Belt issues on the 850

NeilV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
250 HARD km. No easy break in and no problem. Very little belt dust. Pulled all the foam and felt and cut out the plastic on the bottom of the belt cover that blocked off the footwell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
250 HARD km. No easy break in and no problem. Very little belt dust. Pulled all the foam and felt and cut out the plastic on the bottom of the belt cover that blocked off the footwell.

Picture of the footwell mod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PUT ABOUT 60KM ON my 850 AND NOTICE THAT BELT IS DOWN ON PRIMARY CLUTCH ABOUT 1 3/4 INS. AND CLUTCHES WERE HOT TO TOUCH. NOW FROM EXPERANCE IN PAST I HAVE GEARED THE SLED DOWN 1 ON TOP GEAR. DID THIS TO MY 15 XM T3 AND MADE A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE. NOW READ THAT SOMEONE SAID TO CHANGE SEC. SPRING TO BLACK WOULD THIS HELP GET BELT TO TOP OF PRIMARY.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel like the back shift when coming down a hill and you blip the throttle to use engine braking isn't as hard or noticeable as my previous T3.

I cut the foot well piece off, removed the felt in the clutch housing and around the back of the secondary. 150km so far so good.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A good starting point is running that "valley" on the belt even with the top of the secondary sheaves. Or with the track in the air have the track just starting to roll at idle but easy to stop by pinching it with two fingers they say.
You guys setting this cold or riding a few km

Driftbuster

Reaction score
I'm having issues getting my first blown belt warrantied, they put in claim and then BRP requested BUDS report, with clutching/gearing specs. Took sled in let them grab BUDS and take pics of clutching, turns out they want pics of the internals of the clutches.... BRP is sure pissing me off with this, 70 km on that belt, pretty obvious there is an issue with the 850's clutching, so why not approve any warranty claims for belts until they can fix the root issue. $200 belt on a 17k brand new sled, I'm sure it wont break BRP to replace a couple.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know now that I think about this more it wouldn't surprise me if these engine bays were soaked so bad with oil that the clutches should be cleaned internally as well as the sheaves? The new P Drive is pretty open and if oil gets down inside the secondary it could be spun out under hard rotation? The foam in the belt area was soaked on some of them as well and could be drawn out by heat and turbulence? Anybody else think this is possible?

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know now that I think about this more it wouldn't surprise me if these engine bays were soaked so bad with oil that the clutches should be cleaned internally as well as the sheaves? The new P Drive is pretty open and if oil gets down inside the secondary it could be spun out under hard rotation? The foam in the belt area was soaked on some of them as well and could be drawn out by heat and turbulence? Anybody else think this is possible?

Impossible that was what the $800 PDI is for!!! LMFAO

When I pulled covers off sled for skid plate installation of pop rivet washers there was oil on everything.
Yes a definate possibility!
While in there I topped off the coolant jug that was 3/4 empty.

My cousin texted me last night and asked if I saw the video yet on how badly the bulk heads twist under engine load.
Said looks like his poo when he turboed it.

Anybody else hear or see this. Smarty pants maybe pulin my leg?

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just looked at the 850 on the floor with hood open at Martin's west, small puddle of oil on the belly pan like all the 850s I've seen. When installing the belly pan and can, everything was covered in oil.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It's very possible. I've had a few PDrives apart and they are as lubed up internally as externally. I've spent a fair bit of time cleaning those out as I haven't wanted to pull the rollers and have to deal with Iso.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with a good pressure washing with Hotsy on PDI if so much oil laying around?
This seems ridiculous !!

Think positive buddy, The price of oil is above 50 a bbl. Extra oil to prevent corrosion and more more oil needed to make belts. Lol

Ray509

Reaction score
Ive noticed on a few gen fours that either blew belts or didnt that the clutch cover had mud (from riding gravel roads,) amd or water, seems to be the cutout from the left footwell is located in a manner that it directs snow and water into the clutch area

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I got almost 500 km on mine this week so far still running strong . Only issue I got is hand warmers not as good as the previous year xm and no engine break by I'm not complaining lol I love this Mechine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evils33d

Reaction score
You can go to the dealer and they can increase the power going to heated grips and throttle up to 250% i think. Mine got increased by 150% during first service. Haven't tried them yet, but hope my munster finger throttle will be warmer next time.

Top Bottom