B.C. backcountry snowmobile ban

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am forwarding the letter that I have sent to K Spencer at the Provine newspaper. I believe we all have to do our part on this!!!!!

Good Morning Mr Spencer

I live in the Prince George BC and was very disturbed to read in my local newspaper Mr.Wiegele's article about banning snowmobiles in the mountains. I realize this 08/-9 season we have had a lot of deaths in the snowmobile community and we have all mourned greatly for this. In the 07/08 season their was a large amount of skiing and snow boarding avalanche related deaths.

We as snowmobilers help the coroners office to recover bodies and I never read anything quite so graphic an explanation as Mr Weigele has done(wild animals chewed off victims face)

I would also like to comment on Mr Wiegeles comment about snowmobilers going into closed areas. First none of the avalanche victims this year were in closed areas and as of this point there are no signs indicating which areas are closed, yes there is a web site that provides this information. I support closing areas to snowmobiling for the protection of endangered wildlife but I have a hard time with the fact Mr. Wiegele seems to want areas closed that will benefit him in his endeavours as a Heli-Skiing company.

I am relatively new to the sport of snowmobiling, I am 45 and I am very conscience of the environment that we play in. I have taken a snowmobiling safety course recognized by Canadian safety council and this year will take a avalanche Level 1 course . I ride with many very experienced riders and have never seen any of them leave behind garbage or do damage to others property including but not limited to user maintained cabins provided for everyone's use. I realize that this is not how some people act but there is always a person in every group that is not very responsible or environmentally conscience .I don't believe that snowmobilers on a whole are wilfully doing damage to the environment or others property,However it only takes one to make a bad name for everyone.

I hope you will give the snowmobile groups a chance to rebut Mr .Wiegeles unfounded statements. I have spoke to a helicopter company in my area and the prices Mr. Wiegele has quoted are not what I was quoted(my quotes were considerably lower) as well Mr. Wiegele never stated in his article that he was reimbursed for this rescue by the BC coroners office and PEP. I hope you will follow up with an articule on the other side of this. Perhaps an articule on how snowmobiling is a great family activity and how this sport spends thousands of dollars in small rural communities in BC that otherwise would not have any tourist dollars except in summer.

Snowmobiling is a sport that generations have partipated in and will be arond for many years to come. WE ARE ALL WILLING TO SHARE OUR BEAUTIFUL PROVINCE"S BACK COUNTRY How about Mr.Wiegele?

Thank You and I look forward to reading you articles relating to this in the near future.

Robbin Worthington

All North First Aid Services
1919 - 17th Ave
Prince George BC
Phone -250-617-1063
Fax - 250-963-8162

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mr. Mike Wiegele has created himself a great marketing strategy.
As many people have already said, We need to get a voice for ourselves.
The money we pay for trail passes and club fees should help fund what we need to fight back. If someone says these fees are for other reasons, they should be prepared to use a portion to fight this or there will be no fees in the future if snowmobiling is shut down. The towns and businesses will also be affected with this as the snowmobile industry is a large fund raiser for many small towns. If towns think that they can survive on the revenue heli skiing will bring then fine, but if I owned a business in these towns I would sure be raising a stink at the next town councel and the chamber of commerce. The town Councel has a strong voice and if the government has pressure from every way, they should take notice.
One other thing, If the goal is to eliminate back areas recreational use, maybe the ban should be for ALL recreational use and Mr. Wiegele should be carefull for what he wishes for.

spitfire

Reaction score
As a person who has similiar ideals and feelings regarding snowmobiling as a sport, thankyou for expressing how many of us (old timers) feel.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Here's mine sent today

Kevin Spencer

I would like to point out a few things with regard to your article. I am writing this as a snowmobiler and skier, I have skied in the mountains but have yet to get there with a sled. when I have completed adequate training I would like the opportunity to sled in the mountains and not have to be guided by Wiegele's sled tours. I feel Mr.Wiegele has a personal agenda in this and that to him it is not about saving lives but growing his business.

