Belt issues on the 850

powpowpowpow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Strange how many have zero issues..and some blowin em left and right. What is so different?

KingCon

Reaction score
Don't worry!! Norona has it fully under control! Check out the post he just posted. "If You Are Having Belt Troubles Read This". Or something to that effect. What a crock of S**T! These sleds have to basically be gutted of ALL sound deadening materials, etc, etc. All the guys like Norona and the boys who haven't had ANY belt issues with these sleds. YAH RIGHT!! I guarantee with this post coming out, there are tons of problems with the 850's. I know our local dealer is pulling his hair out with belt issues, crank issues. Has been on the phone with BRP all week trying to figure this out because people are screaming.

So, if you ride in a area with a lot of regulations and "Tree Huggers" who hate sleds anyways, we just give them more gas to put on the fire to keep trying to ban sleds. BRP should be ashamed of this as a solution! Fix the problem and don't put customers in this situation of having to do this to a sled.

I know, these guys get paid by Ski Doo, but be honest about the issues! We all heard that these clutches, and sleds were ridden for how long before they released them, makes you wonder. And guys are having troubles going seven miles down a trail, not even in deep powder. I know Ski Doo isn't the only manufacturer to release something too early perhaps and have egg all over their face for years to come. I guarantee that if we all bought a new vehicle and was told to gut it like this we would tell the dealer to go to H**L! Sorry for the rant!

AP48379

Reaction score
I just did 4 days in Revi with the most snow i have ever seen! before even going out i ripped out the sound deadening material behind the clutch cover and i never had an issue. Only thing that i REALLY miss is the goggle warmer on the clutch cover...I also have to say this sled starts way better than the 800 ETEC, pull start.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
350km. 3 to 4 ft pow in Vale last ride zero issues. Performed like a champ.

Don't boot snow through the foot well into the clutch area.

fugman

Reaction score
Don't worry!! Norona has it fully under control! Check out the post he just posted. "If You Are Having Belt Troubles Read This". Or something to that effect. What a crock of S**T! These sleds have to basically be gutted of ALL sound deadening materials, etc, etc. All the guys like Norona and the boys who haven't had ANY belt issues with these sleds. YAH RIGHT!! I guarantee with this post coming out, there are tons of problems with the 850's. I know our local dealer is pulling his hair out with belt issues, crank issues. Has been on the phone with BRP all week trying to figure this out because people are screaming.

So, if you ride in a area with a lot of regulations and "Tree Huggers" who hate sleds anyways, we just give them more gas to put on the fire to keep trying to ban sleds. BRP should be ashamed of this as a solution! Fix the problem and don't put customers in this situation of having to do this to a sled.

I know, these guys get paid by Ski Doo, but be honest about the issues! We all heard that these clutches, and sleds were ridden for how long before they released them, makes you wonder. And guys are having troubles going seven miles down a trail, not even in deep powder. I know Ski Doo isn't the only manufacturer to release something too early perhaps and have egg all over their face for years to come. I guarantee that if we all bought a new vehicle and was told to gut it like this we would tell the dealer to go to H**L! Sorry for the rant!

Crank issues?? Please elaborate.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure glad I opted to pick up a left over 16 T3 174 for cheap with 3 years warranty, so brp has 3 years to get the 850 working right

sent while drinking tea's

KingCon

Reaction score
Local dealer here had two or three cranks go out last weekend. Also, had to send a guy up to help three guys get their new 850's out; being told these were electrical issues. This is coming from a guy who's wife works for our local dealer. Haven't heard particulars on what they found with the cranks. Another guy at work lost his belt after 30 miles and said it got so hot you couldn't touch for nearly an hour. Don't get me wrong, I think these are amazingly nice sleds, just sad to spend $14,000 and be told you have to do this or that to keep a belt from shelling out. I remember about 8 years ago how bad of belt problems Ski Doo had and at the Expo the reps said this is the first they had heard of it. A couple of weeks later at the Jackson Hillclimbs, they were all selling us on the next years model how they "fixed all the belt issues that they didn't know anything about a couple weeks earlier!"

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just did 4 days in Revi with the most snow i have ever seen! before even going out i ripped out the sound deadening material behind the clutch cover and i never had an issue. Only thing that i REALLY miss is the goggle warmer on the clutch cover...I also have to say this sled starts way better than the 800 ETEC, pull start.
the 800 etech started very well except in cold weather was my observation...

