Embarrassed to be a skiier!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to say how ashamed of the ski community i'am for the posts they made on the story of the man killed in the avy in corbin! They make comments that make them sound like they are god! saying snowmobiles have no place in society and should be banned and everyone who rides on is an idiot and is just reckless! one Jackass even went as far as saying He feels no sympathy cause the man was on a sled! what a loser that guy who commented is! I gotta say it so when the skiiers were injured and needed stars to rescue them that was a an accident but when the sledder died it was labelled as reckless and totally avoidable! this is getting to be to much I myself snowboard and I just as of today and reading these granola leaf lickers posts has just made me retire my snowboard for good! I dont wanna be associated witha bunch of idiots who think they are better than god!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's pretty stupid of them, seeing as most of them die in avy's because they ski out of bounds in areas clearly marked as such.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
If I recall correctly at the beginning of the season there were alot more skiers caught than sledders. If I also recall correctly their was no bashing on here of skiers choices to ski out of bounds or where ever they were when they were caught.......I could be wrong though....

Jan

Last edited:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I snowboard quite regularly have been doing so for years and loved it! I know around pincher creek the sledders ski and the skiiers sled we all love both sports and love getting out and enjoying both! But for some reason there seems to be a rather large group of the ski community that just cant get used to the fact that yes some snowmobile and yes us sledders are actually quite well prepared and trained for the backcountry and there are more sledders now who are properly trained and geared up then there are skiiers! I asked a group of people at the hill if they had any ast training courses as they were entering an out of bounds area at castle ski hill they all replied back with "no we usually dont go to far out of bounds and only out of bounds at ski areas" wow that made perfect sense! yup stupid and ignorant people on every corner

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
if i recall correctly at the beginning of the season there were alot more skiers caught than sledders. If i also recall correctly their was no bashing on here of skiers choices to ski out of bounds or where ever they were when they were caught.......i could be wrong though....

Jan

i believe i read somewhere that over 15 skiers already died this year in bc, due to avy's..... Only 1 sledder up until last week.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i believe i read somewhere that over 15 skiers already died this year in bc, due to avy's..... Only 1 sledder up until last week.

I read the same thing. There were those sledders that got caught in Montana, and they were on the trail!

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lots of ski related accidents and quite a few of them happened on the hill! castle had the one guy killed from hitting his head on a stump I watched another idiot on sunday fall off the chairlift luckily he was only 10 feet up! I just get so angry when the leaf lickers start preaching about how holy the ski community is and how they never make mistakes but yet they seem to have more accidents. I put this on my facebook page and of course all my ski buddies lit up but I just laugh and say your opinion is invalid cause you use a sled to access the backcountry!

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not all skiers are bad, but there is a large percentage of HYPOCRITE'S out there. I see more and more backcountry skier's/snowboarders accessing the backcountry via sleds, but in no way do they ever refer to themselves as sledders. So I tell you what...leave the sled behind and slap your skins on and start hoofin' 'er:D We met 3 sled skiers on Friday heading up Harvey Pass...they were the most unfriendly bunch that I've come across...not as much as a wave or a nod...not to mention that they boxed my truck and trailer in down at the parking area. I bet he didn't like the note I left on his truck when he returned:D

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
maybe direct their attention to this video......mind you then the skiiers will just call out the boarders....there are 2 types of skiier....the guys like most of us who are just out to have fun and enjoy the day, and just like to ski; and the granola munchin hippie skiers who thing anything motorized iis the devil except for their 1970 VW bus. who bum around ski towns pissed off cause us sledders are getting further back into the area's than they can with out a heli ride......these are the ones who complain....just sayin

Go Pro HD Huge Avalanche - YouTube

Last edited:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
then he has stuff like that thumbs up if you like my video! yeah there not reckless at all! most of the comments below were probably wow man great video glad you were ok that could have been bad! if it was a sled one it would be you idiot how dumb are you! you are so reckless you have no right to be out there!

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you are so reckless you have no right to be out there!

To be fair, that incident was easy to see coming. Nice warm day, totally wind scoured on top and loaded on the slope to his left. He was cruising along atop a cornice the whole time.

BirdieO

Reaction score
these granola leaf lickers

Gots to say, I grew up in BC and at one point in my life could definitely have been described as one of those^^ but that is definitely the first time I've ever heard of a 'leaf licker'...LMAO!!

My quick 2 cents on the topic...there are always going to be individuals in any community that are going to have strong and sometimes, misguided opinions of other communities...ie skiers/sledders...by saying that you are embarrassed to be a part of one community, it could be said that you are; essentially, doing the same thing to them that has upset you in the first place...painting with a broad brush:) I agree, people can be awful and say horrendous things; I feel that at the end of day we are all human beings and if we all could learn how to be more humane, empathetic, respectful and humble...the world would be a better place to ski and to sled:eek:...I'm definitely not casting any judgement whatsoever, so hopefully this post isn't taken that way...

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear that..... all of us weather we ski or sled frickin use your head and ride safe

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Leaf Lickers haha....good one. I grew up in a little town called Banff, then lived in Pincher Creek and used the Castle and Fernie hills. Ski raced up to the national level and coached for many years so had many seasons over a 100 days on the hill. Well, I have never walked up a hill and never will. I like motorized transport to the top and now that I am into sledding I call myself a sledder. Remind those leaf lickers they are adding to their carbon foot print when they ride the chair and are no better than us.

Funny, I notice the look I get on the hi way from these guys when I am on the hi way in the truck with two sleds on the deck. Maybe next time I am skiing I will forgo the Helly Hansen or Descente gear and wear the Kim stuff. Most of those douches can't ski worth ch!t and would be fun to run them into the bush.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day I think all the ski resorts being built and being expanded are having a bigger environmental impact than the sledders in the mountains!!But I guess caribou aren't scared of helicopters just sleds!:twocents:

Top Bottom