Alberta government working on licensing for home builder

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My whole point is that if they try to force a home builder to have a journeyman carpenter on payroll doesn't mean they're going to get any better product. I'm not against having a ticket, just don't assume that it solves all your problems

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

mick

Reaction score
This whole deal was the brainchild of a group of big builders to squeeze the smaller guys out and hamstring the owner builders. All of the problems the NH warranty and the owner builder laws in BC and Alberta were pushed to correct were all cause by the big builders. It is all about $$$$$...... As most have stated here tickets do not mean competent, pride in your workmanship does.

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Experience, training and education are all part of being a competent trades person.
If there's one thing I've learned about framing houses it's that Nait teaches you the exact opposite of what you need to know to work for a home builder which is comical to me....
Every home builder wants you to build houses with the least amount of Materials in the quickest way possible=money saved. Nait teaches you to use the most amount of materials and take the longest possible way to do it

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
images
need i say more?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big builders have lawyers & small builders have reputations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't need a lawyer anymore, with the new insurance regulations you cannot even sue a builder anymore. Mandatory binding arbitration that each party splits cost of 50/50, suppose to "increase consumer protection" in reality it was "all the big sh*tty builders were getting sued too much, gotta put a stop to it".

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is so hard about doing what everyone else had to do and get your ticket. Why is carpentry the only trade everyone figures you do not have to do this? So many people have suffered on the account of this. Heck you can't even drive a truck without a class 1 and yet everyone can drive. If you can't pass the exams sorry you have no business in the trade....just like every other career.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are confusing one single trade ticket with the proposed licensing of a home builder .
These are no where near the same thing , nor do they have the same repercussions on the effected industry .
I can tell you that there is a whole lot more to building a house than to have a " ticket "....
Some days ,I wish it was really that simple ....

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They will not be making anyone write a inter provincial carpentry exam and pass it, as stated earlier no one needs carpenters "ticket" to build a house. In BC my son built his house 8 years back, seems he can build houses now in BC and i cannot. Not sure what hoops he had to jump through or if it is the same as Alberta, nor do i care. We have a good laugh about that one. And no he does not build houses for a living.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is not about carpentry only ... lts about home builders .
The actual framing of the house takes about a week or two out of an average 40 to 70 weeks for a home build ...
Carpentry is but a small part of the over all project !

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your idea of a carpenter and mine differ vastly. Other than the plumbing, heating and wiring and cement finishing. Every thing else is carpentry. I have built the cabinets and doors for that matter. And start coping the baseboards!!

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So a finishing carpenter is going to frame & vice versa ...
Lol, or mud and tape or stipple ..
Or tile ..
Or understands complex HVAC systems...
Or do vapour barrier ....
I could go in and on ..

Not to mention the paperwork , permits , inspections, development permits , lot grading, engineering , bonding , new home warranty , builder portal and about 375 other details....
That are the builders responsibility , as well as banging nails and cutting boards ....
While at the same time trying to control costs and make a reasonable profit ! of course you realize we did not have home warranty 8 years ago ,right ?
Lol , times have changed...

The point is more regulations , will increase cost and reduce quality ... this is a fact . It will put buyers at the mercy of the big builders , making it impossible for smaller builders to compete economically....
A small builder relies on his reputation and word of mouth from satisfying customers ....
A big builder cuts corners because it's all about volume & $$ & time .....sorry but if you can't see this , you don't know a lot about the residential construction trade .

Last edited:

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am in BC ...home warranty since 1999. I would have to brush up on the radon gas and HVAC. But i am done with it now, first time in 40 years of carpentry that i have been told i don't know squat. Done the vapour barrier and taping, i would rate myself at a c with both of them. Higher at the boarding. Tiling is not bad. Yes times have changed for me for sure and i love it.... Sounds like times are going to change for you as well. I come to Calgary about 4 times a year, maybe if you are building there I can stop by, I am an old age pensioner with a 100 or so broken bones in each wrists, par for the trade. We can have a little race for an hour or two, then you can tell everyone on here what you think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom