Everybody loves nurses

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whats the manager to nurse ratio? is cutting that really going to make a difference? vs cutting 1$ from thousands.

nurse.jpg

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Defund the union they support.
During COVID they all made good money but cried for lockdowns and restrictions. My buddies wife works in a hospital, and I constantly hear him stating how stressed his wife is because the others do not GAF, and she picks up their slack.

She actually cares about her patients, and the others seem to be there for a paycheck. The problem IMO, hearing that, is with management and not enough accountability. She goes to management and gets the run around, and probably be labeled as a troublemaker because she the one that gives 120% every shift.

IMO some front line workers do deserve a pay cut, but because of unions everyone suffers, when some should be rewarded and given a pay raise.

Just my thoughts.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The hourly wage is one argument, but I have heard "rumours" of trading shifts between nurses which allows them to make OT much more than they should be with time off between shift requirements and that's how they build up the yearly incomes
But as mentioned, it's the people above them that need to take cuts if people are worried about spending. How many management and paper positions are they in nursing unions?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The hourly wage is one argument, but I have heard "rumours" of trading shifts between nurses which allows them to make OT much more than they should be with time off between shift requirements.
But as mentioned, it's the people above them that need to take cuts if people are worried about spending. How many management and paper positions are they in nursing unions?

There's also the nurses with "seniority" that pull rank and take all the holiday shifts that pay OT. So a nurse could get stuck working the Saturday and Sunday of a long weekend and then be forced to take the holiday Monday off where they would earn OT because another nurse has "claimed" that shift.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey but everyone is proud to say Canada has "free" Healthcare so we got that going for us. $45 an hour, $90 an hour, what does it matter when its free like our self balancing covid bucks budget

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whining nurses boo hoo, you haven’t worked for 18 months for the most part as hospitals / ER / surgery were empty (noted first hand as son was in from a bike crash), Kenney doing the right thing there he might have a small set of balls compared to Klein but the unions and liberal media can F off.

Last edited:

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My ex in-laws were both unionized workers their entire lives. The abuse I witnessed that they exploited of the “systems” they worked in was disgusting!! The MIL was an LPN at a small rural southern AB hospital. The way she talked, you’d think she ran the place, always talking down about doctors and RN’s she worked around … was constantly taking time off… fully used every sick day, STD, shift abuse (only ever worked and hand picked evenings and nights as it was “quieter” so she had less work to do). Then had the audacity to get her friend the physiotherapist issue her a handicap parking pass for her car, yet continued to work as an LPN for another 20yrs..!!

She sat on their union as a lead negotiator, back when it was the “Health Guilde” before being meld into the AUPE. She was a ruthless and demanding bitch that abused the system her entire career.

I have a few friends and family that are in nursing, and have quite a bit of respect for them, but my experience with the old bitch described above proved to me how much abuse in the system there really is. I believe the abuse starts at the top and the entire system needs a shake down.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I say pay them. I'm sure as chit not going to do it. Anyone who has ever sat in a ER waiting for awhile would understand what they go through. Bleeding, pooping, Crack heads, babies and deaths. Nurses see some chit and it takes a special person to do that job and I'm pretty glad they are there. Wanna cut wages maybe start with public works, mayor's and other civil servants and ministers.

Crustyolddude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No
I say pay them. I'm sure as chit not going to do it. Anyone who has ever sat in a ER waiting for awhile would understand what they go through. Bleeding, pooping, Crack heads, babies and deaths. Nurses see some chit and it takes a special person to do that job and I'm pretty glad they are there. Wanna cut wages maybe start with public works, mayor's and other civil servants and ministers.
No. We Albertans elected UCP to make cuts in government spending. 50% of Albert budget is health. 35% Education. Guess where cuts will be made!! Health, education. First easy cut, is pay Canadian market rate for nurses. Nurses highest paid in Canada. Get the Nurse Unions wages, back to equal rates as rest Canadian provinces. it’s not just nurses. Then are the nurses helpers whom also likely have separate union, will need review of there payroll, as well porters, cooks, administration, management, etc.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A bit off topic but the above comments apply to all govt funded services.
Police, fire dpt., teachers.
Just as fat on top, benefits and pensions.
Nobody outside of govt budgeting gets treated so well.
Entire govt budgeted system needs revamp through and through.
Takes 5-7 private sector taxed people to support one govt worker on average through to the end of retirement.

And private sector Employees get nowhere near the same benefits.
It's outrageous.

Have immediate family that are govt employees and they actually believe the royal treatment is their right regardless the burden on the rest of those getting taxed.

It's outrageous to listen to.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No

No. We Albertans elected UCP to make cuts in government spending. 50% of Albert budget is health. 35% Education. Guess where cuts will be made!! Health, education. First easy cut, is pay Canadian market rate for nurses. Nurses highest paid in Canada. Get the Nurse Unions wages, back to equal rates as rest Canadian provinces. it’s not just nurses. Then are the nurses helpers whom also likely have separate union, will need review of there payroll, as well porters, cooks, administration, management, etc.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be fun to show up to the hospital the day after the nursing staff finds out they are taking a 5-10% pay cut?

The ones in the suits need a pay cut. I feel as though government officials should not make more than the average of the constituents he or she represents

JayT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be fun to show up to the hospital the day after the nursing staff finds out they are taking a 5-10% pay cut?

The ones in the suits need a pay cut. I feel as though government officials should not make more than the average of the constituents he or she represents
The problem with paying government officials so little is they end up being corrupt immediately. It takes no time at all for somebody to bribe them, and them accept it. Or they create legislation in favour of their own Investments , which happens regularly anyway I guess. If you pay them well, hopefully they're less likely to take a bribe although most probably still will.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem with paying government officials so little is they end up being corrupt immediately. It takes no time at all for somebody to bribe them, and them accept it. Or they create legislation in favour of their own Investments , which happens regularly anyway I guess. If you pay them well, hopefully they're less likely to take a bribe although most probably still will.
Doesn't matter how much they get paid. If there is a way to make more... they will. Greed is a nasty thing.

vrscr43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unions are the problem. Instead of rewarding hard work they reward laziness by enabling people. The funny part is alot of the nurses and union people want to shut down Alberta oil and our economy Not realizing just how much it contributes to the entire canadian economy. Shut down the hand that feeds you, and what a shock you get pay cuts... you have to a special kind of stupid to not be linking these things together.

Top Bottom