atv vs side by side

scrambler850

Reaction score
i have a 2013 polaris scrambler 850 and i was thinking about trading it in for a polaris rzr but i like a sporty ride and i was wondering what is more fun to drive on the trails my scrambler or a rzr

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on what type riding you do, and which side by side. They now come with oodles of power if you want it. The higher performance ones are usually wider than the quads, the Razr S is 61 inches wide at the widest point of the tires. If you plan to carry passenger, go side by side, much safer. Side by sides probably won't go through quite as much as your scrambler, but they'll go through a pile with right tires and driver. My 800 Razr S has sporty ride, handles rough stuff well.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have a hell of a lot of experience with side by sides, so take my option with a grain of salt. For what it's worth, I find them fun but only for short periods of time. Being longer and wider is really nice on adverse terrain but being wider can really suck at times, especially if you like to give'er and end up hitting a fallen tree that someone cut just barely wide enough to get a quad through or when the trails just get really narrow. In most conditions, I find a quad to be more rider active and more fun. Having lots of storage is definitely a plus for longer trips. In some conditions, like deep snow and tight, windy trails, it seems that you have to do an exhausting amount of hand over hand steering if you're going any decent speed. I think your best bet is to take one out for a full day and decide for yourself - that's what I hope to do pretty soon, even though I'm pretty confident my feelings won't change much unless I had a girlfriend that refused to ride a quad and that was the only way to get her out on the trails with me.

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got rid of my quad and prefer the sxs.

Had quad and a sxs since 2009.

Now just run a sxs

Trails are wide enough since the sxs's almost outnumber quads on the trails now.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had 2 quads prior, then bought a SxS, then sold it and bought my PoPo this spring. After riding this year, there is no way I could have went where my quading buddies went if I had a SxS. I am glad I did the switch, but it's all in where you ride and who you ride with.

I am glad I am not the pack mule anymore :)

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And people that can't start a fire with gas

sent from A UNKNOWN PLACE IN TEA LAND

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I go all the places quads go no problem.
More sxs's are on the trails than quads now.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This last weekend the sxs's had no problem in the large ruts.
Quads tipped over!!!!

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 2013 polaris scrambler 850 and i was thinking about trading it in for a polaris rzr but i like a sporty ride and i was wondering what is more fun to drive on the trails my scrambler or a rzr

My kid hates riding on our 2-up quad so I have been borrowing my works ranger, she enjoys it more (safer for her anyhow), I get bored till I find a deep hole in some skeg and bury it or find some trails that a quad will barely fit and scrape the roll cage and body along(good thing its a rental LOL). My scrambler hasn't moved all summer. Best would be to try one out before you trade in

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sxs is way safer than a quad, as arff says they go aywhere a quad will and usually more places, if your worried about trail width carry a saw, problem solved. each has it's own niche's as to hauling everyones junk, just say no period.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sxs is way safer than a quad, as arff says they go aywhere a quad will and usually more places, if your worried about trail width carry a saw, problem solved. each has it's own niche's as to hauling everyones junk, just say no period.
I'll make you a deal: if you can get through something I can't get through OR I lead through something where you get stuck, you haul all my sh!t for the rest of the year.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The deal i'll make is i'm not haulin any of your ****, but i'm willing to help you out haha

Be interesting when the 30's get put on

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll make you a deal: if you can get through something I can't get through OR I lead through something where you get stuck, you haul all my sh!t for the rest of the year.

I think Larry's to chicken .....

Mabe one out of 20 times u will make it past me on a sxs. But u have to take the same lines.

sent from A UNKNOWN PLACE IN TEA LAND

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Phugg tex i'd kick yer azz on the mudpro and this goes farther, and on 27 tires. lol

anyway tex, what is the big deal on who or what can go farther, i'm happy just to make it through!!!

i'm lookin to be sportin some 30's though

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any how, no idea how far it will go sportin 30 zillas or similar tire, but i'm sure i can get it stuck

Last edited:

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went from two ATVs to a sxs back on a outlander 800xt.Much prefer the quad especially in the mountains of BC.sxs have limitations wit the roll bar hitting tree's on irregular terrain. ATV easier to load in my pickup box as well,the trailering got old fast

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they have there limitations alright. seem to see more and more of them all the time on the trails i ride on.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they have there limitations alright. seem to see more and more of them all the time on the trails i ride on.

We noticed that August long weekend. A lot more sxs's than quads on the trails .

Top Bottom