Banged and busted

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you and how bad have you been busted and banged up sledding.
Did it change your riding style?
Did ya think your life was a goner?

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In February 2005 I was jumping some hills around home, crashed and landed on my shoulder. After the swelling initially went down, all seemed to be ok, then on the odd occasion, my shoulder would pop out. Normally it would go back in on its own, but gradually got worse and worse until the second last time when it took about 30 minutes to go back in, and the last time when I had to go to the emergency where the doctor gave me some "mind altering drugs" so that I would forget the pain while he wrenched it back into place (I know this because tekims wife was there and reminded me about how painful it was).

I had to change my riding style a little, because when you get into those situations when you need to reef on the sled to get it to carve the right way, or away from a tree, I didn't want it to pop out again, and end up in the rhubarb (READ: I'VE BEEN DRIVING LIKE A "LITTLE KITTY" FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS).

This spring I finally got arthroscopic shoulder surgery to repair / replace the tendons which are supposed to keep my shoulder from popping out. I'm in rehab right now, so I am hoping that by the time sledding season rolls around this fall / winter, all will be better, and I'll have to find a new excuse for my lack of performance :D

tekim :cool:

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Growing up to extreme videos like slednecks and Nitro Circus, I quickly drew a line to where my limits would be in riding in order be able to ride for the better part of my lifetime. Even so, accidents and crashes are a large part of the sport and I've had my share of tumbles or throws over the handlebars. Lucky for me, I'm still in my 20's and like that Stretch Armstrong doll, for the most part, things move back into their original position fairly quick.

As for my riding style.. Well I'm still learning a lot about what I can do, but I think because I've been on some form of motorized vehicle since i was three, I've gotten a feel for where the line is to be drawn and I don't go overboard just for that adrenaline rush.

I'vegotthenutz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I pulled a climb somewhere in clemina (can't remember what it was called) and I went right up and over. I couldn't believe it. I totalled my summit and banged up my left side really good (rolled into some rocks), when I realized I shot off the top I just closed my eyes and prayed. There was a guy from alpine country rentals that I had met at the cabin that rode me down..thanx for that.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Fortunatley I haven't been busted up too bad on a sled aside from a seperated shoulder and sprained wrists. Nothing that has changed my riding style on a sled. I have had a few bad wrecks on my dirtbikes, quads and dunebuggy that really changed my riding style. Once I broke my back in 4 places and shattered my left ankle and had to walk/crawl for 3 kms out of the bush to get help. It took 8 months to be able to do the simple things I could do before the accident including work and another 2 years for the pain to go away. That changed my riding style big time. Rode like a pussy for 3 seasons. I went from a Pro to a Joe In 2 seconds. All good now though. I know where the line is drawn for my abilities and try to always ride on it but never cross it. Sometimes though that line jumps right out infront of a guy with no warning and your forced to cross it, thats part of the sport and thats where the adrenaline comes from. Stay safe.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
.......(Banged and Busted).... Use to have that problem lots years ago when one was young and on the run ! :specool::bandance::PDT_bud::alarm::spot::tazz::cigar:

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my 21st b-day my brother wheeled across an approche north of boyle in the hwy ditch and smashed into a drainage ditch. His sled (94 XLT sks mint) looked like a bananna and he broke his femur in half. After a week or so in the hospital and a 18" titanium rod in his leg he was good to go home and sit out of commission for a long time. Since then i have never really enjoyed ditch bangin and thats what we grew up riding.

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Broken hip and pelvis Dec. 2006.

Ditch bagin came over an approach a caught a rock, put me out of commission for a long time after they re-built my hip joint with two inch screws and steel strapping.

But on the bright side I used to think I wasinvinsible, but I guess I found my one week spot, now that it is steel....back to invisibility!!!

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Broken hip and pelvis Dec. 2006.

Ditch bagin came over an approach a caught a rock, put me out of commission for a long time after they re-built my hip joint with two inch screws and steel strapping.

