Any Commander reports out there?

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up my commander 1000 xt yesterday and got to take it for a bit of a burn today. This thing hauls a$$. The steering is tuff at very low speeds but u do not notice it at all once you are going. Interior has lots of room for me (I'm 6'2) and seats are comfortable. As far as the visco lock goes the only terrain it might not work for is rock crawling. Being the owner of 2 canam quads the visco works great for everything else. I did not experience any belt issues going wot today running 28 outlaw radials but time will tell. Waiting to find out what works best for a clutch kit. Wish I would have got this thing at the start of summer and not at the start of winter. Probably wont get alot more seat time before it gets to cold

Did you buy diff. tires after you got the machine? I thought they came with 27" Maxxi Bighorns.

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up my commander 1000 xt yesterday and got to take it for a bit of a burn today. This thing hauls a$$. The steering is tuff at very low speeds but u do not notice it at all once you are going. Interior has lots of room for me (I'm 6'2) and seats are comfortable. As far as the visco lock goes the only terrain it might not work for is rock crawling. Being the owner of 2 canam quads the visco works great for everything else. I did not experience any belt issues going wot today running 28 outlaw radials but time will tell. Waiting to find out what works best for a clutch kit. Wish I would have got this thing at the start of summer and not at the start of winter. Probably wont get alot more seat time before it gets to cold

I would like to see pictures with those 28" outlaws!!!

dlg27

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you buy diff. tires after you got the machine? I thought they came with 27" Maxxi Bighorns.

Ya they came with bighorns but I switched to outlaw radials and a 14" msa diesel wheel. I will try and post some pics

dlg27

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is some pics taken from my phone after yesterdays ride

Attachments

• IMG-20101030-00013.jpg
    IMG-20101030-00013.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG-20101030-00012.jpg
    IMG-20101030-00012.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG-20101030-00010.jpg
    IMG-20101030-00010.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 350

boxer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that thing looks SWEET!!!. Did you notice any of the clunking noise that other commander owners have been talking about from the gearbox??

dlg27

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When u first put it in gear and take off it makes a clunking noise but it is the same noise as both my canam quads make when u shift. Just a canam thing I guess

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice looking unit. Did you put a lift kit on or is that the way thay come?

CAN-DOO

Grampa Member
Reaction score
Took one for a spin on sat. Here is a quick pro / con review.... to be honest need more seat time however these are my Gut feelings...
It was an xt 1000

PRO
* Lot`s of power
* nice seat`s /dash
* great fit /Finnish
* great cage , nets ,restraints etc.
*smooth ride
* storage
Did i say power...

Cons
*Too much electronics ,great if it`s working
*loud clunking when shifting ?
*muffler to low (joke)
*fly by wire throttle has built in lag time
*old visco lock ,many turns to lock up
*rad is too low
*how do you change a belt on the trail ?
*how do you get to the motor?
* too wide for not having long travel
*too top heavy/heavy period
*belt was smoking under WOT

All in all a great compromise machine that will do everything well, but in terms of sport/handling/ride a fair bit behind the RZR S. If you could put the 1000 motor in the RZR with out all the electronic crap , you would have something. IMO.....

I just took my 1000x out this weekend for it maiden rip. I agree with everything listed here except for compromise. Its all about pride for your ride I guess but Im not certain BRP can be accused os compromise, over priced perhaps but never compromise :) I still got wood from the weekend and its Tuesday already :d

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just took my 1000x out this weekend for it maiden rip. I agree with everything listed here except for compromise. Its all about pride for your ride I guess but Im not certain BRP can be accused os compromise, over priced perhaps but never compromise :) I still got wood from the weekend and its Tuesday already :d

Cool. :cool: Is the seat adjustable to make room for the wood? :d I think that would be important.

CAN-DOO

Grampa Member
Reaction score
Cool. :cool: Is the seat adjustable to make room for the wood? :d I think that would be important.

Yep:d adjustable and removable.
I guess my biggest peive is that although the x comes with fox shocks, bead locks and rock guards, all cool why the hell would they send it out the door without the winch? Makes no sense and screams money grab. I got the removable system so I can go front or rear, thats kinda cool but as per usual I opened up the plastic to run the wiring, got the rear ready to go but the dealer "forgot" the front winch mounting bracket. So far I have been riding with my winch tucked in the underbelly becuase mounted on the back is wayy too low for my liking but riding without a winch just makes me feel nekkid :)

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep:d adjustable and removable.
I guess my biggest peive is that although the x comes with fox shocks, bead locks and rock guards, all cool why the hell would they send it out the door without the winch? Makes no sense and screams money grab. I got the removable system so I can go front or rear, thats kinda cool but as per usual I opened up the plastic to run the wiring, got the rear ready to go but the dealer "forgot" the front winch mounting bracket. So far I have been riding with my winch tucked in the underbelly becuase mounted on the back is wayy too low for my liking but riding without a winch just makes me feel nekkid :)

I have a bud who rode his 350 Honda for years without a winch. I could never do that.

