B.C. backcountry snowmobile ban

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have to say that sledders need to get more educated, and mountain savvy. I have been sledding for 15 + yrs in the mountains and have seen our sport evolve from sleds that would never make it into the places that we see sleds go now. Turbo sleds are making it easier and easier to reach all the highest places imaginable, and it seems that more and more inexperienced guys are riding these high powered machines without a second thought to the dangers out there. I believe there needs to be some sort of standard set in place....like a mandatory AST level 1 course at a MINIMUM.

This year I witnessed some VERY unsafe chit going on out there (more than any other year) and also a lot of recklessness like leaving behind whole sleds out in the mtns after crashing them, leaving blown tracks, and other garbage left behind. That Clemina Avalanche Video pretty much explains the stupidity that goes on out there. Sledding in closed areas is another big no-no, even thought we may not agree with the closures they are in place for a reason. These guys that are sledding in the closed areas for that untouched powder may not realize that they will get ALL the areas taken away if they continue doing it. There needs to be more sledders that are on the same page here.

Take an avalanche course, join your local club, be an ambassador for your sport, and even though some may not like it, they need to be told once in awhile what they're doing wrong

I couldn't agree with you more.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere, on average, there are about 2000 people using the backcountry on any given winter day.
That said, I would guess 75% of that are Sledders. I am not talking the resort skiers, but back country skiers, snowshoers, and sledders.
We probably outnumber the rest of the other types combined, 4X....

It is inevitable that we are going to see accidents happen. We have to get the massage out to the public that we are a responsible group, BUT back it up also, which will take some working on.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing our friend Mikey has hoped we've all forgotten about his record with avalanche deaths, thought I'd dig this one up.
Heli-skiing takes off - CBC Archives

As well here are a few other notables worth mentioning,check out the FAQ(have you ever had a fatality?)

CMH Heli-Skiing Q & A

And I really enjoyed this article , especially the quote from one heli-skier, i posted the quote, for the full read here's the link.

Helicopter skiers expect virgin powder, endless runs and - 01.14.91 - SI Vault

Quote" later introduced to me as Angelika Voelkel, a doctor from Denver. She had taken off her skis to walk up to the picnic spot and had taken one step on a snow bridge, which promptly broke, causing her to fall into a fissure up to her shoulders. It took several burly men to pull her out.

"Last year I skied off a little ridge and had to scale a 20-foot cliff to get back to my group," she told me, apparently none the worse for wear. "When you come helicopter skiing, I'll tell you one thing. You'd better be prepared to die."end Quote.

It's unfortunate all the publicity is being aimed at the sled community, but it's a given that we will have the most deaths for many reasons,the steadily increasing numbers of sledders, the numbers of inexperienced sledders heading to the mountains, machines capable of putting the most skilled riders into places and situations they shouldn't be in, poor judgement, attitude ( the I'll do what I want, it'll never happen to me,etc.) the lack of basic knowledge in reading and understanding the snowpack and avalanche hazard, failing to heed the obvious signs, I could go on. It's up to us as sledders to educate ourselves and use that knowledge to play safe and live to ride another day. We love you Mikey, your so predictable, trying to rid the universe of all those who dare to ride the snow you think you have exclusive rights to!!

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow...good little piece of info!! Wiegele doesn't even look like he has the slightest bit of emotion for what had happened! It's funny how one has a different outlook when the tables are turned...

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is an article that I stumbled across, saying that we sled at night and ride practically anywhere we want. It also says that calls were not returned from the BCSF.

Is the BCSF on board with this, or are they going to let Wiegele do his own thing?

So far I haven't heard any actions or comments from BCSF.... No wonder he has so much DOMINANCE!!!! .:mad::mad::mad::mad:

look at all the little red lines on this pic.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
The BCSF was attending the CAA`s AGM all last wk. in Penticton. That may be why calls were not returned. Ironically the meeting on Tues. evening that was with snowmobile Fed./Assoc., clubs and manufacturers was about how to educate snowmobilers about avalanches when this story hit the news here in B.C. I understand this issue was discussed in length. Try to be patient.
CHBC news showed Global`s story and then reported that Mr. Weigle was getting hate mail. What did you guys think of the footage in Global`s story?
Do these guys represent all the clubs in that area?

Last edited:

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Association of British Columbia Snowmobile Clubs has posted this on their website.

I know the folks from ABCSC have been in discussions regarding the recent media attacks on snowmobiling with the powers that be, and I believe they are putting their efforts towards education and solving the issues instead of a continued battle in the media.

Good on ya ABC !

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i totally agree with all of it and think it is written very well. now for the next step, and i may have missed it, but has that been anywheres in the media, or just posted on the site? the average joe who has formed his opinion of sledding isn't likely to stumble upon that, we need to get that message out there!

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i totally agree with all of it and think it is written very well. now for the next step, and i may have missed it, but has that been anywheres in the media, or just posted on the site? the average joe who has formed his opinion of sledding isn't likely to stumble upon that, we need to get that message out there!

Exactly! It is very well worded and has many many great points.... BUT--
One side has their word plastered on the national media, and the other has it on their website, that even I was unaware of.