Mike Wiegele is a business man, very successful at that. Mr. Wiegele is using the past seasons snowmobiler death toll as a business strategy. If backcountry sledding is shut down or curbed that opens up much more terrain for his business and will make it easier for him to secure lease rights to public property.
You acknowledge in the article that there have been past deaths among Mr.Wiegele's clients to an average of 1 every 10 years, I notice there is no mention of this years fatality. Has this been researched and found to be factual or is this his claim? even if so lets look at proportions. How many clients does Mr.Wiegele guide into the backcountry annually? Now compare that to the number of snowmobilers in the back country annually. Who has the higher percentage of fatalities, because that is the only truly fair way to compare apples to apples.
How much economic stimulus does Mr.Wiegele's clientele provide for the surrounding communities compared to sledders. Again I have no hard fact but as a skier myself I know when I go on a ski vacation I usually stay at the operators lodge, eat at the operators restaurant and drink at the operators bar. Now ask yourself how much of the economy in small town BC is driven by the snowmobiling community.
I have been told and could more than likely drum up documentation to prove that the "unpaid" rescue/recoveries performed by Mr.Wiegele's staff were in fact paid.....and if other helicopter companies can provide the same recovery service for MUCH less, why does it cost him $20000?

Please take the time when writing an article which effects as many different groups as this one, to research the BIG picture and not lend yourself to such a one sided politically motivated agenda.

Thank you
Ian Simpson, EH&S Manager
Edmonton, Alberta
gr8knurlin@hotmail.com

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Mike Wiegele Helicopter Skiing, the next-largest operation, has had 13 skier deaths in its 20 years. More than half of all those fatalities—20—resulted from avalanches. Nine more were caused by helicopter crashes. But crevasses, trees, cliffs and cornices (overhangs) are all potential dangers.

Quoted from an article written in 1991...so even if no deaths were had since that time that still makes 13 deaths in 40 years.....Maybe I don't know my math but isn't that A HELL OF A LOT MORE THAN 1 DEATH EVERY 10 YEARS!!!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I forwarded that to the author of the article as well....Research is so easy today, just lazy thats all..

OLIVE DRAB DEAN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were does he get off on providing details to the condition of a deceased victim? I wonder how the families feel about something like that, I would be pizzed off!!!

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is the reply from Kent Spencer.

"Thanx for writing. . . . check out an April 4 video on Youtube (I think it's called chemina hillclimb). It was shot south of Valemount. The death there was not in an open area. . . . Keep watching The Province. I may be doing a followup article. Kent."

here is the video
YouTube - Clemina Hillclimb Avalanche

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
He wrote me back as well thanking me for the info and reminding me there were 19 snowmobile fatalities this year....I was just questioning the 1 death per 10 years of wiegele's operation, I think he missed my point.

"Thanx for writing. . . . check out an April 4 video on Youtube (I think it's called chemina hillclimb). It was shot south of Valemount. The death there was not in an open area. . . . Keep watching The Province. I may be doing a followup article. Kent."

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

here is the video

Once again...maybe Mr. Spencer should get his facts straight! The April 4th Clemina Hillclimb video was a near miss not a death. It was the following Easter weekend that Cody passed near the Clemina Hillclimb. I thought it was a reporters job to get the facts?:confused:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Once again...maybe Mr. Spencer should get his facts straight! The April 4th Clemina Hillclimb video was a near miss not a death. It was the following Easter weekend that Cody passed near the Clemina Hillclimb. I thought it was a reporters job to get the facts?:confused:

Apparently in todays job market jr.high students........never mind not worth it...:d

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too sent a letter to Mr. Spencer and ironically all our letters are almost identical in the facts we put forward. This is VERY good for our consistancy in "outing" Mr. Wiegele and his agenda.

Mr. Spencer has contacted me saying the PRovince may do a follwo up story. Looks like our message is getting across.

He asked "is there a snowmobilers association" and how to get a hold of them. What the!!!!

Anyway, I would like to indulge Mr. Spencer appropriately. I would like to know who in the BCSF should be contacted and how. I was also thinking the ASA so who there as well and how. Maybe VARDA? A couple clubs anyone would recommend and whom in that club. Was thinking Zacs too. Please let me know soon and I will send bakc to Kent for a REAL story.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this area closed where the video was shot? Was Cody in a closed area?

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this area closed where the video was shot? Was Cody in a closed area?

Neither the area where the video was shot nor the area where Cody was killed are closed areas. They are both within the boundaries of the Clemina Creek Snowmobile Area and in fact are very close to each other.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, let's keep at the letters - I will write one tomorrow as well.

I think Spencer just needs some good honest education and he'll be all right.

Last edited:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

here is the video

And to think, this Jackass calls himself a reporter. He should do some research before he writes anthing. I wonder if he isn't on Weigle's payrole?

Top Bottom