Everybody loves nurses

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nurses do great things for society and are appreciated by me and most others but right now I side with the Alberta government and say their pay should be brought in line with the average of the neighboring provinces.

I saw the news this morning and they said nurses get paid $44/hr while BC and Saskatchewan are at $43/hr. Maybe Saskatchewan costs less for a home but Vancouver certainly does not.

With Covid, I understand that most nurses got plenty of overtime pay too. Would that be 1.5 x or 2 x regular pay?? Wow I wish I got overtime pay.

So put me straight on this subject please as I do not have family members that are nurses so I only see what the media slings at me.

Should I want my taxes to go up to pay more for nurses or should I hope Kenny holds strong and protects my taxes from increasing?

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of fat to be cut from upper mangement but the UNIONS WILL NOT ADRESS this fact.

Fix that problem first.

That is the biggest problem by far with every type of labor organization that provides a public service that bills/gets budget from govt.

Then fix the stupid pensions that are granted to be in line with others - massive waste of taxes that the taxed have to cover.

Leave the $1-2 hour cut alone.

FIX THE REAL ISSUES!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The stupid ndp sponsored attack ads are so retarded. It's the few old nurses at the top whining because they are useless and everyone else wants them out or cut them off from making stupid money, but they spin it to try and say it's cutting nurses. The mismanagement is also such a joke that costs so much. But even regular nurses, the base pay is really good, then add in the benefits, overtime and shift premium, I can't say I would feel bad if some of that got cut a bit, but the fat at the top and the mismanagement is a far bigger issue to deal with. Shift premium for many is like $6/hr for weekend nights, it's just stupid.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know all about it. lots of people expect a "bonus" as well... IMHO there are quite a few 30+ YEAR nurses who could easily retire and let some new blood in. that new blood also costs less... So the old blood, whos pension is getting bigger everyday and they're making top wage, Isn't really helping all the freshly educated young blood... NURSES SHOULD CARE ABOUT PATIENTS, SOME ARE THERE FOR A PAYCHEQUE.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cut their wages and hold strong. If you dont like it dont let the door hit you on the way out. Im sure there are lots of up and coming nurses that would love a shot at 43$ an hour with pension and unlimited overtime.

We aren't in a financial position to be paying the same wages as the boom years. what goes up must come down.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cut their wages and hold strong. If you dont like it dont let the door hit you on the way out. Im sure there are lots of up and coming nurses that would love a shot at 43$ an hour with pension and unlimited overtime.

We aren't in a financial position to be paying the same wages as the boom years. what goes up must come down.

For a nurse with 10+ years in that is a reasonable wage, it's the overtime and shift premiums that are an issue. $43/hour is good money but it's nothing crazy for Alberta right now especially considering what they do. At 40 hours a week it's $90k, how many in other jobs make that or more, plenty.

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Im thinking the nurses in question ar RNs , not LPNs.. You know.. the ones who had to undergo 7 years of schooling, most all at their own expence, are doing more and more of the even more expensive doctors work. Most every 3 and 4 year schooled tradespeople get that wage and more… The fat needs to be cut from the top… not the front line workers. I wonder what firefighters get paid? Should they get paid overtime? FFS!

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
7 years to be a doctor bro lol (minimum)
4 to be a registered nurse (look at UofA... quicker in the "fast track" programs)
2 to be LPN
all different unions.....

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
7 years to be a doctor bro lol (minimum)
4 to be a registered nurse (look at UofA... quicker in the "fast track" programs)
2 to be LPN
all different unions.....
Ok , 4 years . Still worth $43 an hour. IMO. My daughter is a LPN. To get her training, she had to pay. When she needed on hand training, like working in the hospital, she never got paid, instead, she had to pay. In most other trades, when you go to work for on hand training, as required to get into the next year, they pay you! Becoming a nurse is not an easy trade. Time for the people to show some appreciation, not cut them back…Fat floats to the top..

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sister is an RN and made $120k last year. The overtime she gets is crazy.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, cut bonus' and salaries up top, show some support to the workers. The workers need to support eachother though, not like now... They're fighting for the same work with less money. different unions RN/LPN and no solidarity...

The strike is coming. the force back to work is coming after, what happens after that?

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Alberta is just trying to get in line with what other provinces are paying. I'm not sure why we have to show appreciation to people for doing the job they get paid to do.

Top Bottom