issues with returns and they take my cash.

Top Bottom