B.C. Gov wants new regs

mcridge

Reaction score
Just read it online tonight. The B.C. government is thinking about imposing some sort of Insurance/liscensing in response to Saturdays incident.
How is this going to help?

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just read it online tonight. The B.C. government is thinking about imposing some sort of Insurance/liscensing in response to Saturdays incident.

adds money to certain area's for what ever they see fit

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
THIS THREAD IS OVER
WHAT ABOUT THE HAITAI MISSISSION\

RON

SHUT THIS CRAP DOWNNNNNNN!

I am still hear trying to sort this mayham out!

ENOUGH.. WE will give all the facts when we are done.

Please respect us US TRYING TO CLEAN UPall the carnage..

Come on all you moderators..... use judgement...

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH...I am still hear and will give the facts as they arise...

I thought this was supposed to be a responsible site..

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The B.C. government want to insure and liscense the sport because all their thinking about is who's going to pay for the rescue event and future events.

mcridge

Reaction score
Wow,

Sorry I offended you Kimrick. I did not think this was a unrespectful post that dealt with snowmobile issues.

Captain-sno

Reaction score

It has nothing to do with Saturday directly. These changes where first rumored last summer and announced in November. It was published in a couple Canadian magazines including a sledding magazine.

I have pointed this out to the press, as they keep reporting it this way.

here is the link for the website:

Notice the bottom (last update November 10th 2009)

and here is the press release: (also November 10th 2009)

The Media reported that is was a result of the Saturday situation but the mention of it by the Government after the avalanche was to let them know that these changes where coming. Once again...twisted by the media because they did not understand what was said.

SLEDHEAD 900RMK

Reaction score
Hey Captain-sno. Good to see the info on new rules. :cool: And to know that the past tragedies is not due to the changes. I myself didn't know that this was what was going to happen in the future. And this is not a bad thing to have. As we both take our young children out to play, but we keep them as safe as possible, and read all condition before our group heads out. And we make a decission were it is the safest to ride. Again thanks to the INFO. And pointing out the post from BC goverment.:d

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
THIS THREAD IS OVER
WHAT ABOUT THE HAITAI MISSISSION\

RON

SHUT THIS CRAP DOWNNNNNNN!

I am still hear trying to sort this mayham out!

ENOUGH.. WE will give all the facts when we are done.

Please respect us US TRYING TO CLEAN UPall the carnage..

Come on all you moderators..... use judgement...

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH...I am still hear and will give the facts as they arise...

I thought this was supposed to be a responsible site..

My judgement is that these people have a right to voice an open opinion in an open forum so long as none of the forum rules are broken.
How responsible would this site look if we judged everyones opinions and ideals and only let the posts we as moderators thought were acceptable.. I believe in my heart that most snowandmud members are considerate and compassionate about these recent events in Revy and these outcropping threads mean no disrespect to the dead or the clean up of carnage. Thats my two bits. Sorry if I offended anyone.

mcridge

Reaction score
I read these links, and unfortunately do not see how any of this will help to bring a safer snowmobile environment to anyone. It sounds like a government cash grab to me.
I am not one to push more regulation in the backcountry, as it should be all of our responsibility's to look after ourselves out there. But if the government were going to do just one thing, i can't see alot of harm in implementing a mandatory avalanche awareness course for all if you have not done one.
This may seem a bit excessive to some, but its the only thing out there that may save a few lives.
A snowmobile license or insurance will not save a life unless avalanche awareness is included.

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The way i look at it, its law to wear a helmet. I dont think it would be such a bad idea at all to be law to have an ast 1 to ride the back country, the education factor alone may save manyy lives and prevent many incidents. It wouldnt be that hard to police, if you dont have an ast 1 you dont buy a trail pass... just a thought

sledneckx69

Reaction score
The funny thing is..... that most people caught in slides have avy training and the most advanced avy gear available. Its been my experience that the more prepared riders are, the more likely they are to get them selves into trouble.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The way i look at it, its law to wear a helmet. I dont think it would be such a bad idea at all to be law to have an ast 1 to ride the back country, the education factor alone may save manyy lives and prevent many incidents. It wouldnt be that hard to police, if you dont have an ast 1 you dont buy a trail pass... just a thought

There are a lot of places to ride where there are no avalanches. Why should they require an AST1 to buy a trail pass. And you will put the onus on the trail pass vendors???? They take enough static already from would be members that try to "get in free", etc.....

mcridge

Reaction score
I agree with the last post 100%. I don't think that it can be a enforceable law. Private snowmoibile clubs can't be enforcing government regs.
So who will enforce any of the proposed legislation? Or does this turn into a paper pushers wet dream and turn out like another gun registry?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

good idea but only useful for the high traffic areas. what about us guys who dont ride where trail pass's are sold lol :)

Top Bottom