Everybody loves nurses

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AHS is top heavy. To many managers. My cousin works in a rural hospital as an RN. She told me she has 9 managers on her floor. That’s a manager for every 3 nurses she said. We have talked before on this forum about the overtime scam Danielle Smith broke on QR770 when she was there. The nurses even have a schedule set up so they can take their turn making double time. My daughter is a PT and just went through hell with a new assistant assigned to her. He was a nice guy she said but totally useless. He is on his 4th posting and and has now been moved again. Because of the union they can’t get rid of him. They just keep shuffling him to different floors hoping he will figure out how to lift patients, how to put the brakes on a wheelchair but he can’t figure it out. Let’s face it, there needs to be changes. We all agree nurses do a thankless job but after Kenney had the independent commission look at AHS and find they were highest paid in Canada and gave back a national rating of 6th for bang for the buck something needed to be done.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AHS asked the nurses to take a pay cut, not Kenny. Pure strategy by AHS management to gain media attention.

I disagree with Nurses taking a pay cut, Alberta is highest paid for alot of stuff don’t use that excuse with them. Maybe less management, take a lot of seniority perks away so the old ones retire, things like that first?

Either way “free” healthcare days are numbered, can’t keep these costs up and I fully expect more “user fee” type approach UCP is taking on alot of other stuff.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wait till nothead gets in again they will all get big raises

I don’t believe that will be true, but it’s possible.

My wife works part time in the schools, believe it or not, she works more now and before, the NDP were in. Dunno where the funding went that the NDP promised, but it didn’t help get her more work, she actually worked less during the NDP term.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha, how did you guess? My people have had their pay cheques for the last 2 years and the owners took the loss. I hope things are turning around.
so you're saying the management and govt should take the hit and not the workers?

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I say pay them. I'm sure as chit not going to do it. Anyone who has ever sat in a ER waiting for awhile would understand what they go through. Bleeding, pooping, Crack heads, babies and deaths. Nurses see some chit and it takes a special person to do that job and I'm pretty glad they are there. Wanna cut wages maybe start with public works, mayor's and other civil servants and ministers.
I wouldn't do it either but if these nurses got into their profession for the money and not for loving on people then they would not last long I'm sure.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so you're saying the management and govt should take the hit and not the workers?
I don't have the facts on the management of the hospitals but in my business I put value on my people and don't want to lose them so I keep paying them. With that said, my people don't make huge money and in tough times I have more reserves put aside from the good years so I can take the hit first. In the end I pay them and keep them or don't pay them and lose them, either way it costs me.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whats the manager to nurse ratio? is cutting that really going to make a difference? vs cutting 1$ from thousands.
That’s a tough one. I have a commercial residential painting company and I’m down in
I don't have the facts on the management of the hospitals but in my business I put value on my people and don't want to lose them so I keep paying them. With that said, my people don't make huge money and in tough times I have more reserves put aside from the good years so I can take the hit first. In the end I pay them and keep them or don't pay them and lose them, either way it costs me.
That’s exactly how I’m living. My wife still working 20-30 hrs. a week in construction with me. I haven’t paid her or myself in over a year. My staff are still getting 80-90 hours every payday. And I have half the staff I had two years ago

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unions are the problem. Instead of rewarding hard work they reward laziness by enabling people. The funny part is alot of the nurses and union people want to shut down Alberta oil and our economy Not realizing just how much it contributes to the entire canadian economy. Shut down the hand that feeds you, and what a shock you get pay cuts... you have to a special kind of stupid to not be linking these things together.
Some people were born after 1992 and it shows

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nurses don't get 1.5 OT. They get 2X or 3X OT. Friends daughter in law laughs that she works 3 days a week and takes home $100 000/yr. She stays at home watching the job postings. If the position is not filled in a certain time then it goes 2X or more, then she takes the job.
This is rampant with the part timers. Do away with the OT, they will fill the vacant positions. That will help alot with the staffing shortages.

dale+shan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone else posted about the "managers". Sturgeon Hospital in St Albert maternity ward. Moms used to have labour, give birth and recover in the same room. All good. Now you travel to different wards for each.
But each ward gets a new manager. Our Doctor has not seen or heard from the "new Manager" since precovid. Despite many emails and phone calls. Office is always empty no manager to be seen.
Maybe one of Kennys made up positions to pad a friends wallet. A believe the mob calls these "Ghost Employees".

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone else posted about the "managers". Sturgeon Hospital in St Albert maternity ward. Moms used to have labour, give birth and recover in the same room. All good. Now you travel to different wards for each.
But each ward gets a new manager. Our Doctor has not seen or heard from the "new Manager" since precovid. Despite many emails and phone calls. Office is always empty no manager to be seen.
Maybe one of Kennys made up positions to pad a friends wallet. A believe the mob calls these "Ghost Employees".
Don't go there. That was probably an NDP position filled

Top Bottom