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can see a lot more noise deadening on these new 850's over previous years. BRP should send a secret memo to all dealers to pull this all out for the customers. I think that will solve all those belt issue's. I have or not seen first hand any crank issues or even heard of any in Alberta yet? There is nothing on BRP community about any of this. There will never be 100% engine reliability on any snowmobile engine but find it strange so many already in Wyoming?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

In all due respect, I have been taking out the foam and any sound material for years. BRP has to play the game with the emissions and sound requirements of governments (mostly the US government). I will admit there seems to be some belt problems but there are also a lot of happy customers. We only hear about all the bad examples as people love to get their rants out on the key boards and venting makes them feel better. Could things be better? Could design improve? Absolutely! And they have improved and have come a long way from the Elan's and Phazer's. I enjoy the new improvements even tho' they don't seem perfect to some of the end users.

I, for one, am a happy camper with 2 850's in the stable and no problems.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can see a lot more noise deadening on these new 850's over previous years. BRP should send a secret memo to all dealers to pull this all out for the customers. I think that will solve all those belt issue's. I have or not seen first hand any crank issues or even heard of any in Alberta yet? There is nothing on BRP community about any of this. There will never be 100% engine reliability on any snowmobile engine but find it strange so many already in Wyoming?
Yes I find that very odd as well although I have not spent any time on other forums lately

ZIG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone pulling out that big top felt on the back side of the hood?

powpowpowpow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
love BRP, but sometimes they have there head somewhere and come up with dumb ideas.
Why do the other brands come with no sound deadening material, and actually have vents on the hood for airflow? Do they not have to meet the same sound regulations?
The primary is an improved version of a P-85, why not calibrate it similar, seems they are off on arm profile and weight.
And I'm still trying to wrap my head around putting OIL on the clutch for shipping(this is beyond stupid), nobody else does that. Alot of time and negative publicity and grief towards BRP/dealers could be eliminated by just putting a plastic 5cent bag if they are that worried about shipping corrosion. Imagine if auto companies put vaseline on the steering wheel and controls for shipping to keep it shiny ...sounds stupid eh!!!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
love BRP, but sometimes they have there head somewhere and come up with dumb ideas.
Why do the other brands come with no sound deadening material, and actually have vents on the hood for airflow? Do they not have to meet the same sound regulations?
The primary is an improved version of a P-85, why not calibrate it similar, seems they are off on arm profile and weight.
And I'm still trying to wrap my head around putting OIL on the clutch for shipping(this is beyond stupid), nobody else does that. Alot of time and negative publicity and grief towards BRP/dealers could be eliminated by just putting a plastic 5cent bag if they are that worried about shipping corrosion. Imagine if auto companies put vaseline on the steering wheel and controls for shipping to keep it shiny ...sounds stupid eh!!!
They spray anti corrosion oil on metal parts because not every crate makes the journey to the dealer and is opened up and delivered to a customer. I know dealers of all brands that have 3 year olds piled up in there yards still. What do you think they will look like without that type of a preventative measure? I don't think your bag is gonna cut it.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Local dealer here had two or three cranks go out last weekend. Also, had to send a guy up to help three guys get their new 850's out; being told these were electrical issues. This is coming from a guy who's wife works for our local dealer. Haven't heard particulars on what they found with the cranks. Another guy at work lost his belt after 30 miles and said it got so hot you couldn't touch for nearly an hour. Don't get me wrong, I think these are amazingly nice sleds, just sad to spend $14,000 and be told you have to do this or that to keep a belt from shelling out. I remember about 8 years ago how bad of belt problems Ski Doo had and at the Expo the reps said this is the first they had heard of it. A couple of weeks later at the Jackson Hillclimbs, they were all selling us on the next years model how they "fixed all the belt issues that they didn't know anything about a couple weeks earlier!"

Im not surprised to hear about cranks failing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so when you trailer do you lube up the clutchs?...cmon its an absurd idea
I might consider it if I was leaving them for three years? I farm. We spray a light oil on any implement hydraulic ram shafts exposed to the elements in the fall as they sit out in the elements all winter and you get small rust spots on them over time even with the chrome like finish. It happens, trust me. Those crates sit in the sun and rain and snow and temp changes and without that stuff they will rust.

Top Bottom