But on the bright side I used to think I wasinvinsible, but I guess I found my one week spot, now that it is steel....back to invisibility!!!

If you're invisible, it's no wonder things keep running into you. :)

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in April of '04 a group of my friends and I were as far back in the Hasler area as I had ever been when my stator decided to pack it in. pretty much hand bombed it out of the first range, and I climbed on the back of another buddy's sled for the ride to the next range.

for some reason he decides to try to jump a creek in the meadow that was about 40-50 feet across with 2 of us on his Summit. we crashed....hard. I was hitting him in the ribs as we approached it telling him to slow down, and when we got airborne I remember thinking "you SOB, if I'm getting off, so are you..." I held onto him around his armpits with everything I had as my legs were in the "superman" behind me, and airbagged him as we hit the bank on the far side.

I broke my sternum, tore cartlidge, and fractured 4 ribs (exactly in the spot where my beacon was). his foot was locked in the footwell and when we hit he broke his ankle badly.

it took almost 6 months before it didn't hurt to cough, laugh, or lay down flat in bed. I will never forgive him for his stupidity, and no longer ride or even associate with him. I've had some bad get-offs, but nothing sticks in my craw like this crash did. I shoulda took my chances jumping off before we hit....

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few years back we were riding back to town on the McLeod river after an aborted ride to Silver Summit. Cruising along at 70 or 80 clicks and I hit some frozen quad ruts, endoed the sled a couple of times and either came down on my head or got hit in the melon by the sled but the next thing I new Brew_doos wife was there in the truck and we were going to the hospital.....Apparently I didn't know where we were going or three of the guys we were riding with....Nasty concussion, wasn't back to normal for a couple of weeks(some folks say I've never been normal) Scary chit. Slowed me down a bit the next season. My neck still bothers me a bit when I wear a helmet all day.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well lets see, two broken legs, 4 broken ribs, dislocated shoulder, seperated wrist oh and one HELL of nice mountain view. Then there is always the cliff hanger move that was the one that made me question what the HELL i was doing, pretty sure I saw the pretty WHITE LIGHT:eek:

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I have always been a ( lets try that one more time except this time faster) kind of guy. Well four concussions later and yes i am a little different guy. I don't ride as hard but i still have my moments of glory. A torn chest and rotator cuff that always seems to hurt an a right knee that acts more like a weather station that a appendage. So my new way of doing things is if i say one more time i usually just hang back.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had lots of crashes, lucky, nothing broken, but lots of pain. Came near to tearing the left foot off at 85+, got stuck in foot well, pos ski's caught a rut and I didn't fall off sled, pain, doc said knee replacement, I said kmass, still hurts put I can walk. Never had to cut my arm off like that mtn. climber awhile back but i can relate, live or die, PONY UP COWBOY. You'll die if you give up.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This year i was going up the trail to clemina and a few of the guys i was with decided it was a drag for the first 3 km. We come up the wide highway like portion of the trail at the beggining doing 120 km ish and come to the top of a hill. My one buddy went by me and sprayed snow and ice at me so i ducked my head a bit and when i looked up he was launching off a whoop over the groomer bank. There is apparently a 90 degree turn there even though it looks straight. I came off it right behind him but i tapped the brake and when i launched out of the whoops i did a complete endo over the handlebars. It was about a 10 to 15 foot drop. The sled run me over at easily 100+ km. End result a concussion, a broken piece of cartiledge in my right(good knee)knee, bruised tailbone, and broken backpack strap. My sled rode it out didn't flip because my head and body stopped it. My buddy however did't ride anymore that weekend and mildly re broke his back. I toughed it for 3 more days after that but now with my right knee hurt and 2 torn ligaments and a broken miniscus in my left knee already from 3 years ago i have to sit alot more which i really don't like, i always stand. Looking like surgery after next riding season and for months off work to repair both my knees. Feeling old at 23 lol:D:p

Top Bottom