Backcountry Sledders make CBC News....Again

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think education is definitely the key here: getting ALL backcountry sledders on the same page. We all need to be proactive and responsible when it comes to avalanche training. We only have one life.....let's live it the best and safest way we can!

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How the he!! do they always turn the story around to make us look bad???? Correct me if I am wrong but don't the skier fatalities outnumber the sledders?Not that it is a competition but the reporter clearly points to sledder numbers, Biased reporting pi$$es me off.Gotta outside and scream now.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW...what a twist!! They start the story out talking about 2 Heli Skiers that were lost in an avy and then quickly made it a story about reckless snowmobilers...go figure. This years stats would show much differently. A death is horrible no matter what user group it is, but please...enough already!!

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How the he!! do they always turn the story around to make us look bad???? Correct me if I am wrong but don't the skier fatalities outnumber the sledders?Not that it is a competition but the reporter clearly points to sledder numbers, Biased reporting pi$$es me off.Gotta outside and scream now.

Yup. I agree. While I do like the idea of the story of getting all sledders on the same page....somehow it ALWAYS gets turned around to make us all look bad. I guess nothing will change, we will always be looked at negatively in the public eye. :(

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. I agree. While I do like the idea of the story of getting all sledders on the same page....somehow it ALWAYS gets turned around to make us all look bad. I guess nothing will change, we will always be looked at negatively in the public eye. :(

No different then the Quadders................we all get a bad rap for being pigs, and leaving unsightly messes in gods country in the spring to fall months !!! Little do they know alot of us cart out more garbage then we came with, clean up sites of mess left by others..............

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
who are those idiots! and why are they speaking for me on tv! idiotic!!!!!

the risk is worth the fun? WTF OVER?! you couldnt pick someone with half a braincell to come up with something more intelligent than that? WOW! basically he just said i will die but its fun. how about i believe there is no risk with the proper education and common sense on the hill regardless of avalanche conditions.

im gona blow a gasket.

doug washer? who are you and why are you on tv? please stop talking!

the very first thing they say is 3 skiers killed over the weekend. then go into sledding and how its so dangerous. then they say how skiers have been taking the hardest hit this year and then go on to dangerous sledding again.

unreal!

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Typical CBC. I'm really not surprised. We subsidize them to produce crap like that.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
People will never understand why we love it so much,,,they dont ride and probably never will..They all assume that EVERY sledder goes 100mph straight up and doesnt care what happens...Its all about education and understanding...And ya Pipes...that dude isnt helping much by what he said eh?

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take it for what it's worth. Obviously these interviewers know nothing or care to know nothing about the sport that we all live & breathe!!! Mountains come with that spectacular thrill & adventure & mother nature does not choose who she takes. Sledders / Skiers / Hikers / Wildlife "Caribou", we / they are all a part of what they call "THE BACKCOUNTRY"!!! Did someone tell them this, maybe we should stop Hockey in Canada as well, Really Please

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
People will never understand why we love it so much,,,they dont ride and probably never will..They all assume that EVERY sledder goes 100mph straight up and doesnt care what happens...Its all about education and understanding...And ya Pipes...that dude isnt helping much by what he said eh?

First reaction is to say.. "unbelieveable" but if you look at the general pop verbal dialogue.. I guess we can come to expect it. Some people join the band wagon, not for educational or safety sake, but for the "I told you so " factor.

Something needs to change.. and we need to be the ones doing it. I am tired of being on the defensive when I responsibly enjoy an activity that flows through my every vein. I am NOT in the wrong and some sort of an adrenaline Junky, throwing caution to the wind, taking my life for granted.

Something needs to change.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I think education is definitely the key here: getting ALL backcountry sledders on the same page. We all need to be proactive and responsible when it comes to avalanche training. We only have one life.....let's live it the best and safest way we can!

the risk is worth the fun? WTF OVER?! you couldnt pick someone with half a braincell to come up with something more intelligent than that? WOW! basically he just said i will die but its fun. how about i believe there is no risk with the proper education and common sense on the hill regardless of avalanche conditions.

im gona blow a gasket.

the very first thing they say is 3 skiers killed over the weekend. then go into sledding and how its so dangerous. then they say how skiers have been taking the hardest hit this year and then go on to dangerous sledding again.

unreal!

Agreed

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

im gona blow a gasket.

unreal!

Here is an answer to your question on who Doug Washer is:

Snowmobile Safety Squamish.mov - YouTube!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They probably had two or three others that did sound coherent but that doesn't play as well on the news. They need a soundbite that catches people's attention and idiots are good for that.

sad thing is you are probably absolutely correct. probably some decent interviews but they don't sound as badass as " the risk is worth the fun...duhhhh err"

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why everyone is so wound up. That didn't seem negative to me. Perhaps folks are getting a bit sensitive. The only thing the reporter said is that there is an attitude out there that sledders get what they deserve if they venture out, That is true, that attitude IS out there, it's bullchit but it is out there.

Top Bottom