Guess it is kinda late, like 2 weeks late. Wiegele wins again unfortunately.:rant::confused::(:mad:

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
I don`t think he won Mark. Sounds more like he shot himself in the foot. ;)
No one commented on the footage that was used in Global`s story :confused: no one see it? They showed clips like the Clemina near miss and the BIS 2006. We are always portrayed as a bunch of rednecks. :mad: How come you never hear about the good things snowmobilers do?
I hear the ASA also attended the CAC AGM meetings and with all the others are all trying to find a way to educate snowmobilers about avy`s with "the powers that be".
I know that in this area MoTCA (used to be MoSTA) and the CAC are working with the club and society to produce signs for Boulder and Frisby staging areas rating the terrain for avy`s.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are right PP, I dont think he won either.

Our provincal clubs, MOTCA, CAA and local clubs are all working hard on this issue. It may not be as public as Wiegle's approach, but we will make progress and it will be noticed. We are working on some unique ideas for this area next season.

Please guys, we may not be as vocal, but there are folks working very hard for our cause. Please keep positive as we keep chuggin along.
c

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Expect Wiegle to go for the Sledders throat while he can. At $15,000.00 per skier per week, he has a lot at stake. He must be lovin' all the free media & some sledders just keep passing him ammunition to crucify ALL SLEDDERS.

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don`t think he won Mark. Sounds more like he shot himself in the foot. ;)
No one commented on the footage that was used in Global`s story :confused: no one see it? They showed clips like the Clemina near miss and the BIS 2006. We are always portrayed as a bunch of rednecks. :mad: How come you never hear about the good things snowmobilers do?
I hear the ASA also attended the CAC AGM meetings and with all the others are all trying to find a way to educate snowmobilers about avy`s with "the powers that be".
I know that in this area MoTCA (used to be MoSTA) and the CAC are working with the club and society to produce signs for Boulder and Frisby staging areas rating the terrain for avy`s.

I never did see the Global footage. I do remember seeing quite a bit of footage on the horse (s) rescue this winter.

Cheers
Chris

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
please don't get me wrong... i really do appreciate all that is being done and i'm sure lots of people are working very hard to tell how it really is, just as it is written in the posted article. it was a great article. it even put a few spins on the sport that i hadn't even thought about.

i'm just a little worried that if we don't express to the public the great efforts we are making towards improvement of safety in our sport, the general public will have the wrong impression in their heads, and i'm pretty sure they out number us. it isn't very common for the news to ever talk about the positives anyways, so it would be hard to spread the word, but i really hope a couple news stations see it and follow up on the negativity they have already spread.

again, great article. cheers.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For a guy who shoots himself in the foot, he is doing well. he has 10X the mountainous terrain for his BUSINESS, as recreational users do in the North Columbia.
To the average viewer, it comes across as us sledders to be careless and wreckless. The general public only read things once, and then make their judgements, not research the facts and determine what is true or not like we do. They read it, they move on to the next headline... but a sliver sticks.

He has set his bait, and will come back to pull in his big fish later, perhaps years later. But that's ok.... because we know what's true...:rolleyes: so does the ""general public"".

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone that uses the " I don't buy a trail pass 'cause I never ride the groomed trails " excuse better think again, the BCSF and ASA are our only public voice, it costs money to get the word out and guys like Mike Weigle have access to lots of money to get their side of the story to the public.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone that uses the " I don't buy a trail pass 'cause I never ride the groomed trails " excuse better think again, the BCSF and ASA are our only public voice, it costs money to get the word out and guys like Mike Weigle have access to lots of money to get their side of the story to the public.

As an ASA member it sickens me to see so many sleds out on the ASA trails with no trail passes. Go to our north cabin and you will find dozens of sleds out there with no passes. Ask these people to by passes and their answer is we don't use your trails. "Well dipchit how did you get to the cabin?" It costs us money to maintain the trails and as you mentioned Summiteer is costs the ASA money to do battle against those groups that want to shut us down. I say to all you free loading leaches that don't buy passes and support your local clubs and the ASA or BCSF " shut your pie hole when we lose these privledges, I don't want to here your whiney comments that we cant ride anymore. Buck up or shut up. Just my:rant:

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did MW contribute to the Mcbride horse rescue at all or was it only the snowmobile community that assisted?

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have just read this entire thread. Holy crap did it stir up stuff. I am a student pilot and a snowboarder, and most importantly a sledder. I noticed that the topic of technological advances never came up. I started riding in the mountains on a phaser II long tracked to 136" with 3/4" lugs! Now that was a mountain machine. As technology advanced, so did my riding ability and my experience (ie. terrain awareness). Now, since the oil boom, I have met many people on 400 horse power machines that have never ridden in the mountains before. I have heard that inexperience has played a part in many of this season's tragedies.

Now for what I have done wrong as a rider:
-It was several seasons before I took avalanche training, and for that I am sorry.
-There were also several seasons I did not buy trail passes, especially in Alberta, because I was not riding on the clubs' groomed trails. Wrong attitude.

After this season I promise to always buy both Alberta and BC passes, as well as to support the local clubs. The extra $100 per season is equivelant to what I lose in loose change every year. I did not previously think about supporting the clubs to act as a voice or advocate for the sport.

As for MW, I too feel he is simply trying to keep it for his business. His previous statements about assisting the woodland cariboo management disgusted me, as a Longranger hovering at 1500' terrorizes those animals for miles. Think of how fast you lose sight and sound of your friends on their sleds. Anyway, he has been bashed enough, so I will simply find a way to support the sport politcally, academically, and professionally.

Top Bottom