When I bought my Rhino I had it set up to have the winch front or back. The first trip to the bush the winch kept digging into the ground when crossing little dips or creeks. I hated it. I had it mounted up front underneath right away. Plus I got thinking over the many years of quading I never once needing to have a winch on the back. AND I fiqured if I was so stuck that I could not get out going forward how the hell would I ever get the winch off the front mount and move it to the back.

Sounds like your enjoying the Commander. I'm looking into one or the rzr xp for spring. I'm really disappointed that Yami have not come out with a Rhino to compete and will probably pout about it for ever and never buy another Yami product. Jerks. :mad:

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too do not understand why the winch isnt standard. the only cons i felt to the commander was the hard steering and all the electronics. i only did a test ride on a demo and it was beat to snot. so the clunking between gears is normal? i thought it was just this demo. I guess my old man spring ordered one, maybe ill have time to borrow his one weekend and do a good trial run before I buy a new side by side

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I forgot to respond about the winch too. That gold plated rzr xp does not come with a winch either. Or roof. Or any type of "A" arm guards (plastic or other wise). They sure know how to suck your wallet dry these days. :eek:

tomanytoysnotnuftime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I forgot to respond about the winch too. That gold plated rzr xp does not come with a winch either. Or roof. Or any type of "A" arm guards (plastic or other wise). They sure know how to suck your wallet dry these days. :eek:

I think the Commander and RZR-XP were designed purely for the duners. Winch and skid plates not required. It should work out better that they don't come with the "BRP & Polaris Warn wannabee's" any way, they don't compare to the real thing. :d

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the Commander and RZR-XP were designed purely for the duners. Winch and skid plates not required. It should work out better that they don't come with the "BRP & Polaris Warn wannabee's" any way, they don't compare to the real thing. :d

I'm not sure about that. They advertise these machines playing in the dunes because that is were their biggest market share is going to come from. I really don't see why these machines won't work fine in the mud and skeg as well as the dunes.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The XP has the most power is one of the lightest with the best power to weight ratio. It has the most ground clearence and yet has the lowest C.O. G. of all side by sides. It has the most suspension travel ,most articulation, and is the same set up as trophy trucks with 3 point trailing arms . It has the best clutch set up and a superior all wheel drive system. It has the least amount of electronic sensors/limiters. It and the rzr s are the only long travel s/s made .
While the Commander is a lot more utility , it is not in the same league as the xp for sport performance....not even close.

CAN-DOO

Grampa Member
Reaction score
I have taken my 1000x out a few times now. I am loving it BUT, the net/seat belt are a pain in the mishigina. I got.......traction displaced (not stuck) lol, and required a gentle tug to regain my footing. All cool but the pain in the butt of having to get out, hook up, then signal to my tow, sratch that, my traction assistant represenatative :) driver to "just wait" cause I had to first lock the net in place, put on my seat belt then push my override button was a royal pain. Without these components the Commander is designed to deliver naught but squat power. I am looking forward to the override upgrade that Im certain more intillectual and equally unsatisfied commander drivers will release, soon, hopefully. Other than that, two thums up, unless I need a tow, then I need my appendages to let the commanders safety features know that its okay to give er.

cdnsledder

Reaction score
I have taken my 1000x out a few times now. I am loving it BUT, the net/seat belt are a pain in the mishigina. I got.......traction displaced (not stuck) lol, and required a gentle tug to regain my footing. All cool but the pain in the butt of having to get out, hook up, then signal to my tow, sratch that, my traction assistant represenatative :) driver to "just wait" cause I had to first lock the net in place, put on my seat belt then push my override button was a royal pain. Without these components the Commander is designed to deliver naught but squat power. I am looking forward to the override upgrade that Im certain more intillectual and equally unsatisfied commander drivers will release, soon, hopefully. Other than that, two thums up, unless I need a tow, then I need my appendages to let the commanders safety features know that its okay to give er.

I haven't tried this (waiting for my commander like everybody else) but is their not two wires that connect somewhere in the buckle for the net or seat beltthat you could either make closed or open circuit 100% of the time by doing a bit of farmer wiring? Thereby making it your choice to buckle? I don't know it senses if the belt and net are are on but I imagine it's something like that, no?

Top Bottom