are all bosses jerks or just mine?

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since it's like your first job I would say it's tough for you to judge if your boss is REALLY tough or not. I've had shitty bosses, some things I will put up with some things I won't. It's the reason I quit one job, gave him a few hints and warnings that I was sick of his crap, and eventually just told him to go fawk himself. There is some stuff I will not put up with no matter what.

But I will say i'm sick of companies who say "why aren't you working safe?" then turn around and won't spend money on safe things, and complain when things take to long.

If you hate your job joey, I wouldn't put up with it. I absolutely refuse to work at a job I despise anymore. Life it to short to be unhappy, even if another job pays less, a good boss and working conditions mean a LOT. There is lots of good jobs out there. I had one, I really wanted to stay there I just hated the work and hours, but it was AMAZING conditions.

I've had a few jobs, but mostly work with my dad. He use to be really bad to work for but i've changed it a lot. I don't care who it is, stand up for yourself if people push you to far. But working in tim hortons I guarantee you your boss isn't screaming and swearing at you like a lot of people (me included) have had. I've been pushed far enough to tell a boss to go fawk himself and get out of my face. Just because they are your boss doesn't mean you have to take it all if THEY are the one out of line.

i dont hate my job , the job is fine its him , i like the people i work with and the customers are fine........

no one likes this guy..........no one.

thanks!

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its good character building to have a dick for a boss.I have had a few over the years.My wife @50yrs young just got a new boss about 10 months ago and is having a difficult time with a boss that is pushy,oppionated,won't ask for help'expects others to work like her.She has been lucky up till now.I have been self emplyed for the last 20 yrs but I still have to answer to my customer [the boss of the day] and some can be complete a holes.Young lad its a learning experiance and the longer you can take it the better you are.I do agree knowone should have to put up with pricks but most of us do.Good luck with your new boss ,probably a whole lot better

makes sense.

i dont see how a boss can treat someone like that , you wouldn't be so successful without those people.........

he just doesn't make sense to me.....kills me how nice he was at first.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
makes sense.

i dont see how a boss can treat someone like that , you wouldn't be so successful without those people.........

he just doesn't make sense to me.....kills me how nice he was at first.

Some just like to take advantage of people who don't know better. When I was in high school I worked in a warehouse and didn't know better, got "asked" to work extra shifts kept telling them no it's to many hours because i'm in school (was working 32 hours a week already) sometimes working till midnight, not very good when your 16 and trying to get up at 7 for school. Didn't know better and always caved and worked 40-45 hours a week and screwed me over with school. Now I know better and would tell them to fawk off.

Also, if he's really bad you could go over his head and put in something to tim hortons. I am sure if he is getting a lot of complaints from workers they will step in. They likely don't want a reputation of treating workers bad.

Last edited:

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some just like to take advantage of people who don't know better. When I was in high school I worked in a warehouse and didn't know better, got "asked" to work extra shifts kept telling them no it's to many hours because i'm in school (was working 32 hours a week already) sometimes working till midnight, not very good when your 16 and trying to get up at 7 for school. Didn't know better and always caved and worked 40-45 hours a week and screwed me over with school. Now I know better and would tell them once to fawk off.

Already, if he's really bad you could go over his head and put in something to tim hortons. I am sure if he is getting a lot of complaints from workers they will step in. They likely don't want a reputation of treating workers bad.

good idea!

they dont push me around in a gettint more hours and staying late , as soon as 11 comes i punch out and just say i'm sorry but i dont work for free. and their fine with that.

i will try and get a bunch of people to go to the highest person and get him canned! or just not be a jerk.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like the guys said "Head down, azz up"
Maybe you need to work faster, and he wouldn't be yelling at you.................just saying

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell him to show you how to do something better/quicker if he thinks your to slow. If he can't, tell him to stop bitching and maybe it's a way to learn to do something another way.

I got a kick out of my boss complaining about how quickly I was digging once, when he had a shovel in his hand for 1 minute he damaged a gas line pretty badly and shut the job down for days. Never did complain again about how fast anyone dug, and kept his mouth shut a bit more.

I loved my last job, supervisors weren't allowed to say anything about how fast you were working, as long as you were working it's all that mattered. Funny how much more gets done!

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell him to show you how to do something better/quicker if he thinks your to slow. If he can't, tell him to stop bitching and maybe it's a way to learn to do something another way.

I got a kick out of my boss complaining about how quickly I was digging once, when he had a shovel in his hand for 1 minute he damaged a gas line pretty badly and shut the job down for days. Never did complain again about how fast anyone dug, and kept his mouth shut a bit more.

I loved my last job, supervisors weren't allowed to say anything about how fast you were working, as long as you were working it's all that mattered. Funny how much more gets done!

AWESOME IDEA!! thanks i'll deffinately do that!!!!

cool story too!!!:d:beer::beer::beer:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Ummmm ya then I tell you right now that you don't want to work for me....

Just remember most of your bosses start right where you are so he knows where the level is at where you should be at and he is paid to put you there if you can't keep up he will find someone who will......it's call a job if it was meant to be fun they wouldn't have to pay anyone to work there.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ummmm ya then I tell you right now that you don't want to work for me....

Just remember most of your bosses start right where you are so he knows where the level is at where you should be at and he is paid to put you there if you can't keep up he will find someone who will......it's call a job if it was meant to be fun they wouldn't have to pay anyone to work there.

I honestly doubt most of the bad bosses were in that position, and THAT is why they are a bad boss.

My worst one i've ever had never did the job, it was just union and he got promoted there, didn't know ANYTHING about it he came from a completely different division. The person under him who was the supervisor started out at the bottom and did the job, and KNEW what it was like and was GREAT. When he took over when the other guy wasn't there everyone was so happy because everything went smoother and more work gets done.

That is why I believe so many problems arise when the supervisor was never in that position.

Work isn't going to be "fun" but it should be a somewhat positive environment, there is no need for bosses that swear and yell all day for no reason. If they do it by themselves that's cool, but not towards people who don't deserve it.

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You spend enough of you life at work, might as well enjoy it. Or at least not get dragged down by it I guess.

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My last boss never really gave me any grief it was more from other guys I worked with because I used to be fat and was the young shop hand. There was one old guy that did the least amount of work and always rode my ass. Looking over my shoulder, he would watch me fawk up, laugh and then pick me apart. Man did I want to knock his old ass out. I started to purposely do things to piss him off and get under his skin like he did mine. I got laid off and learned a lot, probably one of the best things to happen to me. I realized I needed to get in shape, go back to school because I didn't want to work in the oil industry. I was able to collect EI in the mean time for a bit.

/end of life story

Try to become his friend if you can, ask him questions about his family, last time he had a holiday, where did he go, how was that. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Or

If he gets mad, get crazy mad.. You have to out due his madness. Start talking to yourself in 3rd person before he gets a chance to say it. You say "Joey must go faster" "Joey work work work" "Joey must pour coffee quicker without burning"

Some times people don't realize how ridiculous they are being so you have to imitate them.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like others have said since he's your first boss, its hard to compare him to another boss. Maybe he's having trouble at home and he takes it out on you without realizing it. Food for thought. He could also be a pr!ck thats nice at first and shows his true colours a week later. I found that out with one journeyman on a jobsite out of highschool. He was nice when I first started and then started screaming at me whether I did something right or wrong. I wanted to lay his a$$ out right there but I kept my cool, went home and found a different job (different industry altogether actually). Keep your head high and do your best, thats all they can ask of you.

I'm pretty fortunate to have the bosses and co-workers I do. My foreman is the easiest going guy I know and has only once chewed me out (I deserved it). But he never cuts me down for my mistakes, just helps me learn from them.

But like Cyle said earlier, school first, work later. That was the rule for me in high school and like Cyle I was working damn near 40hrs a week in grade 12, and my marks suffered so I quit and focused on school. Theres nothing wrong with the trades but don't limit yourself with schooling, take various courses so you have different doors to open if a trade isn't what you want to do. Also for the love of God please don't take up a career for the money. I've seen way too many guys get into various careers only to end up being miserable because they hate their job but love the paycheque. You have to love what you do, the money will come later.

Work hard, study hard and play hard Joey. It pays off in the end.

Top Bottom