BC says NO to Enbridge.

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its all about money. Always has been and will be. There are already two pipelines running through jasper/ Mt. Robson Park. One of which is 50yrs old! I am aware of the damage done when breaks/ spills occur, but rather then object to its existence, focus on implementing more and better safety standards to minimize this. Double the amount of block valves; Insist on manned stations rather then remote sites; upsize pipe thickness; insist on daily visual inspections........All of which would allow some BC workers opportunity to leave their rotational shifts in the oilsands to be home at night. With the money spent to date on this line and review process, these additional measures would have already paid for themselves twice! Lets also make it easier for the average worker who spends ten to twelve hours a day at work in the oilfield weigh in on the decision making rather then holding hearings at 10Am on a Wednesday when only unemployed and students can attend. I can apply for a mortgage online from my iphone, I should be able to give my opinion concerning our country's resources. Fully aware everyone has an opinion, this is mine.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its all about money. Always has been and will be. There are already two pipelines running through jasper/ Mt. Robson Park. One of which is 50yrs old! I am aware of the damage done when breaks/ spills occur, but rather then object to its existence, focus on implementing more and better safety standards to minimize this. Double the amount of block valves; Insist on manned stations rather then remote sites; upsize pipe thickness; insist on daily visual inspections........All of which would allow some BC workers opportunity to leave their rotational shifts in the oilsands to be home at night. With the money spent to date on this line and review process, these additional measures would have already paid for themselves twice! Lets also make it easier for the average worker who spends ten to twelve hours a day at work in the oilfield weigh in on the decision making rather then holding hearings at 10Am on a Wednesday when only unemployed and students can attend. I can apply for a mortgage online from my iphone, I should be able to give my opinion concerning our country's resources. Fully aware everyone has an opinion, this is mine.
2 thoughts come to mind real quick with regards to your post, 1st the lines through Jasper and Mt Robson pale in comparison to the severity of country Enbridge wants to go through, 2nd, super tankers to Kitimat, really? I am not opposed to pipelines, but I am totally against the Enbridge proposal, far far to many problems.

Chunk

Reaction score
They said no to this specific proposal. Also, Feds have final say. There will be a pipeline at some point.

CJR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They said no to this specific proposal. Also, Feds have final say. There will be a pipeline at some point.

I agree. Rather then totally oppose it, give them an option that would have them increase their safety, monitoring and emergency response while creating employment for the province.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree. Rather then totally oppose it, give them an option that would have them increase their safety, monitoring and emergency response while creating employment for the province.
I appreciate that you may be the first person from Alberta that understands what the average BC resident wants from this pipeline. All the useless hippies just say no but what the actual contributing population wants to see is a real benefit and not just an environmental catastrophe waiting to happen. This initial proposal leaves us with virtually no economic benefit and all the environmental risk. This pipeline has the opportunity to set the benchmark for what safe oil transportation looks like. Seeing as it is travelling through some of the most pristine and valuable environment on earth I hope they step up and show that oil pipelines don't have to be viewed negatively.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I appreciate that you may be the first person from Alberta that understands what the average BC resident wants from this pipeline. All the useless hippies just say no but what the actual contributing population wants to see is a real benefit and not just an environmental catastrophe waiting to happen. This initial proposal leaves us with virtually no economic benefit and all the environmental risk. This pipeline has the opportunity to set the benchmark for what safe oil transportation looks like. Seeing as it is travelling through some of the most pristine and valuable environment on earth I hope they step up and show that oil pipelines don't have to be viewed negatively.
Wow a full time BC resident without the stereotypical anti pipeline mentality, there is a positive to setting a better standard and that's the goal in all parts of our industry, everyday the industry looks into better practices but with a pivotal project like this it may fast track the development of such ideas when putting forth the new plans. Nobody wants catastrophic failures or environmental damages although the media has many thinking those of us in the industry are all for rape and pillage, collect the cash, we all want better and safer practices that will ensure a long term future for our industry, friends and families, as well as our country and therefore projects like this are high on our priority as they open our markets and the opportunity for stability and sustainability for all, the key is definitely doing it safe and responsibly though, I hope to see this project go soon for the exact reason. Willy flame away, it's entertaining

Reactions: CJR

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there would be less opposition to the pipeline if they were shipping a refined product....its easier to clean up if a spill occurs...raw crude is nasty stuff...the people up north saw the results when that pipe failed near Chetwynd and polluted the pine river...Enbridge has such a bad track record with spills and clean-up....

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
40 odd years ago they built a huge pipeline from the North Slope Alaska where I am presently to Valdez Ak which also went through thousands of miles of pristine super sensitive country. To the point where they couldn't bury much of it due to the oil being over 80C and the ground having permafrost. They built it also over a couple of the largest mountain ranges in NA.
If Enbridge can successfully build and maintain it with minimal environmental impact in the same way that the Alaskan Pipeline was built, with modern tech and safety features, I see no reason they shouldn't so long as they spend the money to do it right.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I think there would be less opposition to the pipeline if they were shipping a refined product....its easier to clean up if a spill occurs...raw crude is nasty stuff...the people up north saw the results when that pipe failed near Chetwynd and polluted the pine river...Enbridge has such a bad track record with spills and clean-up....

Raw crude after going through treatment to get dry oil is actually better than a refined product. Produced water is the real damage causer. Crude after the bacteria breaks it down, actually acts like a fertilizer a year later. Anyone working in the patch can testify to that. And the whole oil sands polluting the Athabaskan river is a joke, look at the banks of the river itself, and one can see the layers of soil containing bitumen in the soil itself that the river flows through. Just a big political scam really.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
40 odd years ago they built a huge pipeline from the North Slope Alaska where I am presently to Valdez Ak which also went through thousands of miles of pristine super sensitive country. To the point where they couldn't bury much of it due to the oil being over 80C and the ground having permafrost. They built it also over a couple of the largest mountain ranges in NA.
If Enbridge can successfully build and maintain it with minimal environmental impact in the same way that the Alaskan Pipeline was built, with modern tech and safety features, I see no reason they shouldn't so long as they spend the money to do it right.

Is that BP's Alaskan pipeline that your talking about? Its had some big spills,,, ie Prudhoe Bay oil spill.

Same pipeline or no?

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No not the mainline that spilled. One of it's main supply lines.
Considering the pipeline was only built to last 25 years, it's held up well.

Last edited:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we should just build refineries here in alberta and stop provincial equalization payments immediately in months they will build the pipe lines for us
sounds good to me.

Top Bottom