Editorial Response to B.C. Snowmobile Ban

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to share with you all an editorial in my local paper this morning...from the Prince George Citizen dated May 5, 2009

SNOWMOBILE BAN UNDULY DRASTIC, NOT NECESSARY

Snowmobilers who seek nirvana in B.C.'s mountainous terrain are tempting fate when they venture into dangerous territory. But they should not be forbidden to do so. The owner of B.C.'s largest helicopter skiing company wants snowmobilers banned from B.C.'s mountains because of what he calls "an epidemic" of avalanche deaths.

Mike Wiegele says the fact 19 snowmobilers were killed in avalanches in B.C. this winter should be a wake-up call to the provincial government to ban snowmobiles from the backcountry.

This would be an unduly drastic and unnecessary step.

Certainly the best way to prevent avalanche deaths in to prevent people from venturing into the mountains. It is also true that more deaths involve snowmobilers than any other group. However, banning them from the mountains would deny snowmobilers one of the great thrills of their hobby - human and machine in B.C.'s mountainous splendour.

Rather than a ban, what's needed is beter education in the snowmobiling community - knowing when it's safe and not safe to venture into the high country.

The Canadian Avalanche Association issues weekly advisories throughout the winter on avalanche risks around B.C. A membership in a group such as the Prince George Snowmobile Club can also be valuable.

Experienced, responsible sledders also know there are great places to go when snow conditions in the mountains are too dangerous.

In the Prince George area this winter there were avalanche fatalities near Chetwynd and McBride that involved snowmobilers from Alberta, raising the possibility those groups threw caution to the wind rather than scuttle a long-planned weekend of sledding in B.C. The onus is on all backcountry users to know the terrain and its conditions.

As with and decision in life, discretion is the better part of valour.

Instead of a ban, the province should introduce a law that makes snowmobilers or skiers lost in off-limits areas responsible for rescue costs.

The possibility of injury or death hasn't been much of a deterrent for many, but perhaps they might think twice about a risky adventure if a hefty monetary cost is attached.

finndoo

Reaction score
Mike Wiegele is known for being totally against snowmobiles, until a group of his skiers needs a little help getting out of the backcountry, then we are his best friend. He will use whatever means necessary to ban sleds from "his" areas. I have a freind that flew for him that finds Mike to be similar to Dr. Evil who is truely diabolical. I am sure that mike offers whatever he can to those elite few that have influence to aide his anti-sledding in and around Blue River. Austen Powers we need you!

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever you think of Mike Weigle or other criticizers, THEY ARE NOT THE PROBLEM.

Please re-read post # 141 & subsequent posts by dan123 in "Clemina Avalanche Video" and this will put the focus back where it belongs.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever you think of Mike Weigle or other criticizers, THEY ARE NOT THE PROBLEM.

Please re-read post # 141 & subsequent posts by dan123 in "Clemina Avalanche Video" and this will put the focus back where it belongs.

Too true. We are sometimes our own worst enemies....

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I also read this post a while ago, When The Mountians bite back at this guy he's gonna wish that he would have listened instead of running his mouth. It's sad to say but by then it'll probaly be 2 late.:nono::nono: People like this are the problem!

Nosaj Knil

Reaction score
I scuttled many a trip this year due to poor conditions so I'm not sure I appreciate the Alberta reference. However, I agree with you about everything else.

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
Has anyone done the math of how many sleds access the backcountry versus skiers??? It would be interesting to see how the numbers role out based on percentage of use! I have skied my entire life (used to ski 30 + days a year and NEVER could afford to go into the backcountry via cat or helicopter... I know that I am not alone in that as only a couple of my many skiing friends have had the pleasure of experiencing the backcountry on skis versus a TON of my friends have been in the backcountry on sleds...

How many peeps is Mr. Weiner shuttling into the backcountry each year??? I bet there are more sleds in the Renshaw or Allen Creek on one weekend versus all year for Mr. Weiner! Thanks for the letter Snoqueen!

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lot's of hate from some BC'ers on this thread against flat landers: Ban on back country snowmobiling?/ - Page 5 - HuntingBC.ca

I can tell you it's not just the Albertans that give sledders a bad name....there are B.C.'ers that give our sport a bad name too. Our sledding area is exclusively used by guys from B.C. (Albertans don't want to drive too far to the interior to find good mtn riding) and I tell you the unsafe chit that goes on out there will make your head spin.....and not only that!! Garbage is left behind, they are sledding in closed areas, and you name it...they're doing it.

I sledded in southern Alberta before, and I was always made welcome and not once did I feel like an outsider because I was from B.C. We even met some good Albertan sledding friends and took a trip to Yellowstone with them.

Just remember there are bad apples to every bunch....:nono:

Top Bottom