Beacon Search - Nov 8th

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I wonder if you advertise it as a "Bacon Search" next year if you'll get a better turn out?

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I decided to buy a newer "transceiver" after Saturday. My Tracker did OK but the newer ones had some features that I want. A display showing multiple signals/burials is one of them.
I realized afterwards that I had a little bluetooth pedometer on me that may have affected my Tracker. I'm looking forward to the Pieps Sport from RGM.

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I decided to buy a newer "transceiver" after Saturday. My Tracker did OK but the newer ones had some features that I want. A display showing multiple signals/burials is one of them I'm looking forward to the Pieps Sport from RGM.

As someone who rides with you, THANK YOU fndan!!!
:eek:))

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I decided to buy a newer "transceiver" after Saturday. My Tracker did OK but the newer ones had some features that I want. A display showing multiple signals/burials is one of them.
I realized afterwards that I had a little bluetooth pedometer on me that may have affected my Tracker. I'm looking forward to the Pieps Sport from RGM.
I totally forgot that the watch I was wearing had bluetooth on as well. Putting my phone in airplane mode probably didn't help much at all. Didn't have any issues with my transceiver, though.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice to put some faces to names but unfortunately I couldn't make it to BP's after. Thanks for putting this on Krista.

I too am considering upgrading my beacon to something that handles multiple burials better and the range on my Tracker 2 sucks as well as shown in the range test.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice to put some faces to names but unfortunately I couldn't make it to BP's after. Thanks for putting this on Krista.

I too am considering upgrading my beacon to something that handles multiple burials better and the range on my Tracker 2 sucks as well as shown in the range test.

Missed you at BP's! If you'd like a copy of Throttle Decisions and some stickers PM me and I can get them to ya!

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I have a question after your range tests which beacon had the best range and was quickest to locate the signals...looking to buy something new this year.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Simons arva was picked up before he even crested the hill. Most other where about 1-5m from the crest of the hill.

from my readings the arva was design by the same guys whom built the mammot beacon except they work for arva... If that makes sense.

Last edited:

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We will be range checking all the beacons in our group. Apparently the antennas can be damaged from impact with handlebars and such.
Such can be trees or trailer ramps depending on your skill level. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Simons arva was picked up before he even crested the hill. Most other where about 1-5m from the crest of the hill.

from my readings the arva was design by the same guys whom built the mammot beacon except they work for arva... If that makes sense.
Was that a new transceiver, or did it have some use on it? Tough to tell what is actually the best for range unless you are comparing all out of the box transceivers.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We will be range checking all the beacons in our group. Apparently the antennas can be damaged from impact with handlebars and such.
Such can be trees or trailer ramps depending on your skill level. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This actually made me think about where people are wearing their transceivers on their body. I know the Mammut seems to be designed to wear on your chest, however my Orthovox seems to be designed to wear on my side, under my arm. Might be better suited for sledders to wear something on the side of their body, instead of on their chest, for bar protection.

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the "under the arm, by your side" fit as it gives a bit more physical distance between it and our radios....

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the "under the arm, by your side" fit as it gives a bit more physical distance between it and our radios....

I don't think 4-8 inches will make enough difference really, Up to u though as your life when buried depends on your beacon working properly, seconds count

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing I don't like about my vest is that it puts the beacon right on your chest. I have tried wearing it underneath but feel it takes too long to get it out and then do the vest back up.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing I don't like about my vest is that it puts the beacon right on your chest. I have tried wearing it underneath but feel it takes too long to get it out and then do the vest back up.

I attached my transceiver into the front pocket of my vest. Reason I did that is because my old vest froze up on me a couple times and I wasn't able to get it off. This way if it happens I can still access my transceiver easily.

Last edited:

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think 4-8 inches will make enough difference really, Up to u though as your life when buried depends on your beacon working properly, seconds count
At least 12 inches away is what you should be aiming for, so 4-8 inches could make a difference. If my radio is in my upper right pocket, and my transceiver is down on my left side under my arm, easily puts it a foot away.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking, it would be easy to test it out to make sure before using! And i'm not sure all beacons are the same. Maybe placing beacon cellphone, radio, camera etc together and seeing if all in the group pick you up would be a reasonable test

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking, it would be easy to test it out to make sure before using! And i'm not sure all beacons are the same. Maybe placing beacon cellphone, radio, camera etc together and seeing if all in the group pick you up would be a reasonable test

Cellphone's should be off at all times if they are anywhere near your transceiver. Even airplane mode effects the transceiver. We tested this at last years transceiver search

Top Bottom