BC Winter Rated Tire Legislation Question

clintonk

Reaction score
I was at a tire store the other day, shopping for new tires for my diesel truck. He mentioned that if I was planning on driving through the passes in BC, that I will need a winter rated tire, otherwise the police will ticket me. Now is this true, that there is a recent pass of legislation on this? Does this apply to BC residence only? Just wondering what kind of tires I need to buy if I am driving through the mtns to go sledding.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know last year when i was driving to the ciast they had signage anywhere you would travel high in the passes that stated you must have either winter tires or tire chains to travel that route.
so what they mean by a winter rated tire i think is an actual winter tire all seasons wont do it.
imo they are awesome if you can afford to have 2 sets of tires. all seasons just don't cut it when the temp falls below -0 winter tires rock.

clintonk

Reaction score
Well tire companies are starting to make an all season tire that is winter rated like this one:

They are changing the compound so that it complies with winter tire qualifications. The only bad thing is that I'm sure it will wear faster in the summer time.

So I am just wondering if someone can clarify if this BC regulation exists, as I can't find much on the net. I would like to get it clarified before I purchase a new set of tires.

Thanks

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about All Terrain tires, I just bought NITRO Tera Grapplers (285-75 R17)for the Dodge because they are good in the winter. Will I get a ticket if I go over the pass toward Revy with them this year? Does this mean I have to carry tire chains this winter??? :confused:

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MY parents live over in BC. Last year that is what my Ole Man told me. If the tires dont have a snowflake on the side you need to be carrying chains.

The Arborist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't say for sure if the boys will give you a ticket or not, but if you were in an accident I would guess the insurance company would love to see all seasons on your rig!!

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought those signs said for all trucks must have winter tires or tire chains, could be wrong.

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a set of Dunlop Rover M/T Maxx Traction 285/70 17's they have a load range D and have the snowflake on them. Not as aggressive as what I normally get bet better than strait M/T's

Attachments

• du_rover_mt_mxt_ci2_l.jpg
    du_rover_mt_mxt_ci2_l.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 274

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cheapies?

Canadian Tire

Don't be cheap go to a place that makes chains for skidders, trucks etc.
You tell them youre tire size and they will usually stock or make you a good solid v bar set that is perfect fit. When I buy chains a good heavy duty set is around $150. I don't know if alberta has a store called Morfco?

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tire chains are to get you out of trouble or to a safe haven, not to keep you rippin down the hwy at a buck 10. Personally i would go with winter rated tires.. have a chain explode at 60km and tell me how much damage it does

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Safety equipment
208 (1) For the purpose of this section, "winter tire" means a tire that is

(a) advertised or represented by its manufacturer or a person in the business of selling tires to be a tire intended principally for winter use, and that provides, or is designed to provide, adequate traction in snow or mud; and

(b) in the condition respecting tread wear and other particulars the regulations prescribe.

(2) The minister responsible for the administration of the Transportation Act may, by public notice or by placing signs, prohibit vehicles from being driven or operated on a highway that are not equipped with chains, winter tires or sanding devices, or a combination of these the minister considers adequate and necessary in view of prevailing road conditions.

(3) For the purposes of a prosecution under this section, the onus is on the defendant to prove that a tire alleged not to be a winter tire is in fact a winter tire.

Hmm, almost sounds like a loophole where a snow and mud tire would be acceptable. The act doesn't mention anything about needing a "snow flake" brand.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Rumor has it and I don't know for sure because I haven't "been there, done that" yet, but ICBC will void insurance if one does not have "winter tires" in the signed areas from Oct 15 to April 15 (I'm not sure of the dates and the signs aren't up yet, so can't just run down and check!). The other option is to 'carry chains'. The ICBC thing won't affect our fine, eastern neighbours but a grumpy cop without their donut quota may be ugly. There is no mention of 4x4 use.

I use A/T or A/S and I carry chains. Chains are way cheaper (neighbourhood of $160) than another set of tires and any reputable tire shop would have good chains. I got mine from Kal Tire for $175 (including tax) and keep them year round in a small plastic rubbermaid wash basin under the back seat. That way, if and when I use them, they won't get the carpet muddy nor rusty.

Hope this helps.....:beer:

barrone

Reaction score
Nothing worsethan a cheap set of chains that break and run around your paint a couple times and rip stuff off(brake lines, trim mudflaps etc)
I love my winter tires, for that occasional unexpected black ice. I have 2 sets of tires, mud tires and winter tires(35"). A bit extra cash outlay, but when I go sledding, I do not run with chains for 300 to 400 km, unless I need to. If you are only going 50k, chain are great. The way I look at it, I will wear out 2 sets of tires on my truck regardless, may as well pay now.
The only bad thing about great ice tires is everyone who has shtty tires thinks your a jack ss when you pass them, even though you are in better control than they are. hehe

Top Bottom